Cans for Classical, Trance and Rock
Nov 6, 2008 at 5:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

dRummie

Head-Fier
Hello Head-fi,

I'm looking for a pair of good all-around cans with good detail, extension and clean bass that are also engaging and comfortable. Reading the forums for some months now, I'm still no closer to an answer. For a while the SA5000 sounded like the ticket, but I read that they're picky about source and amp (my source will likely be a portable DAP), and a purchase of both, plus the cans, just isn't in my budget.

I'm new to hi-fi, and am more than happy not reaching for the stars right away, but I've not heard of any cans at the lower end that can handle most genres without being too polite.

Is there anything that would sound engaging with most music, with emphasis on the genres in the topic title, and can be driven out of a PDAP? Ideally I'd like cans that can be driven out of a PDAP for now, but will grow when I purchase an amp in the near future. My budget for both is around cdn$500

Currently I'm looking at:

SA5000 (still
triportsad.gif
) or maybe the 3000
K701
DT880
SR225 (probably not, unless they're good all-around?)
DT48/150 (I'm a bit of a detail freak)

Any help is appreciated
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 6, 2008 at 7:43 PM Post #2 of 8
Maybe the Audio Technica AD900. I find the AD700 engaging enough for rock and great for classical. The K701 and DT880 will require an amp that will be out of your budget. The SR225 isn't a good all rounder.

Nov 6, 2008 at 7:49 PM Post #3 of 8
Ergo 2 by Precide SA

Nov 6, 2008 at 9:12 PM Post #4 of 8
Regarding the DT150. They are great headphones, but I don't think they are that detailed. Not more so than other cans in the same price range. Think of a closed Sennheiser HD580.
And they are not very comfortable.

For good detail, extension and clean bass that are also engaging and comfortable, you could also take a look at the K601.

Nov 7, 2008 at 4:33 PM Post #5 of 8
Thanks for the feedback. I've read the K601s are harder to drive than the 701s - would I be able to get an appropriate amp in my budget?

Can anyone provide a quick comparison between the Ergo 2 and the AD900? Neither headphone seems all that popular, so the search function isn't helping.

Nov 7, 2008 at 6:15 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by dRummie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the feedback. I've read the K601s are harder to drive than the 701s - would I be able to get an appropriate amp in my budget?

I've read the opposite: K701 is harder to drive and very amp depended.
I think that the K601 will work with most integrated amplifiers, pre-amps, receivers and the like. And headphone amps of course.

Nov 7, 2008 at 7:33 PM Post #7 of 8
Thanks, Tiemen.

Another question about the Ergo 2, possibly a silly one, I have a rather small head, would I have trouble getting them to stay on comfortably?

Nov 10, 2008 at 7:40 PM Post #8 of 8
Anybody? It's hard to find info on the Ergos, and for something that expensive I'd like to know a fair amount before buying.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back