Cans for Acoustic/Vocal music?
Apr 25, 2011 at 8:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

eMotion3287

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, I'm looking for some cans for leisure listening. I have some DT770 32Ohms and RE0s for my Cowon on the go but I want some phones for my computer. I've been told that Audio technica is to acoustic like grado is to rock but I've never used any. I want phones for acoustic/banjo/orchestra music (john Mayer, matt costa, sufjan Stevens, etc) and Vocal music (
Sarah brightman, Celtic woman, josh groban, etc). I need cans for my room open or closed. I just want pure, clear, vibrant, tear jerking sound. Any help is appreciated.

Apr 25, 2011 at 9:23 PM Post #2 of 14
You can check the AD900's. 

Apr 25, 2011 at 10:57 PM Post #3 of 14
Quote:
Hey guys, I'm looking for some cans for leisure listening. I have some DT770 32Ohms and RE0s for my Cowon on the go but I want some phones for my computer. I've been told that Audio technica is to acoustic like grado is to rock but I've never used any. I want phones for acoustic/banjo/orchestra music (john Mayer, matt costa, sufjan Stevens, etc) and Vocal music (
Sarah brightman, Celtic woman, josh groban, etc). I need cans for my room open or closed. I just want pure, clear, vibrant, tear jerking sound. Any help is appreciated.

The 650s are good for acoustic and vocals as are K701s.  The 650s would be my recommendation for a budget-rig (paired with an Audio-GD NFB-12).  The K701s are a little more demanding and far more picky in that they practically need transformer-coupled tubes for the midrange to be at it's best, in other words, it's more expensive to do them justice.

Apr 26, 2011 at 3:36 PM Post #5 of 14
Yeah the 701's have always been my 1st choice but buying them does come with buying an additional $2-$300 minimum worth of gear to run them. The 650s are legendary and I've used them before and have to agree. So you guys think I should go 650's with an amature rig vs audio technica on the same rig? Are AT's not as good as I've been lead to believe? Thanks for the help guys!

Apr 27, 2011 at 7:16 AM Post #6 of 14
I'm using the AD2000s for acoustic (John Mayer, Jack Johnson, Newton Faulkner), rock (Muse) and alternative (Phoenix, MGMT, Death Cab for Cutie, Coldplay) and these ATs are built for these genres IMO.

Apr 27, 2011 at 9:38 AM Post #8 of 14
AKG K702 is nice, but they don't have forward sounding vocals to me. Not like you're right there near the stage with the singer, bu you're about 2 rows back. Nothing wrong with that and it depends on what you want.

My priority in a headphone is good vocals, especially female. I love them to have forward sounding mids. My favorites are the following. All have forward mids.

Koss Pro DJ 100

These have such good female vocals and are especially good for Japanese Pop. Mids are forward sounding and they even have a good amount of bass. One of my absolute favorite budget amps. I'd take this for vocal oriented music over the K702 any day! I do love my K702 though.

Audio Technica ATH-AD2000

Not worth the full retail price of $600-$700 or whatever it is, but these are great for female vocals and one of my favorites for acoustic music. These had the  most forward mids I've ever had in a headphone. Maybe too forward. For some people the driver will rest against the ear, which is annoying. Amazing how such a good headphone doesn't require an amp 100% of the time.

AKG K601

Don't like the soundstage or distant sound of the K702? Try this! It's more upfront and has slightly more forward mids compared to the K702. For me it makes music much more fun and engaging. It also seems to have slightly more bass than the K702. Needs a powerful amp of course. E9 at the bare minimum. Absolutely no portable amps!

Sennheiser HD-650

I prefer this by far over the K702 for female vocals. On paper, the upper mids aren't as forward, but they feel like it when you actually listen to them. Some of the best vocals I've heard. They even might be better for male vocals over female. I've found that for acoustic music they're best with a perfectly neutral amp.

Sennheiser HD-598

Yes, one of the first headphones that Sennheiser haters might actually love! One of the first Sennheiser headphones I actually loved right out of the box. It's mids are more forward than the HD-600 and 650, but probably not as much as the K601. Despite the forward mids it's signature is quite smooth an nothing will jump out and annoy you. If this wasn't good enough it has one of the best soundstage there is and is even larger than that of the HD-600 and HD-650. It seems to be perfect for movies, games and music. These are more fun to listen to than the HD-650, but it's not better, just different. Very comparable to the K601, but I think MAYBE he HD-598 has more treble. I'll need to compare them. This is less picky about amping.

Shure SRH-840

Large, heavy and awkward, but I loved these for female vocals.

AKG K240 Studio

Best headphone deal ever. Such a good sounding fairly neutral headphone for under $100. Seems to even be good for gaming. I prefer mine even over the Sextett LP! You can even upgrade it with velour pads. Vocals are good, but more distant than those found on the SRH-840, DJ100 and K601.

Apr 27, 2011 at 9:40 AM Post #9 of 14

Quote:
Most of the AKG hps will do great with acoustics and vocals. K-271, K-240 MKll, K-701/2. The K-702 will need hps amp for around $200 ( I do recommend getting them with amp).

BTW the E9 can drive them with ease and actually make them sound good. Perfect synergy with the K702. Of course buying a better amp is always suggested. My $110 E9 actually drives them better than my $250 Asgard! Ok..back to topic..

Apr 27, 2011 at 12:52 PM Post #10 of 14

Quote:
BTW the E9 can drive them with ease and actually make them sound good. Perfect synergy with the K702. Of course buying a better amp is always suggested. My $110 E9 actually drives them better than my $250 Asgard! Ok..back to topic..

Sorry man, I dont know the E9...  I meant to the Headfive, and Matrix m-stage, a good SS amp will bring the vocals forward.

Apr 27, 2011 at 2:13 PM Post #11 of 14

Quote:

Audio Technica ATH-AD2000

Not worth the full retail price of $600-$700 or whatever it is, but these are great for female vocals and one of my favorites for acoustic music. These had the  most forward mids I've ever had in a headphone. Maybe too forward. For some people the driver will rest against the ear, which is annoying. Amazing how such a good headphone doesn't require an amp 100% of the time.

Look around for good deals on the AD2000s then. I just got them brand spanking new for a smidgen over $500. Pretty worth that dough i would say.

Apr 27, 2011 at 2:30 PM Post #12 of 14

Quote:
I just want pure, clear, vibrant, tear jerking sound. Any help is appreciated.

I vouch for the HD650s when it comes to female vocals, which is the type of music I primarily listen to. Pair them with a good amp and Eva Cassidy's music will bring tears to your eyes. I recently borrowed a friend's K701 for about 2 weeks and it is also pretty good for female vocals. With a tube amp, it is definitely not as sterile or anemic as some people make it out to be. However, in relative terms, I'd say that the mids on my HD650s are fuller and lusher. On the K701, female vocals sound slightly harsher and ever so slightly sibilant. As for bass, the HD650s completely take the cake for impact. Overall, I prefer the HD650s, but $150-$200 cheaper, the K701s are not a bad choice either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back