Cans and coping w hearing loss and tinitus
Sep 26, 2018 at 6:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Toshu

100+ Head-Fier
So I just ordered a set of 6xx headphones, after going to a can jam in Phoenix.
Even though I have upper frequency hearing loss and tinitus, I was able to discern differences in testing good headphones and amps.

My question is how best to handle how I adjust my music, whether via equalizer or anything else so that I "compensate" for the hearing loss as well as not do any further damage to my hearing???

I am planning on going to an audiologist in the next few weeks to get a plot of my hearing loss so that know the frequency and severity of my problems.

Sep 27, 2018 at 9:07 AM Post #2 of 8
Even though I have upper frequency hearing loss and tinitus, I was able to discern differences in testing good headphones and amps.

My question is how best to handle how I adjust my music, whether via equalizer or anything else so that I "compensate" for the hearing loss as well as not do any further damage to my hearing???

I am planning on going to an audiologist in the next few weeks to get a plot of my hearing loss so that know the frequency and severity of my problems.

I don't know - sounds like you are already doing the right things. As you discovered, a full range of 20Hz - 20kHz hearing is not necessary to distinguish between good headphones and amps. Few of us really have that range of hearing anyway.

Sep 27, 2018 at 9:56 AM Post #3 of 8

Like tomb said, I think you're already on the right track. What's the highest frequency you hear clearly? I've got hearing loss above 14kHz (or maybe it's 16kHz? I can't even remember right now) and below something like 27Hz. At least that's what it was a couple years ago. And I have mild tinnitus at something like 8-10kHz. I also suffer from mild hyperacusis that can make sirens and loud, high pitched voices hurt. I've actually never been to an audiologist, this is all self diagnosed. I don't honestly think they'll tell me anything I don't already know (not that I'm advocating for you not going to the doctor).
I never feel like I'm missing anything in music. As far as I can tell, music doesn't have much information above 10-12kHz or below ~40Hz. Also, the brain is pretty good at interpolating and compensating so that, at least in my case, nothing sounds off. I'm sure your doctor would be able to tell you a lot more about that.
All that being said, listening too loud for more than 15 or 20 minutes will exacerbate my tinnitus and I'll need a rest, but I kind of figure I'd feel that way even if I didn't have these problems.
Anyway, I just thought I'd share my experience. I'm sure yours will be different.

Oh, and the HD 650 (same as the HD 6XX) are one of my go-to cans. I love them.

Sep 29, 2018 at 2:42 AM Post #6 of 8
Since I seriously started to listen to music for hours a day with an headphone, my tinitus (mainly a steady his but sometimes a high pitch tone) became less or at least less noticeable. I always listen at a low volume (08/09 o'clock HDVA600 and 07/08 o'clock with the Taurus) because I'm scared like hell the pitch tone will start and never end again. Lucky for me it's a comfortable volume, I hate loud noises.

Usually when I am at an audio store they want to hear off their price setup. But it's always way too loud and doesn't impress me one bit. I heard around 10 expensive setups (stores and at peoples home) and I never felt it. I find nothing special about speaker setups. May be I got head fi ears only :.)

Anyway, I'm glad. One less money pit to deal with. If only I knew how to get rid of the other one. If only Lord if only...

Now if you load your rifle right
And if you fix your bayonet so
And if you kill that man my friend
The one we call the foe
And if you do it often lad
And if you do it right
You'll be a hero overnight
You'll save your country from her plight
Remember God is always right
If you survive to see the sight
A friend now greeting foe

Sep 29, 2018 at 5:01 AM Post #7 of 8
I found that even with slight hearing loss I am still able to enjoy the audiophile lifestyle. All of us lose high frequency hearing as we age. At 56 I can still fully appreciate good equipment. As almost no one has hearing close to the that of their youth, just enjoy life.

I have noticed bass heavy IEMs can cause me issues, and turning up full-size headphones can be trouble. Most likely an Audiologist Is going to recommend no headphone listening at all.

My goal is no more loud concerts or nightclubs. Still I enjoy my equipment profoundly. I’m not sure I would enjoy it as much if an Audiologist told me not to use it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back