CanOpener?
Feb 12, 2014 at 2:06 PM Post #17 of 270
It doesn't seem to work with apps like spotify.
Think I just wasted £2.

You're correct — right now CanOpener does not work with Spotify due to their terms of service. It's very frustrating for us as well since we've actually done the work of integrating Spotify and have internal versions of the app that work well with it, but we're not able to release them. Obviously, we hope this changes, and if anyone would like to help us, DO post on the Spotify community forum or email their support!

That said, I'm very sorry that you don't have a use for the app without Spotify. If you need a refund, Apple can help with that.

Feb 27, 2014 at 12:05 PM Post #18 of 270
A+ rating for can opener.  The EQ and adjustable crossfeed is excellent.  Excellent value and by far the best crossfeed App out there.

I'd love to see my favorite Earsonics SM3 V2 added.

One nitpick - there's a bit of lag when starting up the app fresh, perhaps the logo screen could be preferenced on/off?

Feb 27, 2014 at 4:52 PM Post #19 of 270
Thanks for your support and the kind words! We'll the EarSonics to the list to check out. 

What phone/device do you have? Unfortunately the launch image is not culprit in terms of start up lag. Most of the time spent comes from starting the audio engine and verifying the library.

Mar 1, 2014 at 9:17 AM Post #20 of 270
I am not happy about the fact that the latest update HiFi pack feature cost money , didn't I already pay for the app, why pay again?

It also explains nothing in detail about the extra features that all cost money to upgrade.

Mar 1, 2014 at 10:41 PM Post #21 of 270
I am not happy about the fact that the latest update HiFi pack feature cost money , didn't I already pay for the app, why pay again?

It also explains nothing in detail about the extra features that all cost money to upgrade.

I think its for the sample rate converter, on hq (sounds a lot better, but uses battery faster, Im not sure by how much though. It also gives you the option to turn dither off, but I like it on anyway.

Mar 3, 2014 at 9:34 PM Post #22 of 270
I think its for the sample rate converter, on hq (sounds a lot better, but uses battery faster, Im not sure by how much though. It also gives you the option to turn dither off, but I like it on anyway.

This was our exact intention!

Here's a little more info on the HiFi pack:

In CanOpener 1.2 we improved the FLAC section and added support for other non-FLAC file types via iTunes File Sharing — so for the first time, users could load 192kHz / 24 bit wave/aiff or FLAC files in CanOpener. Since all iPhones currently only support up to 48kHz playback, anything above 48k will automatically get sample rate converted in realtime. Looking at how the built-in SRC was performing, we saw a lot of room for improvement, and we also noticed that we could improve the audio quality slightly in blind tests by adding a dithering component in our DSP. So we began working on our own dithering and SRC algorithm that would be suitable for CanOpener (both in terms of sound quality and iPhone CPU demands). The main purpose of the HiFi pack is to give pro users more control of those features.

The dither algorithm is intended to be be always 'On' for most listening situations, and it will adapt if an external DAC is used with CanOpener (we found a lower dither amount suitable for 24 bit external DACs). Some beta testers asked to have the option to turn the dither 'Off' altogether when they were using an external DAC or digital output for comparison, or just to save battery life, so we made that an option in the HiFi pack.

The HQ SRC is among the best out there, whereas the standard quality SRC is more of a compromise between CPU usage and quality, but still quite good. The HiFi pack gives users the option to choose which SRC is used, since some users are very concerned about battery life, while others want the highest possible quality when listening to FLAC or high sample rate audio files.

Hope this helps!

Mar 3, 2014 at 9:43 PM Post #23 of 270
Thanks fir the info. So it seems that 24/192 files are still downsampled and there is no way to bypass that right ?

also anyway we can have the flac files to be displayed as a folder not as a list? I have loaded all my flac files there and it is hard to navigate when they are displayed as a list even using the latest upgrade.

Mar 3, 2014 at 9:49 PM Post #24 of 270
Yes, unfortunately there's no way to around the downsampling as it is a hardware limitation (unless you use an external DAC), that's why we've tried to use the highest quality SRC: http://blog.goodhertz.com/post/75961255241/canopener-v1-2-can-play-192khz

Would you want FLAC files integrated in the normal library tabs? Or still separated out but with more hierarchy?

Thanks for using the app!

Mar 9, 2014 at 11:49 AM Post #30 of 270
To the developers: great app but please use more legible fonts for my old eyes. My hearing's fine though!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back