ASIO
WASAPI

Foobar2000 Plugins:
Kernel Streaming
ASIO
WASAPI

My Hardware:
Travagans White DAC/Amp with Burr-Brown Japan PCM2702

No matter WHAT player/plug-in I use, the volume slider in Windows Vista can still alter the volume of my music.

Any idea what is going on or what I can do to test/fix this?

Thanks

Mar 13, 2009 at 10:52 AM Post #2 of 23
winamp>options>preferences>output>double click asio plugin>select asio4all>ok

Mar 13, 2009 at 12:48 PM Post #3 of 23
Yes, I used ASIO4ALL in conjunction with the ASIO out plugin and can see it running correctly in the status bar by the clock in Vista. However, I was under the impression that a bit-perfect stream that bypassed the KMixer would mean that it couldn't be modified by the volume slider in Vista.

Mar 13, 2009 at 9:47 PM Post #6 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by sirmasterboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll give it a try on my XP machine tonight to see if it works there.

master you are right about the slider, if set properly volume will be unaffected if moved
get this winamp plugin: out_asio(dll).dll (dll version) Ver. 0.67
here: ãŠãŸã¡ã‚ƒã‚“ã®MIDI/Audioソフト

Mar 13, 2009 at 11:13 PM Post #8 of 23
That is the plug-in I have been using. I'm new to this bit-perfect stuff but not new to computers or Winamp. I's a software developer but I just can't get this to work.

I'd be willing to let someone remote control my desktop via VNC if they want. They would have to use hamachi to first to VPN since I'm behind a college firewall and do not have any incoming connections.

Give me a message on any IM if you wanna help me out, thanks.

AIM: mastaofdf
MSN: mastaofdf@msn.com
Gtalk: sirmasterboy@gmail.com
yahoo: sirmasterboy

Mar 14, 2009 at 6:57 PM Post #9 of 23
I dont know if it will work with Winamp, but try unmapping the device instead of ASIO or KS:

Go to Control Panel - System Hardware - Device Manager - Sound Video and Game Controllers – (device name) - Right-Click and select Properties - Audio Devices – (device name) - Properties - Set "Do not use audio features" and set "Do not map through this Device"

You will need to reboot and then if you change it back to mapped, then you must re-boot.

Not all players support this. Foobar and Jriver do.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio

Mar 14, 2009 at 10:56 PM Post #10 of 23
Are you using Vista x64? I was only able to get ASIO working for winamp using this plug-in (x64 version) - WINAMP5用 ASIO出力プラグイン (x64 version) - ãŠãŸã¡ã‚ƒã‚“ã®MIDI/Audioソフト

Edit: Also, particularly with Vista Ulti x64, as that is what I'm using, I'm almost certain the volume slider will continue to work, regardless. If I hover over the speaker icon on my Vista machine it reads "Volume: 100%, Speakers, Prodigy HD2." I'm led to believe this is only because Vista is allowing me to directly control my sound card, a Audiotrak Prodigy HD2, directly from the task bar. Anyone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Edit 2: I just installed ASIO4ALL on my laptop (and configured it correctly), which is running XP Pro x86, installed the appropriate Winamp plug-in, and the task bar volume slider still has control over the volume. If I open my sounds and devices menu, my audio device right above the volume slider is listed as Conexant HD Audio output, which is the laptops sound device.

I don't have a USB DAC to test whether or not the volume slider should cease to function in your particular case, however. In any case, you should also disable windows sounds, as they can sometimes cause the mixer to pop back into play and fudge things up.

Mar 14, 2009 at 11:30 PM Post #11 of 23
Vista has got no Kmixer to bypass.

Mar 15, 2009 at 12:32 AM Post #12 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by sirmasterboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No matter WHAT player/plug-in I use, the volume slider in Windows Vista can still alter the volume of my music.

That is the job of the volume slider. You are trying to fix a problem which is not a problem.

Edit: Imagine if someone were using a program that utilizes ASIO and a program which uitilizes DirectSound simultaneously, and wanted to hear both and adjust the sound of both simultaneously. Why shouldn't it be possible? Surely if one couldn't do it (and with some sound devices one can't), one might ask how "fix" that problem as well.

Mar 15, 2009 at 1:45 AM Post #13 of 23
Thanks guys. I really do appreciate the help and such.

I am using 64bit but I can't get the 64bit plug-in to work. It says the plug-in can't be started.

I only assumed I was having a problem from reading other posts here where people stated if the volume slider was still functional then I wasn't getting bit-perfect, which is my goal.

I do fully believe at this point that ASIO is working and that the volume slider is a separate point. At 100% volume I believe that it should be bit-perfect but i just wanted to make sure.

Mar 16, 2009 at 3:58 AM Post #14 of 23
If you really want to get rid of that Master volume you need to disable the mixer device through device control panel. You still get output but no input ports (IIRC).

jiitee

Mar 16, 2009 at 3:12 PM Post #15 of 23
I use Vista64 w/foobar & WASAPI, only volume control which works is the knob on my Amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back