CanJam SoCal 2022 (September 17-18, 2022)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 2, 2022 at 12:23 PM Post #106 of 687
Wells Audio added to exhibitor list!
I have volunteered to help Jeff Wells at his table!
Looking forward to seeing you all at CanJam. Please stop by to say hi :L3000:

Jul 2, 2022 at 2:05 PM Post #107 of 687
Happy I could arrange my schedule to attend! I’m clearly making up for lost time; this’ll be my first “three-rounder” year after New York and Chicago. Focus so far in 2022 has been portable gear, not sure which way I want to go in SoCal: stay in this lane or focus on desktop gear. Abundance of options!

2021 socal food thread
Don't forget to look up and chat about interesting restaurants in the SoCal food thread - tons of recommendations.

Money.
Lots of money =D

1. Your standard portable audio player and music, along with type favorite headphones/earphones for comparison.

E.g. A ton of the samples might be heavy rock, let's say. But if you only listen to classic music, you won't get a good idea listening to headphones playing a different genre.
(You can't unplug some headphones to use with your player, but many can. Naturally, ask first.)

2. Earplugs / Eargasm noise reducing plugs / active noise canceling headphones

While most don't try to blast music at full volume, tons of people chatting makes for tired ears.

Good to give them a rest before comparing headphones, especially if you're itching to buy a $1000+ Audeze LCD-X and wonder if they're any good.

3. If you plan to buy, something to carry - sack, pack, backpack - so you don't have to go all the way back to your car/room to drop off a handful of freebies, brochures, headphones etc.

4. Sunglasses. Anytime you're outdoors long in SoCal summers, it's bright!
Polarizing best....you cut through the smog.

5. If you have any allergies, allergy medication, masks, etc. While you'll naturally bring masks and proof of covid vaccination card anyways (since CA has gone in and out of requiring them), there's no ready pharmacy nearby within easy walking distance afaik.
Smog here is usually the worst in the country, and friends get sniffles visiting.

6. Cash and credit card.
Some vendors take only one or the other, most can take both, but a glitch in their credit card machine or lack of cash change can hamper that sale special purchase.

7. Phone charger/power bank if you need the phone powered all day while listening to tons of headphones.

8. Everything you bring labeled or tagged. There have been people leaving everything behind many listening tables ago. Try to make things easy to return.

9. Wipes.
I tend to use Zeiss Lens Wipes (Wal-Mart) that is compatible with almost all surfaces and headphones. Good when you're lending out your gear for others to listen to.
(For vendor headphones, ask if they don't clean after each person and you're worried before you clean for them.)

10. Notepad and pen.
I usually do that to take immediate impressions faster than typing into phones, notes, contact numbers, etc.
Waiting even one more table to take notes often means the memory has faded or changed.

11. And if you're not driving to the event, but coming from the airport, both uber and lyft, maybe even the local taxi apps.
Great list. One thing I’d add that I’ve only come to appreciate after a number of years is don’t overestimated how much time it takes to listen, and that general ear (and overall basic physical) fatigue is a real thing. Better to spend reasonable quality time (while respecting others who also are waiting it listen) with one setup, rather than trying to rush around to listen for ALL the equipment. Based on how hard it can be for some of us to get into situations for listening to all this amazing gear, it’s still probably not best to try and gorge on all of it in just two days, lol.

Jul 2, 2022 at 8:13 PM Post #109 of 687
Flight and room booked as well.

Jul 2, 2022 at 8:21 PM Post #110 of 687
Booked a room and a flight-- California here I come :D

Really surprised for a renowned reviewer such as yourself you don't even have any CanJam badges :thinking:

Finally coming back there after 2 year hiatus! Super excited for this since the number of exhibitors was a lot more this time!

Jul 3, 2022 at 12:20 AM Post #111 of 687
renowned reviewer

lol...I think that's an overstatement. If I'm renowned for anything it's having the good fortune to be a member of one of the most thoughtful, positive & informative communities around.

you don't even have any CanJam badges :thinking:

They're hard for me to get to generally due to being really far away and/or during times of the year that are very inconvenient. Plus I'm still something of a noob. This hobby started for me in early 2019- I was ready for a Canjam by the start of 2020 and almost made plans to attend CanJam SG that March...then everything went sideways and is only now starting to get back to normal somewhat. I'm really excited to finally having the opportunity to attend one of these.

Jul 5, 2022 at 2:44 AM Post #115 of 687
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back