CanJam SoCal 2022 (September 17-18, 2022)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 14, 2022 at 4:40 PM Post #271 of 687
Sweeeet, looking forward to this event!

Woo hoo! Getting the band back together! 🥳

Anyone know if one of the retailers will have the Sony IER-Z1R up for demos?

The Source AV is a Sony dealer, and I know they're bringing a few Sony pieces, though I don't know if the IER-Z1R is amongst them. Might be worth it to request that @TSAVJason or @TSAVWayne to bring it along if they can? :relaxed:

Kinda have mixed feelings about it being the biggest Canjam yet. 😬 Was kinda hoping it would be kinda chill…oh well! 🤷 I’m sure it’ll be a blast!
Accept the fact you cannot audition everything!
Do your homework, and come up with a "cannot miss" short list. Emphasize on list being short!
After you cross all items in the short cannot miss list - everything else is gravy :wink:

Yup, what @Zachik said. At my first CanJam, I had three days to cover thirty-six exhibitors (CanJam used to be three days long back then). Despite my best efforts, I only got around to 75% of them. I was sad about it at the time, but I've since learned that I carried unrealistic expectations to begin with. This year, we have two days, and well over 60 exhibitors, so prioritization will be key.

Me too. First CanJam, first audio show!

On that note - and this is for everybody that is coming to their first CanJam - please don't be a stranger. 😃

In following this thread, I'm sure you've noticed that a lot of us here know each other. This is one of the hallmarks of this community: that we often form real-world friendships through in-person events, like CanJam. I strongly suggest that you strike up conversations, introduce yourselves, accept invites to have lunch/dinner with others, etc. More often than not, this results in lasting and rewarding friendships.

Aug 14, 2022 at 4:51 PM Post #272 of 687
In following this thread, I'm sure you've noticed that a lot of us here know each other. This is one of the hallmarks of this community: that we often form real-world friendships through in-person events, like CanJam. I strongly suggest that you strike up conversations, introduce yourselves, accept invites to have lunch/dinner with others, etc. More often than not, this results in lasting and rewarding friendships.
Very well said and very true! :beerchug:

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Aug 14, 2022 at 7:09 PM Post #273 of 687
Wow, that's cutting it close. With any luck, there will be some kind of flight cancellation beyond your control, forcing you to stay another day. 😉
My flight is at 11pm, plenty of time to eat and get to the airport. UA changed the equipment so I did look for a flight the next day since I wouldn't get a good sleep on the new aircraft, but the fare difference is too much to be worth it. I could always tell work my flight was cancelled and I was rebooked :ksc75smile:

The Counter could work :wink:
We've gone there the last two SoCal CanJams on Sunday, third time is a charm. Plus, nothing like a good burger to keep you fueled for the drive home

@1Audiophool Echoing what @Zachik and @warrenpchi said, and @musicman59 emphasized - make a priority list, have snacks with you, rest your ears and make sure to take time to meet folks. In those discussions, I've built friendships and learned a lot about the audio equipment. And make sure to engage with the vendors, all of us have come to know them quite well too.
Just as an example, I went to CanJam NYC earlier this year without a list since I knew friends would be there, a great opportunity to hang out with fellow audiophiles.

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2022 at 12:36 AM Post #274 of 687
My flight is at 11pm, plenty of time to eat and get to the airport. UA changed the equipment so I did look for a flight the next day since I wouldn't get a good sleep on the new aircraft, but the fare difference is too much to be worth it. I could always tell work my flight was cancelled and I was rebooked :ksc75smile:

Just don't let them see this thread! 😂 No, forreals, don't let them see this thread. I can't remember who it was, but there was a member who once got called in to see his boss following a CanJam one year, because his boss was an enthusiast (lurker mainly) who couldn't make it to the show, but wanted to hear all about it lol.

And make sure to engage with the vendors, all of us have come to know them quite well too.

Yes. 🙂

We don't talk about it often these days... but one of the main goals of CanJam, going all the way back to the very first CanJam SoCal in 2015, is our desire to keep enthusiasts and manufacturers in touch with one another.

These days, many if not most industries feature a large contact gap between product designers and those that they design products for (i.e. us). And while this kind of gap is sometimes necessary due to scale/volume, it's our hope to maintain a direct link as much as we can, for as long as we can.

This is why, when you come to CanJam SoCal 2022, you won't be limited to speaking with marketing representatives or PR. In many cases, you will be talking to the actual people who are directly responsible for what you are hearing. Wanna chat with somebody from Dan Clark Audio... how about Dan Clark himself? Audeze? Come meet Co-Founder and CEO Sankar Thiagasamudram. For ZMF Headphones, you can hang out with Zach Mehrbach directly, the man who puts the ZM into ZMF. And the list goes on and on.

Aug 15, 2022 at 5:12 AM Post #276 of 687
How much is it to go to SoCal CanJams or other Canjams ? Taking into travel and accommodation expenses.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Without knowing which CanJam you're referring to, we don't know what the destination will be. And furthermore, without knowing where you'll be coming from, we don't know what your origination point is either.

However, if we arbitrarily select CanJam SoCal as a destination, and St. Helena Island as an origination point, then we know you'll have take a flight from St. Helena (HLE), to Johannesburg (JNB), to either Hamad (DOH) or Schiphol (AMS), and then onto Los Angeles (LAX), and then complete the last leg to Irvine via a ground transportation option. I don't know what the current prices are on those flights, but I would imagine that the total of those four flights could be rather expensive. Then again, if one is a resident of the Astoria at Central Park West Apartments in Irvine, which is directly across the street from the Irvine Marriott, I would imagine that it's fairly economical?

If you let me know where you'll be traveling from, and confirm CanJam SoCal as your destination, I'd be happy to try plotting out a travel plan to guesstimate something for you. :slight_smile:

Aug 15, 2022 at 8:28 AM Post #277 of 687
For myself and my son to attend- $150. Including tickets, gas and food. :L3000:

Aug 15, 2022 at 8:56 AM Post #279 of 687
For me.... $1,600 plus food, drinks & transport plus any CanJam 'souvenirs' and the obligatory Disney Galaxy's Edge 'goodies' when I visit. By the way..... I'm travelling from the UK! 😁

Aug 15, 2022 at 10:41 AM Post #280 of 687
I can totally hear the level start tones from that Vectrex btw... dun-dun dun-dun, dun-dun-dun-dun-dun... pew pew pew pew pew! :joy:

Aug 15, 2022 at 12:31 PM Post #281 of 687
$150 quite steep.
That statement, regardless of context, has no place in this hobby! :laughing:
(unless you start adding zeros...)

Aug 15, 2022 at 4:57 PM Post #282 of 687
Aug 15, 2022 at 8:02 PM Post #283 of 687
How much is it to go to SoCal CanJams or other Canjams ? Taking into travel and accommodation expenses.
My flight from Kentucky, room and food should come in under $1K and totally worth it to me.

Aug 15, 2022 at 8:06 PM Post #284 of 687
My flight from Kentucky, room and food should come in under $1K and totally worth it to me.
That assumes we do not let @NovaFlyer choose the restaurant for dinner :laughing:

Aug 15, 2022 at 8:09 PM Post #285 of 687
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back