CanJam SoCal 2022 Impressions Thread (September 17-18, 2022)
Sep 19, 2022 at 3:46 PM Post #332 of 638
DA4A840F-20DA-4D61-AF8B-02F4ABD3FF23.jpeg

Had to sneak in a visit to In-N-Out before heading back to the east coast tonight. It was a blast California, hope to redo this again next year!

Sep 19, 2022 at 3:46 PM Post #333 of 638
HifiXman's Take
On Canjam Socal 2022:

A, Wells Audio Headtrip Monologues:

IMG20220917104401.jpg

The first setup I heard at the show which is definitely different to both the analysis focused Headtrip I and II that could tend to be a tad hot in the highs. With Well's own tube dac and preamp, the monologue system sounds warm, analogue, dynamic and authorative. As a result LCD5 feels as being driven fully with bass and button ends. Jeff, the CEO and Engineer, told me he could also add speaker posts with the output of 65W for 4 ohm without extra charge.

B, Tech talk with DCS engineer
(With my pretentious British accent:)

IMG_20220917_165943.jpg
I had a tutoring session with one of the greatest and youngest engineer minds in the industry. The DCS folks in general are super caring, passionate and informative.

We chatted about dac technology as if more transformers the merrier ? What are the options for R2R to decide DSD? How could Lina dac use 4 bit narrow band to decode DSD. Besides, I showed him the interior design of DCS's new mega competitor from Japan, soulnote 3 Series, which I genuinely adore.

We covered the master clock technology, as the jitter issue of adding an external master clock, clock bypass vs clock lock, how many clocks do we need and phase sync for multiple clocks, what is the role and function for the built in clock and master clock.

We talked about the headphone amplifier technology and the pros and cons of implementing Class A, Class AB, and Class D.

I may not the biggest fan of DCS in the past as they sound a bit too smooth and too bland to me. Yet my sonic preference may change over time from beautiful and ethereal tuning and tonality (MSG) to realistic true to life sound with great spatial cues. Hearing the new Line myself, I am taken aback largely. While it still sounds as DCS , but I can feel more muscle and bones within a realistic and astronomical three dimensions with minimal colorization different from many fun sounding R2R dacs. I ab compared Sus, TC, Utopia 2022 and LCD5 in Lina system with and without clock. Even with HD800s XLR input, the large room doesn't sound empty, exaggerated nor void, but instead fulfilled and organic. The biggest surprise might be the flagship from Spirit Torino Valkyria Titanium, which perse could be a bit intense, forced and analytical but largely organized by Lina system. I prefer this setup than the one with Spirit's own flagship amp, which is super cool and aesthetically consistent to this can. If I have to choose a show fave, it is pretty much my solid Top 3.

What make Lina special is the amount of work, heart, passion, faith, and knowledge of these engineer brains. Both the dac and amp are built from ground up which are totally distinctive to Bartok. It is the implementation that set the units apart. I will say Lina has the most accurate location in a natural and giant space, magical for on your face, agressive and beefy cans. Yet I still long for some human factors that could move me more in Lina system.

C. Solid State Amps:
OG vs Young Blood
IMG20220917144252.jpg
This year in solid state headamp world, we have witnessed many young blood as Enleum, Zahl, and the aforementioned Lina as well as many traditional speaker minded companies debuted their first headphone amp, as Boulder and Esoteric.

I would say solid state amps are more similar, and yet they could also be different. I can feel the dynamics and authoration of Enleum ( love the design of driving both speakers and cans, cleaner and smoother than Zahl, but definitely not at the level with Riviera) and Zahl (similar tuning as Enleum but with bigger headroom, more power, and EQ functionality that could be fun to play); the neturality and dark background of the classic Benchmark system (will Benchmark have a DAC 4 with ESS 9038 pro? not likely as I'm told); the warmth, air and musciality of Headamp GSX Mini; the big headroom, dynamics and clarity of Headamp GSX Mark II (pairs well with Weiss and MSB Discrete); the nuances and control of Niimbus (the previous so-called best solid state); the muscle, weight, strong dynamics, imaging and full solid notes of Boulder 812 (probably the most dynamic built-in head amp in all- in-one products, yet I wish for more spatial information), and the transparent, three dimensional and analogue sounding Esoteric N05XD.

Do I think the young blood could replace the OG? It is a hard call as they vary In sound representation with distinctive sonic signature. All I can say is they are definitely solid!

D. Private Room Retreat

I feel lucky enough to join a silent room with my beloved BHSE with Weiss 503 and Boulder dac/pre/ headphone amp driving both ShangriLa SR and Stax X9000. I feel there is no limitation to the great potentials of the electrostatic OG BHSE.

Despite of all the experiments I did on BHSE, I am still highly impressed with the combo of Weiss dac and ShangriLa SR, which is my easy top 3 system at the show for sure. I feel it is more open, easy to ears, and more relaxed for long time listening than some alternative at this price range. One fellow audiophile friend in this room told me he can't listen to X9000 after hearing ShangriLa SR in this set-up. Back in Canjam London earlier this year, with HifiXman's own ShangriLa amp and Lapizator Tube DAC, folks told me after the show that they found it too sharp, lean and bright, which I can totally predict and also ganrantee it is not the case in this setup.

For tube rolling lovers, I'm mesmerized by Siemens EL34 tubes on BHSE with DCA Voce. I always know they are good tubes but till I heard it could I know how great they are. I might even prefer it to my Mullard XF2, the widely deemed best Mullard EL34. Siemens is definitely on my radar now.

E. HifiXman's TTEC Theory:
(The Two Ends of the Continuum)

When you have enough empirical listening experience and observations of gears, it is natural to grow some personal philosophy and subjective generalization.

My theory is in many cases, if not all, the imaging (microdetails) and sound stage (macro-details) are, more often than not, sitting in the two opposite ends of the continuum, especially on entry, mid and mid-high fi level.

I found my theory could apply to two very popular products Woo Wa33 and W23. Jack Woo is also very open and precise regarding the sonic difference these two models that is WA33 has bigger stage and soft sound, while WA23 has more solid imaging and bottom end. Yet I'm sure wa234 Mark II, the pioneer monologue headphone amp design, is likely to be an exception to my generalization with both top notch imaging and sound stage. One fellow audiophile friend has pairs of pre-war 300B antique tube which cost the same as the amp 234. I wish I could demo it soon.

F. Reflection on "Good' Synergy

There are ones I thought I know very well feel less familiar this time with their new pairing. A previously warm and bass king electrostactic amp became netural after being replaced with treble focused tubes. I found out the amp that used to add to my Susvara with almost TC's slam has a brand new presentation after paired with dimensionality oriented yet bass light dac.

It is true that the tonality shifted to neturality and the stage expanded in both height and depth. Personally speaking, the original reasons that they got me crazy also dimished quite a bit. Yet I do acknowledge and recognize the positive changes for some other pairing. It made me rethink the classic question as what constitutes good synergy? Complement or enhancement, it is a question,
as well as the beauty of this hobby which is subject to the individual component, system and listener:)

G, My old time favorite all in one

The first time I heard Mytek Empire at Canjam NYC 2021 at its debut, I was like * I have to buy it. Over the last two years, I have tried it with my sus three times at shows at NY, CAl and Chicago and had multiple conversations with the engineer both in person and on the phone. I'm thrilled they added the HAT ( Harmonic Audio Tuning) filters of warm, warm ++, and warm +++ after I expressed my concerns that it could be a tad bright for some cans and systems. I'm told it will be subtle and it is indeed very subtle lol. Shout-out to @justin w. to carry the first batch of Empire in a giant suitcase to the show directly from FedEx on day two so folks could appreciate the new flagship from Mytek.

Even though Hifi has nothing to be with convenience, all in one is so easy to use with the best hands on user experience. After Esoteric's all in one N05XD, I just can't get enough of this simplicity and minimalist all-in-one design as it feels so neat to control everything in one box.

New update added

Sep 19, 2022 at 4:05 PM Post #336 of 638
DA4A840F-20DA-4D61-AF8B-02F4ABD3FF23.jpeg
Had to sneak in a visit to In-N-Out before heading back to the east coast tonight. It was a blast California, hope to redo this again next year!
California done correctly

Sep 19, 2022 at 4:07 PM Post #338 of 638
This was an epic CanJam experience. It was so big, I could have used 2 more days to hear everything I wanted to hear and that includes the fact that I have already heard a lot of current products in my last 3 CanJam experiences. This is my first attempt to create an overall impressions post. I hope you like it. It is a summary of the products I really loved at CanJam Socal 2022.

First of all, I came along with what we call the Watercooler Travelling team. We post on this thread: The Watercooler:

From left to right: @Skyediver, @morserotonin, @Rockwell75, @HiFiHawaii808, @wolfstar76, @stacey, @discord, @Shecky504

IMG_2509.jpg

At CanJam Socal, my favorite portable products were these:

Best new DAP: Hiby RS8. Finally, a TOTL R2R DAP with Android for Streaming. I A/B tested this DAP vs. LP6 Gold and I preferred the sound of the RS8. The sound was more powerful and dynamic with that great R2R natural sound and treble response with great bass. It takes the already great RS6 and takes it up a few levels. I already got on the wait list for buying this DAP.

Here is a picture of the Hiby RS8 paired with the T+A Solitaire P headphone.

IMG_2506.jpg

Best of Show for new IEMs.

Win: Astell & Kern/Empire Ears Odyssey
. To me, this is what I hoped for in an Odin II. It has that glorious bass response you would expect from Empire Ears and their W9+ Dynamic Drivers. But, it also has bone conduction, slightly tamed down upper mids and better treble response. Paired with the First Times Cable and my N8ii, I found it to be the best Empire Ears product yet and I am a huge Empire Ears fan. I plan on buying it.

Astell & Kern / Empire Ears Odyssey

IMG_2475.jpg

Place: Noble Viking Ragnar. This IEM is focused on the mids and I love great mids. From the moment I put these into my ears, I was hooked and totally engaged. It has a big and present sound. The key to a great mids focused IEM is to make sure the bass and treble are sufficient so it doesn't sound bass light and the treble isn't veiled. I think that Noble knocked this one out of the park by finding that balance. I bought this IEM.

Noble Viking Ragnar

IMG_2485.jpg

Show: Unique Melody Multiverse Mentor. For a 12 BA and bone conduction driver. It has big bass. The tuning is fantastic and borders on bass head levels of bass. I think this is the best BA bass I have ever heard. Leo from UM told me that they custom designed new drivers for the bass which gives it is texture which is uncharacteristic of BA drivers. I honestly did not know the driver configuration when I heard it and I though it had dynamic drivers. If it weren't for the above 2 IEMs, I would have bought this. Maybe in the future.

Unique Melody Multiverse Mentor

IMG_2484.jpg

New Cable for Traillii and Advar.

I did not have time to listen and compare all of the great new cables. I did have a mission which was to find 2 new cables. One for Traillii and one for Meze Advar.

For Traillii, I heard that several good candidates were Effect Audio Centurion, Eletech Ode to Laura, First Times Shielding or Meet Again. I already own First Times Shielding and Meet Again and I have a lot of PW Audio cables so I wanted to try something else. Centurion is an outstanding cable. I loved it when I first heard it. But, for Traillii, it killed the bass response. It was too bright. I preferred First Times Shielding. Then, when I paired it with Ode to Laura, it has just the right balance I was seeking. Not too bassy, not too bright. Just the right balance of everything I care about. Bass, mids and treble. And, with a very nice look. The Meet Again cable I may have preferred slightly, especially the new Special Edition, but the green color did not work with the Traillii reddish color. It would go with a nice green IEM. What is my new pairing for Traillii?

Eletech Ode to Laura

IMG_2471.jpg

For Advar, I love the IEM, but I hate the cable. Terrible feel to it. I went to Effect Audio to see if it any of its new Signature Series cables would work. I already heard Ares S and Cadmus in the prototype phase. So, I first tried Eros S. Way too bright and lost the bass response. Same thing with Cadmus. The best pairing was with Ares S. I love the ergonomics of the cable, so I bought it.

Effect Audio Ares S

IMG_2536.jpg

My favorite desktop products at CanJam Socal were as follows:

Full Sized Headphones:

Win: ZMF Caldera. This is the new ZMF Planar headphone. Bevin was nice enough to let me take a pair out into the show room and listen to it with a lot of different amps. By far my favorite pairing was with the DIY amp ZMF had in its demo room. It is known as the Glenn EL3N. If they offered this for sale, I would buy it at any price. Paired with the ZMF Caldera, it was end game sound. It was truly one of the few moments where I couldn't believe what I was hearing. Second favorite was with the Ampsandsound Red October where it took on a very smooth characteristic. Then, the Wells Audio stack which is my dream desktop system where the sound stage expands to sound like a 2 channel system. I will be buying this headphone when it comes out in November.

ZMF Caldera paired with Cayin HA-3A amp

IMG_2518.jpg

What makes the Caldera special is that it sounds like a combination of a Dynamic Driver and Planar headphone. It is just a planar, but Zach tuned it in a way that it maintains that ZMF mid forward sound with technical attributes of a planar making it a one of a kind sound. Interestingly, when you pair the Caldera with different amps, it takes on different characteristics like a chameleon. Zach was aiming for a different sound instead of just competing with planars. I think he achieved it. It sounds like a ZMF headphone, but with the resolution of a planar. Truly spectacular and different. Couple these sound attributes with the beautiful artisan woodwork that only ZMF is known for and you have a one of a kind headphone that everyone should take a moment to hear. It's probably why Zach's demo room was the busiest of the entire show.

Glenn EL3N Custom Amp (I want this amp).

IMG_2519.jpg

Place: Stax SR-X9000. This is my current favorite headphone. I heard it first in Chicago and then at another headfier's home. This time, I got to hear it against other Electrostats including the Shangri-la jr and sr and I loved the X9000 more than any of them. In an A/B test of X9000 vs. Susvara, my prior number 1, the X9000 edged it out due its slightly larger stage. Both have fantastic tonality especially for female jazz vocals and classical music. What is truly fascinating about the X9000 is it does not have an overly ethereal sound typical of other electrostatic headphones.

Stax SR-X9000 paired with Woo Audio 3ES Electostatic Amp

IMG_2529.jpg

Show: T+A Solitaire P. This headphone has fantastic bass. It can really dig deep and extends all they down to 10 hz and below. I got to hear this in a quiet environment since the T+A guys were having problems with their demo set up and I provided them with some cables to help them to allow DAPs to connect to their amp. This the third time I have heard them and this time properly amped. I can say it is fantastic and truly worthy of the praise it is getting from those lucky enough to have heard it. In addition, it can be powered by an DAP. I did get a unique opportunity to hear it paired with the new RS8 DAP from Hiby courtesy of Musicteck. I thought it was a bit under powered because I had it all the way up to 80 to hear the full frequency response, especially its great subbass, but this could be because of the noisy show room floor.

T+A Solitaire P with HA200 Headphone amp

IMG_2486.jpg

AMPs.

I did not have enough time to hear all of the amps I had on my demo list. So, unfortunately, this is not a comprehensive list. But, it does reflect the best of what I heard. The way I judge an amp is if it can properly drive my Susvara. That means it has it normally great mids and revealing treble, but also delivers a great bass response. I usually say that if a Susvara sounds bass light, it is because it is not properly amped.

My favorite amp is the Wells Audio Headtrip II level III monoblocks. I never like the LCD5 until I heard it on this amp. In fact everything sounds good on it. It provided another mind blowing experience. Stage outside of the head. Great separation and resolution. Sounds more like speakers than headphones. I think this amp can make my AirPods pro sound like Susvara.

Headtrip II level III monoblock amps with Commander Level III tube preamplifier and Cipher Tube DAC (my dream end game system)

IMG_2491.jpg

Second favorite is the Woo Audio WA33. This sounds just so good with the 1266TC. The 1266TC really needs a tube amp with great mids to sound right and this amp does it right. It is nearly as good as the Wells Audio system at a fraction of the cost.

Woo Audio WA33

IMG_2533.jpg

Third favorite was the new Woo Audio WA23. Besides making my Susvara sing with a great bass response. It is a beautiful work of art.

Woo Audio WA23 LUNA with my personal Susvara

IMG_2530.jpg

Ampsandsound Red October paired with ZMF Caldera. I love how smooth this made all of my headphones sound especially Susvara. Great bass and smooth treble and overall sound.
IMG_2520.jpg

I got to heard the Benchmark HPA4 headphone amp. I liked it, but I was really looking forward to hearing how the AHB2 speaker amp would sound with my Susvara to see if a speaker amp would level up the sound. Maybe next time.

IMG_2522.jpg

I also did not have time to listen to the Zahl HM1. Next time.

Thanks so much to the head fi team for putting on a great show. I wish it could be over 4-days

IMG_2501.jpg

My favorite reviewers
@Resolve

IMG_2498.jpg

@Precogvision

IMG_2502.jpg

The one and only @crinacle

IMG_2466.jpg

Jack and Dean Vang of Empire Ears. The genius behind their IEMs.

IMG_2472.jpg

I have a bunch more pictures, but a post has a limit of 25, so I will stop here. Thank you Head fi for putting on this terrific show. Next Stop. NYC.

Attachments

• IMG_2521.jpg
    IMG_2521.jpg
    354.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2501.jpg
    IMG_2501.jpg
    518.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2531.jpg
    IMG_2531.jpg
    452.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2460.jpg
    IMG_2460.jpg
    613.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Sep 19, 2022 at 4:14 PM Post #339 of 638
<Please note that this is a work in progress. I am doing it in several parts. I will remove this note when it is finished>

This was an epic CanJam experience. It was so big, I could have used 2 more days to hear everything I wanted to hear and that includes the fact that I have already heard a lot of products in my last 3 CanJam experiences. This is my first attempt to create an overall impressions thread I hope you like it. It is a summary of the products I really loved at CanJam Socal 2022.

First of all, I came along with what we call the Watercooler Travelling team. We post on this thread: The Watercooler:

IMG_2509.jpg

At CanJam Socal, my favorite portable products were these:

Best new DAP: Hiby RS8. Finally, a TOTL R2R DAP with Android for Streaming. I A/B tested this DAP vs. LP6 Gold and I preferred the sound of the RS8. The sound was more powerful and dynamic with that great R2R natural sound and treble response with great bass. It takes the already great RS6 and takes it up a few levels. I already got on the wait list for buying this DAP.

Here is a picture of the Hiby RS8 paired with the T+A Solitaire P headphone.

IMG_2506.jpg

Best of Show for new IEMs.

Win: Astell & Kern/Empire Ears Odyssey
. To me, this is what I hoped for in an Odin II. It has that glorious bass response you would expect from Empire Ears and their W9+ Dynamic Drivers. But, it also has bone conduction, slightly tamed down upper mids and better treble response. Pair with First Times Cable and my N8ii, I found it to be the best Empire Ears product yet and I am a huge Empire Ears fan. I plan on buying it.

IMG_2475.jpg

Place: Noble Viking Ragnar. This IEM is focused on the mids and I love great mids. From the moment I put these into my ears, I was hooked and totally engaged. It has a big and present sound. The key to a great mids focused IEM is to make sure the bass and treble are sufficient so it doesn't sound bass light and the treble isn't veiled. I think that Noble knocked this one out of the park by finding that balance. I bought this IEM.

IMG_2485.jpg

Show: Unique Melody Multiverse Mentor. For a 12 BA and bone conduction driver. It has big bass. The tuning is fantastic and borders on bass head levels of bass. I think this is the best BA bass I have ever heard. Leo from UM told me that they custom designed new drivers for the bass which gives it is texture which is uncharacteristic of BA drivers. I honestly did not know the driver configuration when I heard it and I though it had dynamic drivers. If it weren't for the above 2 IEMs, I would have bought this. Maybe in the future.

IMG_2484.jpg

New Cable for Traillii and Advar.

I did not have time to listen and compare all of the great new cables. I did have a mission which was to find 2 new cables. One for Traillii and one for Meze Advar.

For Traillii, I heard that several good candidates were Effect Audio Centurion, Eletech Ode to Laura, First Times Shielding or Meet Again. I already own First Times Shielding and Meet Again and I have a lot of PW Audio cables so I wanted to try something else. Centurion is an outstanding cable. I loved it when I first heard it. But, for Traillii, it killed the bass response. It was too bright. I preferred First Times Shielding. Then, when I paired it with Ode to Laura, it has just the right balance I was seeking. Not too bassy, not too bright. Just the right balance of everything I care about. Bass, mids and treble. And, with a very nice look. The Meet Again cable I may have preferred slightly, especially the new Special Edition, but the green color did not work with the Traillii reddish color. It would go with a nice green IEM. What is my new pairing for Traillii?

Eletech Ode to Laura

IMG_2471.jpg

For Advar, I love the IEM, but I hate the cable. Terrible feel to it. I went to Effect Audio to see if it any of its new Signature Series cables would work. I already heard Ares S and Cadmus in the prototype phase. So, I first tried Eros S. Way too bright and lost the bass response. Same thing with Cadmus. The best pairing was with Ares S. I love the ergonomics of the cable, so I bought it.

Effect Audio Ares S

IMG_2536.jpg
@HiFiHawaii808 It was an absolute honor to meet you Good Sir!

Sep 19, 2022 at 4:59 PM Post #340 of 638
The only let downs for the entire weekend was my first time hearing any variant of the Focal Utopia even after overnight burn in..... The Focal Utopia 2022 were the machinations of a hypebeast.... It doesn't sound 5 Racks Spectacular for me. I hope to try it another time as I do like Focal's other products and I'm hoping that either it doesn't pair well with a GS-X MkII and it needed more burn in or maybe it's just better suited to Tube Amps. The other was the Noble Viking Ragnar.. It's been a few years since I last owned the Django and K10 both of which I liked a lot for different reasons at the time.. I have no idea what they were going for or maybe they just weren't for me to appreciate at the time. But I try to give a product multiple listens before I concur that it's not my taste... Here's to Redemption!!!!

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2022 at 5:13 PM Post #341 of 638
That UD-701 was the one thing I wanted to listen to that I didn't get back around to. They were having network issues Saturday morning when I came around. Good to know it left a favorable impression.
Having owned the UD-505, I would've loved to listen to the 701n. TEAC makes amazing stuff. They just have an incredible sense of pacing and realism. Their clocking tech is second to none for an OEM DAC/AMP. Glad to hear the impressions were so good. It is a great product!

Sep 19, 2022 at 5:45 PM Post #342 of 638
Here is part 2 of my impressions:
  • ZMF Verite Closed with Soekris DAC and tube amp (sorry, I don’t remember the amp – it was red). Bevin described the sound of the Verite Closed as ‘voluptuous’ in a YouTube interview. Very intriguing – I wonder what voluptuous sounds like? Having listened to the Verite Closed I agree with Bevin – this is a voluptuous-sounding headphone! It has a richness to the midrange that is captivating. The wood earcups look stunning too.
  • DCA Stealth with Benchmark DAC and amp. When I first heard the Stealth I thought that 1) it sounded like speakers, not like a headphone, and 2) it didn’t sound like a closed-back headphone at all. I still feel the same way – this is a spectacularly good closed-back headphone. I also heard the HifiMan Susvara with the same DAC/amp combo. To my ears the Susvara has a typical ‘audiophile’ sound – very clear and incisive. It’s not my thing, but I’m sure many will love it.
  • ZMF Auteur Classic with Glenn OTL tube amp. I spent a lot of time in the ZMF room and tried all their new headphones, including the Auteur Classic. It’s a very nice-sounding headphone – perhaps a little fuller-sounding to my ears than the Atrium while the Atrium has a slighter smoother treble.
  • Audeze MM-500 with Chord Hugo TT2 with M-Scaler. When I first heard the MM-500 described as a studio monitor I was very skeptical – I perceive studio monitors to be bright, analytical and overly detailed. This is not at all what the MM-500 sounds like – it’s a very neutral, natural sounding headphone that’s a joy to listen to. You can just enjoy the music without having it dissected before you. When I heard DMS describe it as a planar HD 650 I didn’t believe it, but after having listened to the MM-500 I kind of agree with him. Nice job, Audeze!
  • ZMF Caldera with Decware/ZMF collaboration amp and Glenn OTL tube amp. The new ZMF planar magnetic headphone looks beautiful and sounds great. The sound is a bit different that some of their dynamic headphones – maybe a bit tighter-sounding? It still has the trademark ZMF sound and it’s a nice variation to have available to choose from.
  • DCA Expanse with Feliks Envy and Chord Hugo TT2 with M-Scaler. The new Expanse was to my ears one of the best headphones at the show. It has the same speaker-like sound as the Stealth, but with a bit more bass, a little more vivid midrange and a slightly smoother treble. I thought that it sounded wonderful – lots of details without sounding bright or strident. The Feliks Envy combo was particularly delectable to my ears. Interestingly, the Expanse dampens outside noise more than most other open-back headphones that I know. I guess DCA makes closed headphones that sound more open and open headphones that isolate more like closed ones? And I love the grille design – it looks very technical and beautiful at the same time. Geek art!
  • Focal Stellia with SPL Phonitor 2 and Naim Unity Atom. The Stellia is a truly beautiful headphone and it just oozes luxury. The leather feels like it was made by Louis Vuitton. When I first heard it I though that it was on the bright side, but this time it was one of my absolute favorites at the show. Stellia, I think I’m in love with you. Juicy bass, nice midrange and smooth treble. It sounded good with both the Phonitor and the Naim Unity Atom. It was my first time with the Naim, and I love the design and quality build. The volume wheel feels especially nice – and lights up when your hand approaches it. Nice touch!
  • ZMF Atrium with Feliks Envy, Glenn OTL, and LTA amp. The Atrium was my absolute favorite headphone at the show. You can stop reading now if you like – that sentence sums up my impressions. The wood is gorgeous, the grill looks like the rose window in the Notre Dame cathedral in Paris, and it sounds phenomenal. It’s more spacious that many other ZMF headphones, but it adds space without adding brightness. For example, the ‘Brothers in Arms’ track by Dire Straits has a kind of sharp drum coming in about halfway through. On many headphones this drum sounds too sharp and becomes unpleasant, but on the Atrium it was just right. The headphone sounded superb with both the Feliks Envy (see a pattern here?) and the Glenn OTL amp. Well done, ZMF!
The TL;DR version:
  • Favorite headphones: ZMF Atrium, DCA Expanse, Focal Stellia, and Audeze MM-500.
  • Favorite amps: Feliks Audio Envy, Schiit Folkvangr, SPL Phonitor 2, and Naim Unity Atom.

Sep 19, 2022 at 6:06 PM Post #344 of 638
Having owned the UD-505, I would've loved to listen to the 701n. TEAC makes amazing stuff. They just have an incredible sense of pacing and realism. Their clocking tech is second to none for an OEM DAC/AMP. Glad to hear the impressions were so good. It is a great product!
The 701N is MASSIVE.. I was expecting it to be about the same size as the UD-505. Stock Photography and scaling in real life are never what they appear to be. I hope I get a chance to hear the 701N in the future. TEAC has been my go to for DACs since I started my journey on Head-Fi 5 Years ago.

I’m Floridian, we don’t have these there, I forgot animal style is a thing 😭
Next time we'll get you right! I know that feeling! I can't have Braum's or Whataburger because I no longer live in Dallas. I appreciate the fact that most Head-Fiers also seem to be foodies as well.

Sep 19, 2022 at 6:25 PM Post #345 of 638
The 701N is MASSIVE.. I was expecting it to be about the same size as the UD-505. Stock Photography and scaling in real life are never what they appear to be. I hope I get a chance to hear the 701N in the future. TEAC has been my go to for DACs since I started my journey on Head-Fi 5 Years ago.
Yeah, it weighs like 24lbs. The UD-505 weighs half that. It is a big boy. I wonder if TEAC will come out with a new master clock to match the size of the UD-701n and the new power amps for stacking. I want to hear the UD-701n badly as the differences in sonics are supposed to be significant. And the UD-505 is an amazing unit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back