CanJam SoCal 2022 Impressions Thread (September 17-18, 2022)
Sep 18, 2022 at 8:54 PM Post #196 of 638
For those who were at the headphones.com booth, thoughts on the SMSL VMV D3 DAC? Very little written about this DAC.

Sep 18, 2022 at 8:57 PM Post #197 of 638
I really thought I was going to leave with a VC coming into this, but I didn’t fall in love with the stabilized/resin pairs they had there.

Tonality and especially the midrange are just right though and I’m looking forward to November.

The star of the show for me was the STAX X9000. Tried it on both the Blue Hawaii and the Woo Audio 3ES. Magical experience. I had to make myself stop listening to it because the budget is not there.

Sep 18, 2022 at 9:05 PM Post #198 of 638
Campfire Supermoon: That's some proper planar bass alright, extends alllllll the way down. Resolution and texture is extremely good. Bass does not bleed over at all into the lower mids. Upper mids/treble a little bit forward but not bothering me surprisingly. Very unique set, personal favorite IEM today. Best set I listened to in portraying the texture of Harsh noise on Tokyo Times Ten and Extract 1 by Merzbow (massive volume warning on those two tracks). For EDM I definitely want some of the other sets that I really enjoyed yesterday. Strong separation, never felt like they were getting overwhelmed.

Hey! Another Head-Fier listening to harsh noise on high-end gear! I thought I was the only one. Well done! I'm a huge fan of Merzbow.

Sep 18, 2022 at 9:07 PM Post #199 of 638
Interesting. I asked if there is a goodwill warranty on the drivers of the OG, since there is an issue that is well known. I bought mine new. Asked on the live video but my question was skipped over. Not a hard question.
Truth be told the interviewer was looking for softball Q’s and the like. Can’t blame him but he tried to skip mine for Dan Clark and Dan caught it and bright him back lol

Sep 18, 2022 at 9:09 PM Post #200 of 638
Truth be told the interviewer was looking for softball Q’s and the like. Can’t blame him but he tried to skip mine for Dan Clark and Dan caught it and bright him back lol
Right, I totally figured that but then that isn't very good interviewing, IMO. And it is a legitimate question. I also assume, because I saw the Focal rep looking at the screen, that he also saw the question. It is something that I am sure many would like an answer to.

Sep 18, 2022 at 9:09 PM Post #201 of 638
Finally time to relax.
i hope everyone was having a great time at the event.. keep safe goin home.

Attachments

• C00BE7B3-870A-4AEB-BDDF-8F17FD77958D.jpeg
    C00BE7B3-870A-4AEB-BDDF-8F17FD77958D.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
Sep 18, 2022 at 9:11 PM Post #202 of 638
  • Elysian/Effect Gaea - the show stealer for me. Aggressive, lively, and dynamic. Absolutely love it

I forgot to mention this one. I picked it up in an idle moment almost as an afterthought and really liked it. The whole signature just works. I liked it more than the Elysian Diva.

Sep 18, 2022 at 9:12 PM Post #203 of 638
I think I was at this too. It’s where I heard the Audio Technica L3000, Sony R10 and Sony Qualia. I ended up buying the L3000 a few weeks later. But yeah they had a good amount of tables for the head-fier and the vendor setups we very basic with no real signage. Think Ray Samuels newest amp was a big deal back then. My how things have changed.
I heard the original Woo Audio WA6 with my HD600 at that show and immediately bought it.

I also won a set of UE Triple-fi 3s in a giveaway!

I think I bought a Ray Samuels amp around that time too.

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2022 at 9:14 PM Post #205 of 638
1663549896499.jpeg

Day 2:
Headamp:
I bring my Omega to compare with the new X9000. Pretty interesting, similar characteristic sound. The Omega is more musicality and the X9000 has a larger sound stage and more detail.

Sep 18, 2022 at 9:18 PM Post #206 of 638
Right, I totally figured that but then that isn't very good interviewing, IMO. And it is a legitimate question. I also assume, because I saw the Focal rep looking at the screen, that he also saw the question. It is something that I am sure many would like an answer to.
Would you, as CEO of a company want to spend any live press time during an event launch weekend talking about previous failed voice coils?

You can see the dilemma. I’m sure they will clear it up if you contact them directly off air so to speak.

Sep 18, 2022 at 9:19 PM Post #207 of 638
Anyone had a chance to try the Warwick Bravura and the new Expanse?
I'm interested in them both and curious how they compare.
I did. I got a chance to try Bravura on all 3 booths (headphones.com, moon audio, Warwick glass room). Bravura didn’t sound quite the same across all 3, interestingly, probably due to ambient noise and power conditions, etc. The glass room is def the best.

Expanse was powered by Felix audio envy. It’s two notches more veiled than Bravura. A lot less details and less life like. (The electrostatic realness is kind of unbeatable IMO) Bass is less defined and softer. Symphony falls apart in that the instruments separation is far worse. The tonality sounds correct. Nothing is too strong or too weak. Overall it’s a laid back, soft kind of sound. But my daily driver is susvara, so I tend to prefer brighter, tactile kind of sound signature.

Sep 18, 2022 at 9:28 PM Post #208 of 638
:
5. ZMF Caldera (??? DAC, Feliks tube amp). Super fun, engaging, punchy, and unique tuning. The bass was super impactful but clean, tight, and quick. Reminded me of a TH900 on steroids. I wouldn't be surprised if it has a Verite reception with most people loving it, but some finding the tuning a bit wonky. I definitely want more time with this one, sounded superb off the Feliks but underpowered by another tube amp in ZMF room. Perhaps a new variation of the ZMF house sound, they sounded different than any other ZMF's, not better nor worse, just different. ZMF headphones are like Pokemon - gotta catch em all!
Can I ask which Feliks amp you listened to the Caldera through? Was it the Euforia (pictured here: https://feliksaudio.pl/product/euforia-anniversary/) or the Envy (pictured here: https://feliksaudio.pl/product/envy).

One is OTL and one not so it would be great to know which one made the Caldera sound so good.

Sep 18, 2022 at 9:28 PM Post #209 of 638
Would you, as CEO of a company want to spend any live press time during an event launch weekend talking about previous failed voice coils?

You can see the dilemma. I’m sure they will clear it up if you contact them directly off air so to speak.
Sure, it is honesty and shows the texture of not just about a release but the quality of a company. You buy a product but you are also buying into a company and they owe you something in return. They don't owe you nothing, you invested with them. So what if something crops up about the Utopia 2022? It is about how customers are treated and respect. It is respect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back