CanJam SoCal 2022 Impressions Thread (September 17-18, 2022)
Sep 18, 2022 at 3:41 PM Post #166 of 638
Wow I feel like I ran a marathon and totally need a drink now. ZMF room not so busy now or at least when I left it.

Sep 18, 2022 at 3:44 PM Post #167 of 638
Many other people said the same as you, so I tend to believe that the tube amp has something to do with the sound improvement. Also, the source was a RME-ADI 2 DAC which is capable of good EQ implementation. I am not sure if what I was hearing was EQed or uncolored sound. I mentioned this in a followup post this morning. Nevertheless, with the right audio chain, the SR1a is capable of great impression, that's good to know.
We never use any EQ in RME's. Also, the VM-1a has no interventions inside of that nature. It simply has incredible authority in bass on it's own.
Of course, there is a knob that turns on the SR1 Open baffle Compensation, and it's the same curve we have in all other amps, as well as in OB Comp. adapters barrels.

RAAL 1995 Stay updated on RAAL 1995 at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/raalribbon https://raalribbon.com/
Sep 18, 2022 at 3:45 PM Post #168 of 638
Its either directly behind the Susvara or this pic was taken day one early, before the rep dropped it off.
Thanks for the impressions. So only voltage output was finalised and working? Current is, of course, the main selling point of the Enleum (and thus Bakoon) amps, so curious for more impressions when that's running.

Sep 18, 2022 at 3:50 PM Post #169 of 638
Two humble requests for feedback from attendees headed to the show today:

1 - Enleum has their $3000 prototype HPA-23RM transportable amp at the Headphones.com booth. Would love to hear more feedback. For those unfamiliar, you're looking for this:

05.jpg

2 - T+A booth has their not yet released Solitaire T over the ear Bluetooth headphone on display. At $1600, it will be the highest priced offering in the BT category. With a fully passive analog cable mode, they are selling it as a premium on the go offering for users who want wired and wireless flexibility. I have not seen a single listening impression online even though it was announced at Munich HiFi and is supposed to ship by the end of this month. It's definitely there as seen in Project Ac3's Day one CanJam SoCal video:

Screen Shot 2022-09-18 at 9.02.25 AM.jpg

Thanks in advance!!!
Anyone at all able to try the Solitaire T at the T+A booth?

Sep 18, 2022 at 3:59 PM Post #170 of 638
Thanks for the impressions. So only voltage output was finalised and working? Current is, of course, the main selling point of the Enleum (and thus Bakoon) amps, so curious for more impressions when that's running.
The current was not built/finished in this unit. It did not exist in the prototype.

Sep 18, 2022 at 4:02 PM Post #171 of 638
Getting a slow rolling start today after listening to Caldera on Nautilus until well after 3am.

20220918_102419.jpg

Atrium on Nautilus has been my favorite chain for some time now due to natural timbre and excellent dynamics. Caldera ups the ante with planar speed and control.

The combo with Nautilus is potent: vivid, powerful, rich, detailed--just ... everything. It's everything I loved about Atrium mashed up with everything I love about Susvara.

The track of the night was "Tin Pan Alley." The entire listen was simply enrapturing. I forgot where I was or that I was even wearing headphones as I hung on every note and nuance, from the most delicate to thunderous.

https://song.link/us/i/193063844

Listening continued into the wee hours and covered diverse ground from Tanerelle to Infected Mushroom. Bass was particularly good--deeply extended, perfectly controlled, and still punchy. "Fading Sun" has been a recent favorite test for bass extension and tonality / timbre; on this chain it was as good as I've heard it--bass digs deep into "felt more than heard" territory anchoring immaculately pure percussion notes.

https://song.link/us/i/351807362

Huge thanks to @ampsandsound for throwing a new pair of rectifiers my way to get my amp back up and running / enabling this unforgettable listening session!
Put Tin Pan Alley on the RSA A-10 (latest update) and the Voce and HE90. Excellent!

Sep 18, 2022 at 4:30 PM Post #172 of 638
I'm sad that I can't make it this year. Probably best to avoid upgrade temptation. Has anything dethroned the Stax SR-009's yet? Is there an X9000 there? The RAALs also look interesting. This conference/expo vibe feels quite different from the old residental meetup vibe of years past.

Sep 18, 2022 at 6:03 PM Post #175 of 638
The Hifiman HE-R9 & HE-R10 pairs lovely with the DX300|Amp 11. I could lose track of time listening to these combinations.

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2022 at 6:21 PM Post #177 of 638
Ya'll need to stop having so much fun and entertain us.

download.jpg
Looool :). I was mentioning in the Auteur thread that too many things sounded amazing, at least with headphones. I think all headphones should have the option to hear from a JDS atom and SDAC to know how they sound on humble gear. I listened to the Meze 109 and the utopia on a burson, so it was interesting how I liked the Meze and was meh on the Utopia. Some of the other gear I heard from 10k+ systems, so of course it sounded great. The Atticus was a world beater on the Ampandsound Nautilus.

I appreciated the vendors that had an option to hear some cans on set ups that we mere mortals might have at home. :)

Sep 18, 2022 at 6:27 PM Post #178 of 638
The grill on the ZMF Atrium reminds me of the large rose window in the Notre Dame cathedral in Paris. Beautiful!
Atrium.jpg

I think I spent too much time in the ZMF room today just drooling over their many special and custom wood variants. So gorgeous!
Verite Open.jpg

i was impressed by the MM500
Same here. I heard that it was designed as a studio monitor so I expected a bright, overly detailed headphone, but it is in fact very neutral and clean sounding.

Sep 18, 2022 at 6:32 PM Post #179 of 638
The Hifiman HE-R9 & HE-R10 pairs lovely with the DX300|Amp 11. I could lose track of time listening to these combinations.
Also with the ES R10.

Sep 18, 2022 at 6:34 PM Post #180 of 638
3. Raal CA-1 (new Sony DAP, Woo WA33). Along with SR1A, the most transparent sound I've ever heard. Its like the veil between the recording and musical performance is lifted, transporting me to the venue. However, like the SR1A, the sound is a bit untamed. Hot/strident/sibilant treble on some tracks, and on two different setups, the sub-bass energy seemed to build up in the cups creating an odd resonance. Also, the Woo WA33 volume was at max to get enough SPL for show environment.
Glad you enjoyed the CA1a in some way. Perhaps if you have the chance, you could one day demo them with a different setup? A 300B amp or 300B pre + SS amp combo or a warmer SS amp should be ideal for CA1a. Or maybe you can also try them with Raal VM1a amp. On my setup, the CA1a doesn’t have any sibilance at all and I’m very sensitive to it. Also, there’s no bass resonance, just clean, fast and impactful bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back