CanJam SoCal 2021 (September 25-26, 2021)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 15, 2021 at 8:38 PM Post #226 of 949
Even with the end of Covid restrictions today, I still saw the majority of people wearing a mask while shopping. I even saw people in their cars alone wearing a mask. :thumbsdown:
I see those poor souls every now and then driving with a mask on it is kinda sad actually.

Jun 15, 2021 at 8:51 PM Post #227 of 949
Keep in mind that people with compromised immune systems for various reasons (cancer, innate immune conditions, etc.). Let's not assume that everyone wearing a mask is someone that is a germaphobe. For many of my friends with compromised immune systems for various reasons, many of them can actually go out more now that fewer people see their precautions as paranoia. For some of them, illnesses mild to most people can effectively knock them out of commission for weeks.

Back on topic, any particular nearby places to eat that people are going to check out during this CanJam? Any local good places for food for people flying in?

Jun 15, 2021 at 11:57 PM Post #228 of 949
Keep in mind that people with compromised immune systems for various reasons (cancer, innate immune conditions, etc.). Let's not assume that everyone wearing a mask is someone that is a germaphobe. For many of my friends with compromised immune systems for various reasons, many of them can actually go out more now that fewer people see their precautions as paranoia. For some of them, illnesses mild to most people can effectively knock them out of commission for weeks.

Back on topic, any particular nearby places to eat that people are going to check out during this CanJam? Any local good places for food for people flying in?

I feel talking about Covid right now is on topic. You have people possibly wanting to come depending on what the state is doing. So me giving info on what I see being a resident not far away is helpful. I have said before if something like this, if you had to wear a mask, makes it a not attend for me, the same decision would be made if I wanted to go to dinner with friends coming in. So as of now, those 2 things are not an issue, but they can change since Newsome still has the option to shut the state down again.

Jun 16, 2021 at 12:29 AM Post #229 of 949
COVID is relevant. However, my point was not COVID, but the implicit negative assumption about people wearing masks despite the relaxed restrictions. Especially since we have seen over the past year that when the standards got relaxed that there was often major backlash, increases in restrictions again, and stagnation. At this point, I would prefer if people played it safe for a few weeks and we don't get yet another shutdown rather than people getting too comfortable again and then yet another restriction and then SoCal CanJam gets pushed back yet another year because people can't wait a few weeks. Several other CanJams have already been pushed to 2022, I don't think anyone wants this event further delayed. This has been going on for over a year, I think we're all sick of this yoyoing of restrictions and would prefer no restrictions. If a mask stop you, that's perfectly reasonable and I respect that. You have every right to not attend events or places that mandate them and I fully respect a person making that decision. However, my personal preference is for people to play it safe just for a few more weeks so we can perhaps finally escape the "Strict Restriction -> Relaxed Restriction -> People relax just a little too much -> Strict Restriction" loop that has been going on for the past year.

Jun 16, 2021 at 1:59 AM Post #230 of 949
Jun 16, 2021 at 9:15 AM Post #231 of 949
COVID is relevant. However, my point was not COVID, but the implicit negative assumption about people wearing masks despite the relaxed restrictions. Especially since we have seen over the past year that when the standards got relaxed that there was often major backlash, increases in restrictions again, and stagnation. At this point, I would prefer if people played it safe for a few weeks and we don't get yet another shutdown rather than people getting too comfortable again and then yet another restriction and then SoCal CanJam gets pushed back yet another year because people can't wait a few weeks. Several other CanJams have already been pushed to 2022, I don't think anyone wants this event further delayed. This has been going on for over a year, I think we're all sick of this yoyoing of restrictions and would prefer no restrictions. If a mask stop you, that's perfectly reasonable and I respect that. You have every right to not attend events or places that mandate them and I fully respect a person making that decision. However, my personal preference is for people to play it safe just for a few more weeks so we can perhaps finally escape the "Strict Restriction -> Relaxed Restriction -> People relax just a little too much -> Strict Restriction" loop that has been going on for the past year.

So maybe 15 more days to flatten the curve, that sounds familiar. :thinking: :smile:

Jun 16, 2021 at 9:42 AM Post #232 of 949
Fixed it for you... :wink:
Dinner's great and all, but we all know that everyone comes to CanJam for the booth babes.

Audio-Technica ATH-ADX5000-09039.jpg

Jun 16, 2021 at 10:50 AM Post #233 of 949
Dinner's great and all, but we all know that everyone comes to CanJam for the booth babes.

Audio-Technica ATH-ADX5000-09039.jpg
Haha - thought you'd post a picture more in line with:
1623855011755.png

Jun 17, 2021 at 9:32 PM Post #234 of 949

Sorry but before 2019 I can’t remember seeing anyone wearing a mask while driving a car alone. I’ve seen people wearing a mask while mowing the lawn but not out and about. I understand people with compromised immune systems but we are talking about a much smaller group of people there.
The thing is masks will not protect you from a airborne virus at all it will help if someone that has it wear a mask but you are not protected from getting it unless you are in full PPE all the time. So the masks are just a placebo for the masses.

Jun 17, 2021 at 10:47 PM Post #237 of 949
Oh great...this is turning into Covid discussion. Where's the administrator?
Agree!
We are all joined here for a common interest in Audio Gear. Not because we are for or against masks or anything else Covid.
If we all just respect each others choice to wear or not wear a mask as some are thinking of compromised love ones and do it out of respect and others have worn them long enough and want to just enjoy getting back to pre-covid normalcy. I respect both views and do not think people are better or worse whichever way they lean
Just want to get back to enjoying audio gear frankly...

I'd much rather read here debates (as well as when I'm on the floor at Can Jam) heated or calm about whose IEM or Fullsize cans are better than others or If Burn In is required or not, or if cables do or do not add to sound, solid state vs tubes, etc. After all isn't that why we all come here?

Getting off my soap box now. Sorry but totally IMO, but getting the feeling I'm not alone.

See everyone at Can Jam so Cal.

Jun 19, 2021 at 4:54 PM Post #238 of 949
Sorry . It’ll be all about CanJam from here on out from me.
@NJoyzAudio See you in SoCal as the hotel,airfare and tickets to CanJam SoCal are booked.

Jun 19, 2021 at 6:18 PM Post #240 of 949
Buke9

Glad to hear your all booked and planning to attend!
Look forward to it and see everyone there!

TM
Me too as I went to the last CanJam as all the crap started in NYC and it has been too long can’t wait.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back