CanJam SoCal 2019 (June 22-23, 2019)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 21, 2019 at 12:02 AM Post #527 of 611
Will there be any free coffee around the hotel? Something about caffeine and headphone testing means 'cloud 10' goodness to me. :L3000:

Also I for one, will sure be following the tip of making sure the volume is turned down before pressing play on any rig. Would hate to blow my hearing or even the drivers from the volume being maxed out.

Speaking of tips, I'm also bringing a super modest setup - my DAP loaded with select lossless test tracks for IEMs, and my mid-fi reference headphone (HD-600 with upgraded silver cable) to test amps, both of which can be useful at times. I've gotten to the point though that I'm able to gauge sound quality of rigs even with songs I haven't heard - provided it's recorded well and with rhythm to get a grip on the transient response, as opposed to classical or chamber music.

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2019 at 5:42 AM Post #529 of 611
Figured it is probably a long scretch but I will ask anyway. Is anyone looking for a one night Saturday stay at the hotel at CanJam rate of $109+tax? Due to a really bad cold I just caught I will not be able to attend the event this year (my first too so its really a bummer).

Let me know if anyone of you are interested. I plan to call the hotel in the morning to see they will be kind enough to waive the cancellation fee due to illness.

Thanks.

Jun 21, 2019 at 9:01 AM Post #530 of 611
Will there be any free coffee around the hotel? Something about caffeine and headphone testing means 'cloud 10' goodness to me. :L3000:

Also I for one, will sure be following the tip of making sure the volume is turned down before pressing play on any rig. Would hate to blow my hearing or even the drivers from the volume being maxed out.

Speaking of tips, I'm also bringing a super modest setup - my DAP loaded with select lossless test tracks for IEMs, and my mid-fi reference headphone (HD-600 with upgraded silver cable) to test amps, both of which can be useful at times. I've gotten to the point though that I'm able to gauge sound quality of rigs even with songs I haven't heard - provided it's recorded well and with rhythm to get a grip on the transient response, as opposed to classical or chamber music.
Coffee at hotel's usually aren't that great.. but then again, i'm kind of a coffee snob according to some. lol.
HD600's are cool to bring but keep in mind that the place will be loud so open back headphones, no matter how well you know it's sound signature, will make it hard to gauge the product you're trying to listen to. I used to bring my HD650's but now i'll bring one of my closed back that i'm very familiar with to reduce outside noise interference and even that doesn't really help. I'm going to guess I'll be the only person walking around with the Sony CD900ST headphones as it's pretty rare in the states. It's been so the past 3 years for me so I have a sense of pride for that. LOL. plus it's been ways for others to recognize me.

Jun 21, 2019 at 10:04 AM Post #531 of 611

I know this isn't free, but there's a Starbucks in the lobby.

Jun 21, 2019 at 10:12 AM Post #532 of 611
I know this isn't free, but there's a Starbucks in the lobby.

laxir-starbucks-0132-hor-wide.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2019 at 10:36 AM Post #533 of 611
Arriving tonight with a small present for Watagump. I am looking forward to evaluating some Noble IEM’s and the Chord Mojo-Poly combination.
The Audeze booth and Synergistic Research both will both be using the Pass Lab HP-1 Amplifier. This will be a wonderful opportunity to listen to the same amp with totally different approaches to power cables , power conditioners, and improved grounding.
And good Mexican food a short walk from the hotel!
David Pritchard

Jun 21, 2019 at 10:39 AM Post #534 of 611
Arriving tonight with a small present for Watagump. I am looking forward to evaluating some Noble IEM’s and the Chord Mojo-Poly combination.
The Audeze booth and Synergistic Research both will both be using the Pass Lab HP-1 Amplifier. This will be a wonderful opportunity to listen to the same amp with totally different approaches to power cables , power conditioners, and improved grounding.
David Pritchard

A gift for moi? Okay, we can be friends.

Jun 21, 2019 at 11:29 AM Post #535 of 611
David Pritchard

Hi David, I'm the guy bringing the Mojo/Poly, will you be bringing music on an SD card? Not sure how you want to use the Poly. I usually demo the Poly as a Roon end point but won't have this ability at the show. Let me know and I'll see what I can get working.

Jun 21, 2019 at 12:16 PM Post #536 of 611
David Pritchard

Just did a quick look on Google Maps and there are several within a mile or so. Was thinking of getting Mexican for lunch today, any recommendations? Thanks!

Jun 21, 2019 at 12:47 PM Post #540 of 611
Anyone know what parking is like?

They have both valet and self, I just went over to do some recon work. If you are staying at the hotel you can use your key card to get out. The rate is $10 a day for people attending the show, not sure if you have to pay the $10 if you are staying there. I spoke to Ethan Warren and Ryan, they are already up and getting things in order. This place has a great staff, you are greeted from several people just walking in, at least I was.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back