CanJam SoCal 2019 Impressions thread
Jun 25, 2019 at 8:52 PM Post #257 of 438
Hey Alex, on a few occasions I wondered if you were going to come say hello like you did in NY. I know you don't hop around from show to show, but hey, it was in the back of my mind. Not sure what the next year will bring, part of me wants to try something new. Jack has been trying to get me on board for a while now and give the EE booth a try. I wont lie, you never know. :wink:

Sorry, Eric, I'm East Coast only. But whichever table you are working at next year, I'm sure it will have plenty of Twizzlers treats :wink: You have to make it to NYC, otherwise what was the point of getting that winter jacket to use it only once? :p

Jun 25, 2019 at 9:11 PM Post #258 of 438
Sorry, Eric, I'm East Coast only. But whichever table you are working at next year, I'm sure it will have plenty of Twizzlers treats :wink: You have to make it to NYC, otherwise what was the point of getting that winter jacket to use it only once? :p

Funny you mention the coat, that topic was brought up at the show. I agree 100%.

Jun 25, 2019 at 10:50 PM Post #260 of 438
Big thanks to everyone who came out to make this a fantastic and fun weekend. This was our biggest CanJam SoCal show to date and can't wait to do this again next year. Next stop: CanJam London on July 27-28! :L3000::smile_phones::L3000:

Thanks for a great Canjam guys! Your hard work is much appreciated by many! Cant wait for London!

Jun 25, 2019 at 10:55 PM Post #261 of 438
When are we having CanJam Australia? :)

Jun 25, 2019 at 11:06 PM Post #263 of 438
Loads of great stuff at Canjam Socal.

Best IEMs I heard were the new 64 audio unnamed flagship. Really spectacular. Close runners up were the Jomo Audio Trinity, the TOTL hybrid SoftEars (Moondrop) and the Shozy x AAW Pola 39.

Was surprisingly not a huge fan of the Noble Khan. I'm a huge Noble fanboy and own (and love) many of their IEMs but these just felt a little dry to my ears. But many people absolutely love them so it's definitely very subjective. These ones just weren't for me sadly.

By far my best experience at this Canjam were my several visits to the Effect Audio booth. You can read my impressions here if you are interested: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/effect-audio-cables-thread.787717/page-245#post-15028648

Thanks so much to Jude and the Head-fi team for a great Canjam. Bring on London!

Jun 25, 2019 at 11:09 PM Post #264 of 438
Loads of great stuff at Canjam Socal.

Best IEMs I heard were the new 64 audio unnamed flagship. Really spectacular. Close runners up were the Jomo Audio Trinity, the TOTL hybrid SoftEars (Moondrop) and the Shozy x AAW Pola 39.

Was surprisingly not a huge fan of the Noble Khan. I'm a huge Noble fanboy and own (and love) many of their IEMs but these just felt a little dry to my ears. But many people absolutely love them so it's definitely very subjective. These ones just weren't for me sadly.

By far my best experience at this Canjam were my several visits to the Effect Audio booth. You can read my impressions here if you are interested: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/effect-audio-cables-thread.787717/page-245#post-15028648

Thanks so much to Jude and the Head-fi team for a great Canjam. Bring on London!

Did we happen to mess around with tips during your Khan audition?

Jun 25, 2019 at 11:10 PM Post #265 of 438
More awesome pictures please.

Here's a few from Sunday!

CJSoCal2019-46.jpg
CJSoCal2019-49.jpg
CJSoCal2019-35.jpg
CJSoCal2019-13.jpg
CJSoCal2019-4.jpg
CJSoCal2019-3.jpg
CJSoCal2019-9.jpg
CJSoCal2019-5.jpg
CJSoCal2019-2.jpg
CJSoCal2019-.jpg

Attachments

• CJSoCal2019-59.jpg
    CJSoCal2019-59.jpg
    504.3 KB · Views: 0
  • CJSoCal2019-54.jpg
    CJSoCal2019-54.jpg
    733.6 KB · Views: 0
  • CJSoCal2019-45.jpg
    CJSoCal2019-45.jpg
    501.4 KB · Views: 0
  • CJSoCal2019-38.jpg
    CJSoCal2019-38.jpg
    552.1 KB · Views: 0
  • CJSoCal2019-37.jpg
    CJSoCal2019-37.jpg
    621.9 KB · Views: 0
  • CJSoCal2019-43.jpg
    CJSoCal2019-43.jpg
    436.2 KB · Views: 0
  • CJSoCal2019-23.jpg
    CJSoCal2019-23.jpg
    586.9 KB · Views: 0
  • CJSoCal2019-22.jpg
    CJSoCal2019-22.jpg
    584 KB · Views: 0
Jun 25, 2019 at 11:12 PM Post #267 of 438
I hope she is better, that's more important.

Thanks Wata, really wanted to visit with Noble. I bought my K10's sight unseen, or in the proper forum verbage... unheard.

Never been happier, they are amazing! Still.... I would love to visit with the family.

My grand daughter was fine just had a virus (I believe), vomiting for @ 24 hours, then done. My wife gets worried, she's a bookkeeper, I'm a Critical Care RN.

So... missed my Sennhieser session and many other demos. But, worst of all I missed meeting you and many other members here, and did nothing to reduce your Kit Kat inventory!

Seriously gonna have to make this up.

Regards, and thanks to all for posting your impressions, you made up for a lot of missed CanJam!

Claus

Jun 25, 2019 at 11:17 PM Post #268 of 438
Did we happen to mess around with tips during your Khan audition?

No. I think I maybe made a mistake in not trying different tips, now that you mention it.

Jun 25, 2019 at 11:20 PM Post #269 of 438
This one was a real puzzle for me. I'd heard the SP1000 before and was kind of meh on it. The SP2000 specs (on paper, at least) still aren't as good as something like the DX220 (which is less than 1/3rd the price). A&K were kind enough to let me measure a couple of SP2000 (stainless steel and copper variants) on my RME unit, and the measured specs came out even worse - IMD and THD higher than those of my V40 smartphone. Its z-out is disappointingly high, given the price. The first copper unit I tested also had a sizable channel imbalance - but these were pre-production units, so (hopefully) units sold will have more careful QC. But holy crap, the SP2000 sounds amazing. This literally gave me a sleepless night. I cannot figure out why it sounds so good when it measures so poorly. I asked Rob Watts about this and he suggested this may be down to some distortion that I simply like the sound of. (In comparison to the DX220, the QP1R also has high levels of THD, but also sounds very good to me.) I'd love to find out what's going on, but in the meantime, who cares? In terms of pure listening enjoyment, the SP2000 is, to my ears, a wonderful-sounding DAP. This is the one product from CanJam that I'm actually thinking about pulling the trigger on. (It releases in August.)

Yes... "Poorly" measuring AKs sounding better than better measuring, cheaper DAPs.
It's been a strange path of investigation for me these past weeks as well.

FiiO M11: better THD/power/IMD than SR15.
Sound? No longwinded explanation here, but for me SR15 > M11.
SE100 I have now is even an order above that.

AK players seem to do well on low noise floor (much lower than M11, objectively and subjectively), jitter and distortion at small power levels (i.e. Using IEMs).

I had a very long discussion about this with a colleague EE who's designed some amazing mixed signal gear in the past, including high end, highly praised headphone DAC/amps.

His conclusions:
We can't measure everything yet, but overall lower noise is always better.
Harmonic distortion, within limits is not a good indicator (this makes sense as its several orders of magnitude below transducer distortion).
We don't understand jitter fully yet, but he goes through great lengths in his designs to keep it as low as possible.

I'm no EE by any means, still many unclear areas for me here.

Jun 25, 2019 at 11:22 PM Post #270 of 438
No. I think I maybe made a mistake in not trying different tips, now that you mention it.

The majority of the time when people say it doesn't sound good its a tip issue. That issue though is usually lack of bass. But I like to speak to everyone I help after they listen to make sure I gave them all the proper amount of time swapping tips and hearing what they have to say. I wasn't really the main person this time, had some help so I am not sure if it was m that dealt with you. My helper was doing a show for his first time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back