CanJam SoCal 2019 Impressions thread
Jun 24, 2019 at 7:28 PM Post #196 of 438
Jun 24, 2019 at 8:12 PM Post #199 of 438
What would be great is if we could have canjam in Canada its so sad we Canadians are always left in tha dust...

CanJam Toronto would be awesome, early to mid-Sept.

Pfft, CanJam Hawaii. :ksc75smile:

Hawaii, really? We heard all about your flight experience from CA to NY in Feb, don't know if would could hear about your trip to Hawaii :ksc75smile:

Only thing french in me, are the french fries from The Counter... :wink:
Food all 3 days was on point, it was great hanging out with peeps all 3 nights, even though you missed the Chinese food.

Definitely some good food. The shrimp and mussels at Sam Woo's was the best, followed by the burger and fries at The Counter.

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2019 at 8:19 PM Post #200 of 438
CanJam Toronto would be awesome, early to mid-Sept.

Hawaii, really? We heard all about your flight experience from CA to NY in Feb, don't know if would could hear about your trip to Hawaii :ksc75smile:

Definitely some good food. The shrimp and mussels at Sam Woo's was the best, followed by the burger and fries at The Counter.

Tough luck, you would have to. But once I got it out of my system I would be back to my mellow normal self. :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
Jun 24, 2019 at 8:57 PM Post #202 of 438
Schiit Mystery Product ($???) - I don't usually do this, but I'm going to be a total tease! I had a nice convo with Jason and he told me a few juicy secrets but made me swear a blood oath not to post any specifics. So I'll just say this, there are going to be a lot of really happy SchiitHeads in a couple of months from now. And I'm definitely one of them!

What are you? 6 years old?

Jun 24, 2019 at 8:59 PM Post #203 of 438
Almost 7. :grimacing:

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2019 at 9:00 PM Post #204 of 438
Thanks so much to HeadFi for putting together such a great event and to the community for showing up and bringing your enthusiasm and insight. We had such a good time!

And Yes- we’re hosting a HeadFi meet in Chicago in October ( details in the meet ups thread.) All are welcome- plenty of room!

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Jun 24, 2019 at 9:03 PM Post #206 of 438
This was my first SoCal CanJam and my second CanJam overall - NYC 2019 being my first. Overall, I had a great time again. It was awesome seeing some of the folks I met at CanJam NYC, and meeting some new ones.

Some of my thoughts from this CanJam:

- Empire Ears Valkryie - thought this was a great IEM. For me, it sits in between the Phantom and Legend X for bass, but adds slightly more on the treble as compared to the Phantoms. BTW, I used a SPK1M and listened to Phil Collins, Def Leppard, Candy Dulfer, Hans Zimmer and some Star Wars soundtracks for my impressions. Thanks to @Jack Vang and @ajyagle for the friendly banter.

- Campfire Audio - only listened to the Polaris v2 and the IO. The Polaris v2 sound signature wasn’t for me, the bass was overpowering and bloomy, and this is from someone who likes bass. For the IO, I did like that - it was a little more balanced than I typically like and it would be an IEM i recommend to someone starting in the hobby. Plus at $299, it could be a walk around / travel IEM, vice wearing $1500 - $2000 IEMs on a plane.

- Effect Audio - spent time listening to their cables and I could hear some small differences in the cables, all using my Empire Ears Phantoms. Also had the opportunity to listen to their three prototype cables and will post those impressions in the Effect Audio thread. It was also great meeting Eric from @EffectAudio and discussing food options in Auckland and Sydney.

- ZMF headphones - Introduced to them by @Zachik and @buke9 , thanks for your insight. I didn’t have much time to listen to their gear, but it will be at the top of my list at the next CanJam I attend.

- Mr. Speakers - first time listening to their headphones and my initial impressions were good. I didn’t have a lot of time to do so, but plan to dedicate more time to them at my next CanJam.

- Seminars - I attended the Music Streaming and Future Trends seminar and this was the only downside of the CanJam. To put it bluntly, it seemed more like an informercial for Audirvana and Qobuz. During the time I was there (I left after about 30 min, which the first 5-10 minutes was waiting for anyone else to arrive), there wasn’t really any other discussion of other ways to stream music, Tidal was briefly mentioned and no discussion of Roon.

- Hospitality suite - kudos to the LA & OC Audio Society for hosting a hospitality suite. It was nice to grab some pretzels or chocolate chip cookies, and not have to rely on the @Watagump candy stash :ksc75smile:

Finally, thanks to the entire CanJam Staff for a great event!! Looking forward CanJam NYC 2020 :)

Jun 24, 2019 at 9:05 PM Post #207 of 438
Thanks so much to HeadFi for putting together such a great event and to the community for showing up and bringing your enthusiasm and insight. We had such a good time!

And Yes- we’re hosting a HeadFi meet in Chicago in October ( details in the meet ups thread.) All are welcome- plenty of room!
Thanks for your hospitality, I've really enjoyed visiting the ZMF booth at different shows. You are very friendly, and you have a lot of different options to try.

Jun 24, 2019 at 10:27 PM Post #210 of 438
This was my first SoCal CanJam and my second CanJam overall - NYC 2019 being my first. Overall, I had a great time again. It was awesome seeing some of the folks I met at CanJam NYC, and meeting some new ones.

Some of my thoughts from this CanJam:

- Empire Ears Valkryie - thought this was a great IEM. For me, it sits in between the Phantom and Legend X for bass, but adds slightly more on the treble as compared to the Phantoms. BTW, I used a SPK1M and listened to Phil Collins, Def Leppard, Candy Dulfer, Hans Zimmer and some Star Wars soundtracks for my impressions. Thanks to @Jack Vang and @ajyagle for the friendly banter.

- Campfire Audio - only listened to the Polaris v2 and the IO. The Polaris v2 sound signature wasn’t for me, the bass was overpowering and bloomy, and this is from someone who likes bass. For the IO, I did like that - it was a little more balanced than I typically like and it would be an IEM i recommend to someone starting in the hobby. Plus at $299, it could be a walk around / travel IEM, vice wearing $1500 - $2000 IEMs on a plane.

- Effect Audio - spent time listening to their cables and I could hear some small differences in the cables, all using my Empire Ears Phantoms. Also had the opportunity to listen to their three prototype cables and will post those impressions in the Effect Audio thread. It was also great meeting Eric from @EffectAudio and discussing food options in Auckland and Sydney.

- ZMF headphones - Introduced to them by @Zachik and @buke9 , thanks for your insight. I didn’t have much time to listen to their gear, but it will be at the top of my list at the next CanJam I attend.

- Mr. Speakers - first time listening to their headphones and my initial impressions were good. I didn’t have a lot of time to do so, but plan to dedicate more time to them at my next CanJam.

- Seminars - I attended the Music Streaming and Future Trends seminar and this was the only downside of the CanJam. To put it bluntly, it seemed more like an informercial for Audirvana and Qobuz. During the time I was there (I left after about 30 min, which the first 5-10 minutes was waiting for anyone else to arrive), there wasn’t really any other discussion of other ways to stream music, Tidal was briefly mentioned and no discussion of Roon.

- Hospitality suite - kudos to the LA & OC Audio Society for hosting a hospitality suite. It was nice to grab some pretzels or chocolate chip cookies, and not have to rely on the @Watagump candy stash :ksc75smile:

Finally, thanks to the entire CanJam Staff for a great event!! Looking forward CanJam NYC 2020 :)

Thats exactly how I imagined the valkyries as you described them. I wonder how it compares to the new audio 64. Did you had a chance to hear them?

Any thoughts on if valks could have better or higher sub bass vs phantom?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back