CanJam SoCal 2019 Impressions thread
Jun 24, 2019 at 2:23 AM Post #151 of 438
Well, today was my first visit to a CanJam, and any subsequent visits will have a tough time living up to this one.

I won 64 Audio's drawing for a free IEM, so I now have the difficult—if incredibly enviable— decision of which ridiculously nice flagship-level gears I want to get. Universals and my ears don't get along so well, so Fourte, Trio, and the 18 and 12 universals are probably out—leaving the A18t and the A12t. I welcome suggestions from those who have a broader base of experience than the five or ten minutes I spent today, or even envious jibes about what a worthless lucksack I am. :)

Sincere congratulations! The A18t, hands down. Pants down. Whatever, just get them, they're an absolute masterpiece of engineering.

Jun 24, 2019 at 2:24 AM Post #152 of 438
Well, today was my first visit to a CanJam, and any subsequent visits will have a tough time living up to this one.

I won 64 Audio's drawing for a free IEM, so I now have the difficult—if incredibly enviable— decision of which ridiculously nice flagship-level gears I want to get. Universals and my ears don't get along so well, so Fourte, Trio, and the 18 and 12 universals are probably out—leaving the A18t and the A12t. I welcome suggestions from those who have a broader base of experience than the five or ten minutes I spent today, or even envious jibes about what a worthless lucksack I am. :)

Congrats on winning!

Jun 24, 2019 at 2:25 AM Post #153 of 438
And to me and others who had the rare pleasure of trying it, the "Heddphone" from Hedd.audio was shoulders above ALL else at the show, even beyond Empyreans and Raal SR1 (in our view), electrostats, etc. A super rare gem and profoundly well done, and for less than Empyreans. Though not quite finalized for production

Wow, that's one hell of a statement! I'm definitely looking into this. Cheers.

Jun 24, 2019 at 4:24 AM Post #160 of 438
Wow, that's one hell of a statement! I'm definitely looking into this. Cheers.
Yes it is, but bold statement super well deserved to the "Heddphone" from Hedd.Audio. But "better" is a subjective word. The Raal SR1A should actually be preferrable for things like movies and classical or even jazz with the absolutely unrivaled soundstage and spacial positioning, but the Heddphone may be more preferrable for everything else having what I consider having improved lower frequency response (along with the entire spectrum) and dynamics, and possibly a bit more of a cohesive experience doing no wrong at any of the 4 amps I tried it on, aside from one which didn't drive it loud enough. Both headphones are based on the same new ribbon technology as I was told by the designer, but this is the first headphone of this type to plug in with a normal connection without a converter box. Until next time for a more complete write up on this and other discoveries, off I go for a while

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2019 at 5:21 AM Post #161 of 438
I am amazed how consistently headfi'ers shout out to Zach and Bevin, and it would be annoying if it weren't so very, very true. I've owned two ZMF's and loved them both, and the experience of working with and supporting such talented and nice people makes it even better.. Safe travels back to the Windy City, Zach and Bevin!

Yes, I hear this all of the time. I too own two ZMF headphones and I will be getting another also.
I really need to meet Zach and Bevin if just to tell them Hello, and Thank you.
They very much seem like my kind of people and Zach has been a pleasure to deal with in my past experiences.

At some point when I retire, the wife and I want to take a trip to Chicago to see some blues clubs, Buddy Guy's Lengends and such....maybe we would be allowed to stop in and see them.

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2019 at 7:53 AM Post #163 of 438
the grado hf3 remains a mystery. does anyone have any pics of it to share?

edit: nvm - just found one

Grado HF3.jpeg

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2019 at 8:07 AM Post #164 of 438
The differences of the warmest between Phantom and Valkyrie are Valkyrie has more defined and neutral bass than Phantom. Valkyrie has more smooth silky high and midrange than Phantom. However, Valkyrie has lack of thick and solid unique bass at least to my ears.
I am not so impressive with Wraith at all (except its special treble) even though it is more expensive than Valkyrie.

I had the exact same feeling when I heard phantom and zeus side by side. This just tells we prefer phantom type tuning.

Hmm wonder how the w9 subwoofer express bass and if it can rumble and be visceral. How low can it go?

More midrange then phantom, for me mids where perfect on phantom hmmm.

Does valkyrie feel linear and equal in frequency response? I hate u shaped or v shaped even w....

Jun 24, 2019 at 8:12 AM Post #165 of 438
I did listen to the new ones which are very impressive but one thing I don’t like that there is sibilant in the high maybe due to the cable or it still needs to burn in (?). I doesn’t have name yet because it is still a prototype.

Soo sad
I had same problem with my tia forte loved it so much amazing dd. Among the best dd bass ever heard but that treble siblance killed it for me....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back