CanJam SoCal 2019 Impressions thread
Jun 23, 2019 at 8:40 PM Post #121 of 438
Well, today was my first visit to a CanJam, and any subsequent visits will have a tough time living up to this one.

I won 64 Audio's drawing for a free IEM, so I now have the difficult—if incredibly enviable— decision of which ridiculously nice flagship-level gears I want to get. Universals and my ears don't get along so well, so Fourte, Trio, and the 18 and 12 universals are probably out—leaving the A18t and the A12t. I welcome suggestions from those who have a broader base of experience than the five or ten minutes I spent today, or even envious jibes about what a worthless lucksack I am. :)

Other winners:

Empire Ears Valkyrie—on the tunes I fed through them today, these did even better than the Legend X, which was also very impressive. I didn't try the Wraith, since I was trying to avoid making myself want super-expensive things. (This was a great plan, but then I foolishly listened to the Khan…)

Noble Khan—whatever you listen to immediately after the Khan will sound bad, almost guaranteed. I switched to the Django, and it might as well have been Skullcandy for the first 30 seconds or so. If you go to a Noble booth, I highly recommend asking them to postpone your exposure to the Khan. Highly-placed sources tell me that customs are coming.

FiiO FH7—my ears are a bit treble sensitive, so I will probably pass on these. The extension on the FH7 in both directions is heavy-duty. But they were still among the top handful of IEMs I auditioned.

ZMF Verite—comfy, stylish, technically capable and musical all rolled into one.

Thanks, CanJam organizers, for a great day, and thanks 64 Audio for making my hi-fi pipe dreams a reality!

Ohhh congratulations I recommend u go with a12t its the best pick!

How did you find valkyrie vs khan? I currently own ciem phantom and looking at valkyrie as my next big totl....

What is khan all about?

Jun 23, 2019 at 8:54 PM Post #122 of 438
Ohhh congratulations I recommend u go with a12t its the best pick!

How did you find valkyrie vs khan? I currently own ciem phantom and looking at valkyrie as my next big totl....

What is khan all about?

Well, the Valkyrie is not positioned as a TOTL earphone. (The Wraith is the one that's positioned as a TOTL piece, in the non-hybrid line.) It's going to be priced right above the Vantage in the X series. But the sound is superb.

Not as good as the Khan, though. Both have those new estat tweeters, but Khan has more BAs in it, and they weren't just thrown in there haphazardly. The tuning is a terrific blend of technical and musical.

Used properly, these estat tweeters seem to do a really good job of adding high-end detail with no added stridency. I'm sure there are/will be people just throwing them in because they're the hot new thing, but these two are not those.

Jun 23, 2019 at 9:48 PM Post #123 of 438
Hey guys, just a quick note... I had an absolutely sensational day second day today at the meet and a few new revelations that completely changed quite a few things I had learned yesterday in my previous impressions on page 5 so keep in mind those were just initial impressions. I am super busy with work these days so it may be a within about next 7 days I'll make a somewhat brief part 2 with major updates about the new discoveries comparatively. Stay tuned. Until then!

As my flight is a bit late, two things I have a minute to say though:

The QDC Anole VX IEM hype is true!!!

And to me and others who had the rare pleasure of trying it, the "Heddphone" from Hedd.audio was shoulders above ALL else at the show, even beyond Empyreans and Raal SR1 (in our view), electrostats, etc. A super rare gem and profoundly well done, and for less than Empyreans. Though not quite finalized for production

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2019 at 10:03 PM Post #124 of 438
Well, the Valkyrie is not positioned as a TOTL earphone. (The Wraith is the one that's positioned as a TOTL piece, in the non-hybrid line.) It's going to be priced right above the Vantage in the X series. But the sound is superb.

Not as good as the Khan, though. Both have those new estat tweeters, but Khan has more BAs in it, and they weren't just thrown in there haphazardly. The tuning is a terrific blend of technical and musical.

Used properly, these estat tweeters seem to do a really good job of adding high-end detail with no added stridency. I'm sure there are/will be people just throwing them in because they're the hot new thing, but these two are not those.

For me phantom is my current totl )
What i am looking for is more sub bass and smoothe and slightly more elevated treble over phantoms.

How does khan and valkyrie compare in that regard? And I listen to edm no interest in live music...

Jun 23, 2019 at 10:11 PM Post #126 of 438
That sounds like Legend X.

I heard lx and phantom side by side and i preferred phantoms by a big margin. The bass is way more detailed and immersive. Specialy very fast and more attackingly responcive?

Jun 23, 2019 at 10:15 PM Post #127 of 438
I was very disappointed at the Noble booth. @Watagump was not helpful at all, and I was so engrossed listening through the Khan that I forgot to grab some candy!

On a more serious note, I believe there was an open back ZMF headphone at one of Schiit's listening stations...anyone know which model it was?

I am terrible, sorry, next time I will make sure not to do any better. :wink:

Jun 23, 2019 at 10:18 PM Post #128 of 438
Well, today was my first visit to a CanJam, and any subsequent visits will have a tough time living up to this one.

I won 64 Audio's drawing for a free IEM, so I now have the difficult—if incredibly enviable— decision of which ridiculously nice flagship-level gears I want to get. Universals and my ears don't get along so well, so Fourte, Trio, and the 18 and 12 universals are probably out—leaving the A18t and the A12t. I welcome suggestions from those who have a broader base of experience than the five or ten minutes I spent today, or even envious jibes about what a worthless lucksack I am. :)

Other winners:

Empire Ears Valkyrie—on the tunes I fed through them today, these did even better than the Legend X, which was also very impressive. I didn't try the Wraith, since I was trying to avoid making myself want super-expensive things. (This was a great plan, but then I foolishly listened to the Khan…)

Noble Khan—whatever you listen to immediately after the Khan will sound bad, almost guaranteed. I switched to the Django, and it might as well have been Skullcandy for the first 30 seconds or so. If you go to a Noble booth, I highly recommend asking them to postpone your exposure to the Khan. Highly-placed sources tell me that customs are coming.

FiiO FH7—my ears are a bit treble sensitive, so I will probably pass on these. The extension on the FH7 in both directions is heavy-duty. But they were still among the top handful of IEMs I auditioned.

ZMF Verite—comfy, stylish, technically capable and musical all rolled into one.

Thanks, CanJam organizers, for a great day, and thanks 64 Audio for making my hi-fi pipe dreams a reality!

It was great meeting you man, glad you liked the Khan.

Jun 23, 2019 at 10:18 PM Post #129 of 438
I heard lx and phantom side by side and i preferred phantoms by a big margin. The bass is way more detailed and immersive. Specialy very fast and more attackingly responcive?

So more bass than Phantom, but less than Legend X. That may be Valkyrie, but I have not heard that one. I did hear Phantom and Legend X.

Jun 23, 2019 at 10:29 PM Post #131 of 438
For me phantom is my current totl )
What i am looking for is more sub bass and smoothe and slightly more elevated treble over phantoms.

How does khan and valkyrie compare in that regard? And I listen to edm no interest in live music...

You would have to put in a lot of work to come up with a better EDM earphone than the Legend X. The Valkyrie's tuning is a better all-rounder, IMHO, and no slouch at EDM. But the LX is basically ideal.

Jun 23, 2019 at 10:44 PM Post #132 of 438
So more bass than Phantom, but less than Legend X. That may be Valkyrie, but I have not heard that one. I did hear Phantom and Legend X.

I took the Phantom and Legend X for a short spin in Chicago and also preferred the Phantom. I also listened to the Phantom a little more at the show, buts that's all I listened to, solid offering from the EE guys.

You would have to put in a lot of work to come up with a better EDM earphone than the Legend X. The Valkyrie's tuning is a better all-rounder, IMHO, and no slouch at EDM. But the LX is basically ideal.

True I hear that a lot about Lx to be good for edm. But phantom is more linear and also offers a nice mid presence. When ever i put phantoms on its authoritive and powerful. With a thick and warm sound signature its really unique.

I started my audiophile hobby with shures 846 and phantom vs Lx is a much closer approach maybe this is why i loved it more and felt in love with it right away.

Today i got phantom + ares 2 8wire and 1z its a superb match and very warm as i like ).

Any idea how warm and darky or thickness in sound is valkyrie vs phantom?
I was planning to get valkyrie and effect audio Cleopatra and 1z of course ) ) )

Jun 23, 2019 at 11:05 PM Post #133 of 438
Any idea how warm and darky or thickness in sound is valkyrie vs phantom?

The differences of the warmest between Phantom and Valkyrie are Valkyrie has more defined and neutral bass than Phantom. Valkyrie has more smooth silky high and midrange than Phantom. However, Valkyrie has lack of thick and solid unique bass at least to my ears.
I am not so impressive with Wraith at all (except its special treble) even though it is more expensive than Valkyrie.

Jun 23, 2019 at 11:47 PM Post #135 of 438
Spent a few hours at the show yesterday. Was my first time and really enjoyed it. Got to meet John Grado, which was a BFD for me :)...

I totally fanboyed out, which embarrassed me no end, but he was most gracious, which I sincerely appreciated.
I also fanboyed out meeting John Grado today. He is a very nice and friendly person.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back