1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

CanJam SoCal 2019 Impressions thread

First

Back
6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15
17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26
Next

Last
  1. crinacle
    I'm surprised they let you measure all those :open_mouth:

2. alota
    i´m surprised about your comment on mscaler after reading wonders of this electronic. on the other side, I thank you for your objectivity

3. MadDane
    Csglinux,

Thanks for the personal reviews, very revealing.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
  4. CreditingKarma
    Where is this beautiful view??

5. third_eye Moderator
    Big thanks to everyone who came out to make this a fantastic and fun weekend. This was our biggest CanJam SoCal show to date and can't wait to do this again next year. Next stop: CanJam London on July 27-28! :L3000::smile_phones::L3000:

IMG_20190623_173943.jpg

raypin, HiFiGuy528, Pokemonn and 9 others like this.
  6. Jalo
    @csglinux, thanks for your thoughts on the SP2000, like you I have a hard time shaking off the SP2000 sound and the only sound that’s left now from the show. I am not familiar with your device, so I just wonder if there is a possibility of any measurement error? Not suggesting that it is, but how can something sound so good but measure so poorly, what other potential explanations are there?

7. McMadface
    I also really liked the way the SP2000 sounds. If your aim in source gear is perfect transparency, then everything will sound begin to sound exactly the same as you approach perfect transparency. If your aim is to find something that just sounds good to you, then you open yourself up to things like tube amps and, apparently, the SP2000 that may not measure objectively well but are enjoyable to listen to.

8. Luckbad
    I want to hear the SP2000 again. I came in expecting it to be good, and I left thinking it was pretty mediocre. I brought my own custom IEMs to plug in (single-ended) and listened only to songs I'm familiar with, but none of them were my standard audition songs.

9. csglinux
    For sure, there's always a possibility of measurement error :wink: But even the quoted specs for the SP2000's THD aren't as good as those for the DX220 and my other devices aren't showing these measurement errors. I don't want to derail this thread, so a bunch of details and measurements are on its way to you via pm.

My two best guesses right now... 1) Like @McMadface says, distortions aren't always unpleasant. Maybe there's something there that my brain just likes. 2) Maybe the noise floor (or rather noise-floor modulation) is really the critical factor - and that is clearly better in the SP2000.

10. DecentLevi
    DSCF1366.jpg
    Yup I put this one through the paces on about 6 different systems, and compared it to the Empyreans, which I think are somewhat comparable sonically.

Here was my review on page 4:
    Humongous sooundstage, visceral feeling, intimacy / vibrancy... it's lush and you just can't even blush!!! Wonderfully balanced and very modestly dark leaning yet still wonderfully detailed and non-fatiguing, with fantastic transient response and overall coherence. Perfect 10/10 in my books!!!

Here's a quote from @XERO1 on this thread:
    "Rossen RAD-0 ($2600) - Another great sounding (and looking) planar, it reminded me of an Audeze LCD-X on steroids. And like the LCD-X, it had a more intimate soundstage than most other open-backs but it had a nice density to its presentation that I found quite compelling."

Rad-0 from Rosson Audio:
    This beauty of an open-back can is a new planar created by a former member of Audeze, and is able to produce absolutely exquisite sound, depending on source.

Amazing soundstage and sense of realism which to me were both better than Mr. Speakers Ether 2, which I compared back-to-back. Phenomenal bass (definition and extension), non fatiguing with a treble that is very modestly recessed but in just the right amount, giving a sound that is still detailed but never piercing - for a smooth, rich velvety and clean sound. Ethereal experience where elements of the recording whiz at you as if from a theatre speaker system, wonderfully balanced sound, superb detail.

Some of the rigs I tried it on:
    Cutest Dac + Mscaler + GSX Mini
    new Yggy + new Rangarok 2: both wonderful pairings
    Euforia tube amp: underpowered
    Quad PA One + amp: fantastic pairing
    PrimaLuna 200: no synergy
    Woo Audio WA33: excellent pairing

The Meze Empyreans have a similar transient response and sound signature and are easily driven on all amps I tried it with but perhaps a bit of bloom / slow decay on the lower frequencies, and the Rad-0 by contrast have a more perhaps upfront and velvety / taut sound with better controlled bass and less fatiguing. If I had one of the top amps listed above I would definitely go with the Rad-0 for an overall more exciting and coherent experience, otherwise I'd go with the Meze Empyreans as they're less picky on amp source.

The build is really special like a work of art with some sort of marble chrome finish, exuding a master-class studio or audiophile look. But the weight may be too much for some, heavier than the LCD-2 I believe. The Empyreans by contrast look akin to humongous black balloons when sitting on a medium size head like mine, so the Rad-0 does look better on the head perhaps, although heavier.

As usual the above is always IMO and YMMV, but personally I'm going more in the direction of the electrodynamics mentioned earlier. Both those and the Rad-0 have their place, so if I could I would have both.

Pokemonn, THGM, Raketen and 5 others like this.
  11. Jalo
    Thanks for the guesses. I should have compare SE versus balance, may be there lies the difference.

12. bvng3540
    @Watagump before meeting you at CanJam, my impression of you is that you an A**:ksc75smile: but after meeting you, you the nicest and fun guy to be around, glad to meet you

Watagump and ajyagle like this.
  13. Rosson Audio
    Thanks for your in depth impressions appreciate it

14. fiascogarcia
    [​IMG]

15. DecentLevi
    updated above post on Rad-0 ^

First

Back
6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15
17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26
Next