CanJam SoCal 2018 (April 7-8, 2018) Impressions thread
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 7, 2018 at 2:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 181
socal.jpg

Post your CanJam SoCal 2018 impressions and photos in this thread! Follow all the happenings here!

Apr 7, 2018 at 4:13 PM Post #9 of 181
Also posted in the main CanJams thread as well:

Tonight (4-7-18) at 8pm, will be the Ping Pong Showdown at Paddle Room (formerly named SPiN) Los Angeles! The venue is a short walk from JW Marriott, or a short Uber ride if you don’t want to walk.

Here’s more info:

550 S Flower St, Los Angeles, CA 90017 (in The Standard Hotel, 2nd Floor)

(213) 892-8080

Looking forward to seeing those who can make it!

Apr 7, 2018 at 8:33 PM Post #10 of 181
Any new Schiit announced? Also, any more impressions of how the Mobius sound? Thanks!

The Schiit stand had the new Lyr 3 as well as a Jotunheim and a Modi/Magni/Loki stack (that's what it looked like - I didn't play with it). The Lyr 3 sounded very good to my ears - maybe my favorite Schiit amp to date. I tried the Audeze Mobius both for music (via Bluetooth from an iPad) and movies and was very impressed. The music sounded good - full and clean with no harshness. The head tracking works amazingly well and most importantly doesn't feel artificial. I left very impressed - I have to stop by again tomorrow to listen some more!

Apr 7, 2018 at 8:47 PM Post #11 of 181
Some quick notes from today:
  • Benchmark DAC3 with the new HPA4 amp and Audeze LCD-XC headphones. For some reason I recall Benchmark equipment sounding a bit bright from a few years back, but that's not the case at all anymore. The new DAC and amp are very clean and resolving while at the same time being very musical. I thought the bass was especially good - deep and juicy with good punch. The amp has a touchscreen which is very cool too.
  • Massdrop HD 6XX with Cavalli Tube Hybrid (CTH) amp. Massdrop's version of what's IMHO one of the best headphones of all time plus their version of a Cavalli amp? Buy these two and you're 90-95% there in terms of sound quality at a very reasonable price.
  • Monoprice Cavalli Liquid Platinum amp. This is brand new (coming in June) and is basically a balanced version of the Liquid Crimson tube hybrid amp. Very exciting news! I didn't get a chance to hear this today - hopefully tomorrow.
  • ZMF Atticus with ampsandsound amp (don't know which model). Comfort food for the ear. So nice and pleasant! (The headphone that is, although Zach and Bevin are super-friendly and all-around great people too!)
  • MrSpeakers Ether with Schiit Lyr 3. I think the Lyr 3 may be my new favorite among all the Schiit amps. Very good-sounding amp.
  • Sony Z1R with Woo Audio WA7. During my last trip to Taiwan I got to listen to a piano piece on the Z1R hooked up to Sony's best player (the one that feels like it's machined from a single piece of metal - which it probably is) and amp and the piano was rendered so life-like that I don't hink I've heard anything like it on headphones. The WA7 is one of the best-looking amps ever made and the combo sounded very nice to my ears.
That's it for today. It was a great day and I'm going back for more tomorrow!

Apr 7, 2018 at 9:03 PM Post #12 of 181
Did you try it? Any sound impressions ?
They have 2 at the show: one hooked up to a gaming/movie demo, another to a music demo. I did the gaming demo one and it was like anchoring the speakers in the room. It was neat. You can turn 180 degrees in your chair and the sound will still be coming from behind you as if you had set up speakers next to the TV.

Apr 7, 2018 at 9:08 PM Post #13 of 181
Thanks Odin, for your impressions!

Apr 7, 2018 at 10:22 PM Post #14 of 181
dr. cavalli said they're using eletroharmonix tubes in the liquid platinum. it sounded good but really hard to tell under show conditions. it's hooked up to the thx aaa amp using the dac section and whichever monoprice headphones are available at the stand. really difficult to demo like this but i'll be picking one up when it comes out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back