CanJam Singapore 2022 (April 2-3, 2022)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 12, 2022 at 10:23 AM Post #137 of 234
I bought my Moondrop Kato from SAM audio! Friendly store indeed!
Same. I'd recommend them too.
Also my experience at most local shops are quite positive so there is that.
Edit: same as in SAM people are lovely, and same as I also got my Kato from them. :beerchug:

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2022 at 12:01 PM Post #138 of 234
Really. Other than being able to meet with principals and head-fi friends from around the world, it's pretty much CANJAM all year round in Singapore. There is no gear -- desktop or head-fi -- that you cannot find within a 5km radius from one showroom to another on this little island; well, other than Treoo -- the only out of the way place on the lists below, so maybe head out way a couple hours earlier and go (since it's) on the way to the airport for your flight home. If I were to make an itinerary, here are the top dozen recommendations if you're visiting and have a day... or six:

The Must-Go List: The powerhouses; be prepared to spend anywhere from 5, 6 hours to 3 days just at these 4 establishments.
1. Zeppelin & Co (Sim Lim Square -- if for some inexplicable reason, you can only go to one place, this is it. Best place in SG to otherwise start the audio adventure, or you could go at the end, enjoy conversations with the knowledgeable blokes working there over a cuppa (or my fave butterscotch soda). Zep carries EE, Elysian, Oriolus, Campfire, Grado, Sennheiser, Shure, Stax, Lotoo, Cayin, Hidition, iBasso, FIR, Effect Audio, Van Nuys and the list goes on and on and on...)
2. AV One (Adelphi -- split over several shop lots on Level-1 selling all manner of stereophile equipment. Only place offering the full range of Aroma and Chord, though they also house a big collection of the major brands, Fiio, Hifiman, JH Audio...)
3. Jaben (Adelphi -- worth the trip if only to listen to the DC Ti, it's one and only Fitear place in town; nice collection of the other major brands, including UM, Noble, L&P, FAD, Shanling, Eletech, Mass Kobo, Phatlab, etc...)
4. E1 (Far East Shopping Centre -- small and intimate; that's where I'd go to test VE, 64 Audio, AK gear...)

The If-You-Still-Have-Time, Energy or Money List: Don't be mistaken, the next 4 may be second-tier to the above-mentioned, but are not at all second-rate stopovers. You could easily spend 3-6 very enjoyable hours here.
5. Treoo (Noel Building -- mixed bag of mass market though not necessary cheap like iFi, and interesting brands here, notably Schiit, Kumitate, Dignis...)
6. Stereo (Plaza Singapura -- good selection of gear across the lo-to-mid-fi, limited higher-end stuff could be found; accessories, etc...)
7. Connect-IT (313@Somerset -- MMR and then it's pretty much mass market stuff, with some isolate higher-end pieces, accessories type-a-joint...)
8. Music Sanctuary (Far East Plaza -- used to be one of the go-to store but it's fallen a few rungs over the past few years. Though they carry some DAPS, IEMS, etc, for me, MS is the cable place -- PW Audio, Plussound, Satin Audio...)

The Special-Interest List: These are quite specific to brands places that may or may not be relevant to your audio universe at this point in time but IMO worth the experience for the long game.
9. Sony Center (Wisma Atria -- all the Sony gadgets, including the High Res Audio collection, ie DMP-Z1, TA-ZH1ES, the entire Walkman lineup, headphones, earphones, you name it, are all available to demo in a very comfortable set-up...)
10. Sennheiser (Marina Square -- all things Sennheiser on display and demo...)
11. Absolute Sound for Naim and dCS (Adelphi -- blow the ceiling off your mind on what anything can sound like on a dCS stack; if you want good service, don't go dressed like a tourist who screams "I'm not gonna be buying anything today"...)
12. Music Image for Soulution (Adelphi -- if you are going to listen to Naim and dCS, you hafta listen to Soulution too...)

Bring along your own DAP/IEM for reference if you like, but really, all you need on this audio-adventure is a micro-SD card with material that you are familiar with. Be forewarned though: head-fiers do not presently possess any immunity against being infected by the irrepressible bug to buy anything something maybe everything along the way, so you might want to leave the credit card in the hotel room... 😈
I would like to highlight Zeppelin and Co as well. As a coffee addict, their Cold Brew is an excellent choice and frankly, for those coming to Singapore from cooler climates, nothing brings the heat down better than a smooth chilled cold brew.

Connect-IT is another favourite of mine as well, their bar-like setting is straight up classy. There is a middle aged Singaporean Chinese lady who is there once in a while. She knows her stuff and is refreshing to chat with. I don't know her name but she deserves a "cool guy" award. She let me try the WM1ZM2, much to the surprise of the Sony store in the same mall who hadn't even gotten their display sets yet LOL.

Feb 13, 2022 at 11:43 AM Post #139 of 234
I would like to highlight Zeppelin and Co as well. As a coffee addict, their Cold Brew is an excellent choice and frankly, for those coming to Singapore from cooler climates, nothing brings the heat down better than a smooth chilled cold brew.
Yes, +1 vote for the folks at Zeppelin. Friendly and knowledgeable - always a great combo.

Stereo's also a great, great place to be. I've been patronizing their various stores over the years.

Connect-IT is another favourite of mine as well, their bar-like setting is straight up classy. There is a middle aged Singaporean Chinese lady who is there once in a while. She knows her stuff and is refreshing to chat with. I don't know her name but she deserves a "cool guy" award. She let me try the WM1ZM2, much to the surprise of the Sony store in the same mall who hadn't even gotten their display sets yet LOL.
You're probably thinking about Alicia. :)

And yes, she's extremely friendly and helpful!

Feb 13, 2022 at 11:45 PM Post #140 of 234
Yes, +1 vote for the folks at Zeppelin. Friendly and knowledgeable - always a great combo.

Stereo's also a great, great place to be. I've been patronizing their various stores over the years.

You're probably thinking about Alicia. :)

And yes, she's extremely friendly and helpful!
Thank you for sharing with me her name! She feels like an aunt I never had haha

Sad about Stereo though, they couldn't keep their JEM outlet open.

Edit: Added comment about Stereo

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2022 at 8:54 PM Post #148 of 234
Guys, we are looking for a few more volunteers for CanJam Singapore 2022. If interested, please get in touch!

CanJam Volunteers
There will be volunteer staff positions at CanJam Singapore 2022 to assist at the Registration Desk. You will need to be able to commit to a 4 hour shift on either the Saturday or Sunday of the event. Volunteers will receive free weekend passes along with an event T-Shirt. If you are interested, please send me a PM or email to ethan@canjam.org with your full name, email address, and T-Shirt size.

Feb 21, 2022 at 5:24 PM Post #149 of 234
We're pleased to announce beyerdynamic, dCS, and Effect Audio as Official Show Sponsors of CanJam Singapore 2022!

Singapore big banner.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back