CanJam Shanghai 2024 Impressions Thread
Jun 8, 2024 at 10:28 AM Post #16 of 115
Light Side or Dark Side?

Attachments

• Pilgrim Pilgrim Noir.jpg
    Pilgrim Pilgrim Noir.jpg
    288.4 KB · Views: 0
Effect Audio Stay updated on Effect Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/effectaudiosg/ https://twitter.com/EffectAudio https://www.instagram.com/effectaudio/ http://www.effectaudio.com/ https://wa.me/message/A64BKXQECHD4E1 info@effectaudio.com
Jun 8, 2024 at 11:09 AM Post #19 of 115
Susvara OG vs Unveiled impressions please
Susvara OG and Susvara Unveiled are next to each other on the EF1000. As you can imagine, very hard to get a listen... Only 1 of each in the whole expo

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2024 at 11:19 AM Post #20 of 115
IMG_5223.jpeg
IMG_5222.jpeg

Had a very brief time with them. Brief impression is that they sound where they belong, price wise. I like how light they are which is good for traveling. I have a huge head and they just fit. But I didn’t feel any discomfort for the brief time I tried them. As for sound, I think they are pretty well tuned. I think they are keeping the well rounded, smoother tuning like the new Utopia and Clear MG. They should be good for most genre of music. Take my words with a few more grains of salt, the noisy environment was not the best for trying full size headphones.

Jun 8, 2024 at 12:48 PM Post #21 of 115
Got there very late today and only had a limited time to check out the gear.

I went straight to the Susvara Unveiled. Out of the EF1000, the difference is there, perhaps not so much in terms of tonal balance but the style of the presentation. The new version felt sharper and more agile overall. The soundstage is wide but it does not feel artificial, and the sense of openness and imaging precision were pretty impressive. Just when I was trying to compare more with the OG, another guy took the OG for a spin. Letme get a more thorough listen tomorrow and report back.

Jun 8, 2024 at 1:17 PM Post #22 of 115
Got there very late today and only had a limited time to check out the gear.

I went straight to the Susvara Unveiled. Out of the EF1000, the difference is there, perhaps not so much in terms of tonal balance but the style of the presentation. The new version felt sharper and more agile overall. The soundstage is wide but it does not feel artificial, and the sense of openness and imaging precision were pretty impressive. Just when I was trying to compare more with the OG, another guy took the OG for a spin. Letme get a more thorough listen tomorrow and report back.
Which has more bass quantity and slams harder?

Jun 8, 2024 at 2:26 PM Post #23 of 115
Following for further impressions by fellow audiophiles!!

Jun 8, 2024 at 5:15 PM Post #25 of 115
For those who will be attending the show, PLEASE.... give us a good feedback about the NEW …. 18.000 $ (!!!) Brise Audio FUGAKU.
(compared to your TOL "standard" IEM
, I wonder if they "just" sound better or... if it is really a new experience for an IEM)

mobile01-FUGAKU.jpg
What? I mean... what? Do they come with a car, dog, Rolex Submariner and a free vacation in the Maldives?

Jun 9, 2024 at 1:55 AM Post #28 of 115
Curious. This 2024 Can Jam Shanghai is free to attend. No cover fees.

Those of us that have attended other Can Jams in the past have definately been willing to pony up for admission.

I'm wondering why this Can Jam doesn't have this requirement.

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2024 at 4:51 AM Post #29 of 115
Curious. This 2024 Can Jam Shanghai is free to attend. No cover fees.

Those of us that have attended other Can Jams in the past have definately been willing to pony up a for admission.

I'm wondering why this Can Jam doesn't have this requirement.
Probably because the scene here is so different. There's a number of audio expos around, I've been a bunch over the past few years, and none of them have admission. I feel CanJam would probably need to adapt to the market.

Jun 9, 2024 at 5:39 AM Post #30 of 115
Well another successful CanJam. It's been 4+ years since the last one here in Shanghai.

I think as time goes on I'm becoming more like John Darko in my views as far as expos and shows go; I tend to see them as interesting places to preview a bunch of gear in a short space of time, but not great for truly evaluating equipment. For me if something doesn't tickle my fancy at a show I won't pursue it any further, but anything that I think sounds okay or even good at a show I'd have to evaluate in longer listening at home to get a better sense of how they sound and whether I'll like it longer term. There's also the problem on occasion where you're stuck with listening to something like a headphone specifically with the source gear/amplifier/song pairings at the exhibitor stands, which isn't much use for getting a feel for how something sounds. Thankfully a lot of time it wasn't an issue at the current show and I could use my own gear and music on many occasions, but did come up every now and then. In future I'll probably try to take along a female XLR to 4.4mm adapter to use XLR-terminated cables with my own portable gear, as there were some headphones with XLRs around I would have like to hear on my own equipment (although granted, today I didn't even take a 4.4mm source with me, but I'll make the note for future).

I got there earlier in the morning. From previous experience the first day of CanJam is usually the busiest, so I opted to go only today instead. It was pretty quiet early on and I got in some good listening when it was quieter and I could sit with gear for longer.

First up was the new Focals right at the entrance: Hadenys and Azulys. Both have excellent snap, with a quick onset of drum strikes etc. Maybe this is the dynamics that other reviewers talk about with Focal headphones. They seemed to have less of the metallic-y sheen than I remember from demoing previous Focals - something that has stopped me from buying any in the past. But it was still there. The Hadenys was hard to really evaluate given it's open and there was a bit of background noise. The Azulys is more up my alley. Sounded good enough to me to warrant buying one and trialing it in more detail. The blue is actually a more muted blue-grey in person than in photos. Downside was there were no other Focal headphones at the exhibit to hear in comparison (apart from spying a Utopia 2022 on another exhibitors table).

Meze: Finally heard the 109 Pros. I hear the upper treble zing that people talk about, but not bothersome at all. Overall very comfy and a great sound. Definitely worth further listening. Unfortunately the newer 105 Pro model wasn't there, or the new cheap IEMs from Meze.

Sennheiser: They had a separate VIP room which was quieter and had a good set up with various HDV820s and a bunch of their headphones. The HD620S didn't have as much bass as I would have expected based on reviews, and did sound a little boxy. But once my ears had adjusted I had to admit there was a good nuance and detail to the instruments and good left-right panning and sense of space. Interesting enough for me to want to pick up a pair and see how they fare in longer listening.
I had a similar feeling with the IE600s: expected more bass, and the cable was pretty microphonic. Overall not too bad but I thought they would impress me more, but generally I'm not an IEM user.

Along those lines there were plenty of IEMs on exhibit and I tried a bunch over the day. But I seem to have weird-shaped ears and always struggle to find big enough tips to get a good seal. My experience today only reinforced that me and IEMs just don't blend well.

Dan Clark Audio: The E3 and Stealth were in a different VIP room, and sounded great but were hooked up to Ferrum stacks with exhibitors music via a streamer - so difficult to know how they will sound outside of that scenario. Definitely keen to hear more of them.

Surprises of the show for me were:

* Dunu dongle. I spied this on a table and just had to try since it was so small. And it sounded great, with independent volume control.

* Erzetich Thalia. These were a small on-ear style headphone wired up to a stack next to the Austrian Audio Composer. The Composer was popular and I never managed to slide in for a listen, but I sat down and tried this headphone next to it while waiting. Actually surprisingly good. It seems pretty expensive (here in China at least), which will probably put me off, but the whole bass, soundstage and balance was impressive for the size of the drivers.

* Fiio M23. I had a good session with this with my own music and headphones. Very nice, slightly smooth sound but still very resolving and the same fantastic large screen and snappy interface as earlier editions like the M11Pro I used to own. I also felt the FT5 and other headphones were worth more in-depth listening as well. Their cheap new JT1 closed back was also surprisingly good for the price.

* Good to see an old grandma sitting around trying out gear. People talk about getting the next generation into audio - what about the previous generation! :wink:

Next time I'll probably take something like a dedicated DAP with a range of sockets and plenty of power, along with a female-XLR to balanced 4.4mm adapter to make trialing different headphones easier. There were a few other things I would have liked to squeeze in, but once it started getting busier I had been there for 4 hours or so, and there were diminishing returns from hanging around further.

Overall it was a good show. The exhibitors, staff and even other public were all super friendly and helpful. Good vibe.

Downsides were I was hoping to find more Astell & Kern, iBasso, Questyle, Hiby, Shanling. But since I'm in Shanghai anyway it's easy enough to trial them in-store somewhere. Overall the show left me with the comforting feeling that I'm pretty happy with my current gear; there were some things I'd like to try more of, but nothing that seemed head and shoulders above my current gear without spending substantially more money.

Thanks to all involved in setting it up :k701smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back