CanJam @ RMAF 2018 Impressions (Oct 5-7, 2018)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 24, 2018 at 4:34 AM Post #286 of 326
since so many of you are talking about Focal, this review was saying that the ear cup feels like plastic, so for a $4K Utopia, that guy said it shouldn't feel so cheap. The models at the show, such as the Clear, are they build the same way?

Oct 24, 2018 at 11:11 AM Post #287 of 326
since so many of you are talking about Focal, this review was saying that the ear cup feels like plastic, so for a $4K Utopia, that guy said it shouldn't feel so cheap. The models at the show, such as the Clear, are they build the same way?

Not a good review. He complains about the Lemo connector, which is possibly the best, and most expensive, connector. I don't agree with his comments on the build. Everything about this headphone, except the actual cable, is top notch. This guy needs to stick to beats.

Oh, he likes the Sony Z1R and the Elear. That mean he likes a warm, gooey, dull sound. Yuck. Friggin' anything is bright compared to the Z1R.

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2018 at 11:13 AM Post #288 of 326
Not a good review. He complains about the Lemo connector, which is possibly the best, and most expensive, connector. His comments on build are moronic. Everything about this headphone, except the actual cable, is top notch. This guy needs to stick to beats.

Thanks. I will try harder next time... It's only one of the most popular Utopia review on Youtube however, so there's that. Further, Focal actually changed the cable based in part on my (and others) review when they came out with the Clear. I know this because they emailed me letting me know that at the time.

It's certainly no fun being called moronic, so thanks for that... Way to treat a fellow head-fi'er, I guess.

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2018 at 11:24 AM Post #289 of 326
Thanks. I will try harder next time... It's only the most popular Utopia review on Youtube.

It's certainly no fun being called moronic, so thanks for that...
Hey, the comments (only a few) were moronic, not the person! :)

No numbers on the sliders? really. Maybe 1 in a 1000 used numbers on the headband to size it. Also, you repeat yourself over and over. We got it that you don't think the cans are worth $4k. No one pays $4k, BTW, $3k is more likely price from a dealer, and $2k used.

Also, anything approaching flat is going to bright compared to the Z1R.

Sorry, "moronic" was probably too strong, but I certainly don't agree with your assessments about the headphones, except for the heft of the cable. I did ask Focal about that at RMAF, and they said they blind tested a number of cables, and thought this one sounded best. It's made by Sommer Cable (Germany), but I don't know which cable it is. Very similar to the SC-Peacock MKII, but that cable isn't as thick. The Focal cable retails for ~$1000, which is insane. Focal's only explanation for the high price is the "expensive limo connector", which are probably $50/pair for them, maybe a little more since they get a custom black version.

note, I removed the moronic comment as it was moronic!

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2018 at 12:22 PM Post #290 of 326
@miceblue don’t you own the UE Reference remastered? That would give me an idea of your preferences. I owned UERR, even though they sounded great in a lot of areas they were the darkest sounding headphone/iem I ever heard. Most stuff must sound quite bright to you.
I do have the UE RR. I would say it's polite-sounding, but not dark, to my ears at least.

But yes, a loooooot of stuff sounds bright to my ears, especially in-ears. :frowning2:

Insertion depth, seal, tips all make a huge difference in the sound and my ear canal is weird. The most comfortable universal in-ears I have are the Etymotic ER4SR, so there's that for a base comparison of what I find comfortable. Spinfits are probably the best single-flange tip I've used, but I find those uncomfortable too.

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2018 at 1:52 PM Post #291 of 326
Not a good review. He complains about the Lemo connector, which is possibly the best, and most expensive, connector. I don't agree with his comments on the build. Everything about this headphone, except the actual cable, is top notch. This guy needs to stick to beats.

Oh, he likes the Sony Z1R and the Elear. That mean he likes a warm, gooey, dull sound. Yuck. Friggin' anything is bright compared to the Z1R.

thanks for the reply. But out of interest, what's the material of the ear bud anyway?

Oct 24, 2018 at 3:16 PM Post #292 of 326
thanks for the reply. But out of interest, what's the material of the ear bud anyway?
If you are asking if there is plastic on the cup, there is. Is doesn’t affect the excellent sound, and makes the headphones light than they would be with metal there.

When I first heard the utopia, I owned and compared them to the HD800, TH900, PMx2, Ether C 1.1, and beyer T1v1. The utopia was (and is) the most tonally balanced and dynamic headphone I’ve heard. Since I’ve compared to various hifiman headphones and stax TOTLs, and I still prefer the utopia.

Oct 25, 2018 at 5:50 AM Post #293 of 326

following on from @Allanmarcus' posts, i suggest that you get hold of a focal utopia in your hot little hands, then put it on your head and then get back to us with your thoughts as to whether a $4k headphone that uses plastic as part of its construction is worthy of being described as premium quality

Oct 25, 2018 at 7:24 PM Post #294 of 326
I would love to. There is no demo I can get a hold of in my city. I own the Ultrasone Signature Pro though, and I'm very happy w/ the sound quality. Would you say Utopia is noticeably better?

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2018 at 8:26 PM Post #295 of 326
I would love to. There is no demo I can get a hold of in my city. I own the Ultrasone Signature Pro though, and I'm very happy w/ the sound quality. Would you say Utopia is noticeably better?
Well, I owned the Ultrasone Pro900 and I would say the Utopia was on another level compared to the Pro900.

Oct 26, 2018 at 7:18 AM Post #298 of 326
i've not tried the ultrasone signature pro so i can't comment on how it compares to the utopia. i hope that you do get an opportunity to try the utopia for yourself. to mark it down for containing plastic is as silly as criticising the z1r for containing softwood pulp. both headphones contain premium materials, are superbly built and feel deluxe imo.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2018 at 9:55 AM Post #299 of 326
but Ultrasone Pro 900i is a $469 headphone.

Signature Pro is a $1600 headphone.
It was higher than that when it first came out. Both of those models are kinda old.

Oct 26, 2018 at 11:15 AM Post #300 of 326
On related question, the video link I post says between high, mid and bass, the high is too sharp on the Utopia. Now, on a pair of floor speaker, Focal uses Beryllium at its tweeters. How does it work w/ a pair of headphone? Does it still have high, mid & bass as 3 separate speaker inside? And that Focal put beryllium at the high inside the headphone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back