CanJam @ RMAF 2018 Impressions (Oct 5-7, 2018)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 8, 2018 at 1:47 PM Post #136 of 326
The Sony Z1R are going to be delayed to December from what I have gathered. They are having production yield issues with the housing. I sincerely hope that is not the case, I have pre-ordered one since August and I was really hoping they will be shipping in November.

Who's your source? Cos that'd be a bummer, was hoping to check them out in late November time in HK :frowning2:

Oct 8, 2018 at 1:51 PM Post #137 of 326
Well I got home super late last night (Thanks, Frontier! You're the worst!) and I'm still recovering mentally and physically from an awesome weekend. But I wanted to mention one thing I think deserves more attention: the new Mackie headphones! At $99, these things were eye-openingly good for the price. These will for sure be my new go-to recommendation for noobs looking for a great budget headphone. Light, comfortable, removable cable, foldable (inwards, not flat), with a surprisingly balanced sound signature.

I know everyone wants to talk about the amazing high end stuff (OMG, that Meze with the Auris amp was divine!) but the Mackie, in its price range, was just as impressive imho.

Oct 8, 2018 at 3:15 PM Post #138 of 326
Must be great to have a son that's so into audio as yourself. Really cool.
If you are going by the ZMF table...would appreciate your comments on their offerings.
Bern

I liked the new (Verite) and old one (Auteur) alike. But the new one was a little more neutral and less musical or fun. To my ears and my son's, the Auteur had stronger bass and slightly more treble, but not overdone in a "loudness control" kind of way.

If I wasn’t all set up already, and I didn’t have to worry about spending money and could buy as many headphones as I wanted, the Auteur would still be fun to play with in my collection.

The Verite might fit the bill with a different source and DAC, but I couldn’t say. It was just slightly more bland sounding, but could dig down deep into the details. The sound was pretty open though, with a bigger soundstage than the Ether2 that I tried.

I don’t think either would replace my current TOTL phones like HD800, HE1K, HE-6, and Sennheiser HE-60.

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2018 at 5:24 PM Post #139 of 326
Good times, had a lot of fun with all our pals. Enjoyed the show immensely and look forward to the new venue for RMAF CanJam 2019. Thank you Jude, Joe and Ethan for putting on another great CanJam.

2 of my best audio buds, Vinnie Rossi and Todd Green aka Todd the Vinyl Junkie. To both of these legendary industry stalwarts, I salute you. Vinnie's new L2 Signature mono block and L2 preamplifier along with some Harbeth speakers were like being in a live concert, what a treat this room was. Vinnies builds just keep getting better and better, amazing stuff.

VR.jpg VR_system.jpg VR_lio_top.jpg
mono_block.jpg

Me and bud, Todd.

ttvj_ken.jpg

Show was great, the Campfire Audio Comet snagged a award for best IEM under 500 euros, the Comet is $199 USD so we are well under 500 euros :wink: Thank you press peoples!

rmaf_comet.jpg RMAF_award_graphic.png

Cheers,

Ken @ Campfire Audio

Last edited:
Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com
Oct 8, 2018 at 5:59 PM Post #140 of 326
Good times, had a lot of fun with all our pals. Enjoyed the show immensely and look forward to the new venue for RMAF CanJam 2019. Thank you Jude, Joe and Ethan for putting on another great CanJam.

2 of my best audio buds, Vinnie Rossi and Todd Green aka Todd the Vinyl Junkie. To both of these legendary industry stalwarts, I salute you. Vinnie's new L2 Signature mono block and L2 preamplifier along with some Harbeth speakers were like being in a live concert, what a treat this room was. Vinnies builds just keep getting better and better, amazing stuff.

Me and bud, Todd.

Show was great, the Campfire Audio Comet snagged a award for best IEM under 500 euros, the Comet is $199 USD so we are well under 500 euros :wink: Thank you press peoples!

Cheers,

Ken @ Campfire Audio

The show is so big that lately I tend to focus on what I know, or what I can afford with a kid in college.

Congrats! I’m now sorry I missed listening to these items. If I make it next year at the new venue I’m going to have to try to see more new gear.

Still have all the cables and amps from you over the years, except for the modded Ultrasone headphones. Cheers!

Oct 8, 2018 at 6:27 PM Post #141 of 326
Any more of the Sony DMP-Z1 impressions? Thanks in advance.

Oct 8, 2018 at 7:12 PM Post #142 of 326
Just got back from my annual 'family reunion' with all of my wonderful Head-Fi and audio friends. It was great to see all of you, and to get to hang out and hear a bunch of great stuff. Gaylord for 2019? Sounds funny to me, but who knows....

Oct 8, 2018 at 7:54 PM Post #143 of 326
Just attended my second year at the festival. First year was overwhelming because I had no clue what I was getting into. Got to meet a bunch of great people! I wanted to thank KB for being as passionate in person as he is in the forums. I picked up the Atlas and I'm loving them so far!

Oct 8, 2018 at 8:00 PM Post #144 of 326
I also attended Rmaf this year and picked up an atlas from KB and campfire folks as well! Loving them so far. I'm incredibly impressed with just how good a single driver can sound. Can't wait for what's next!

Oct 8, 2018 at 10:24 PM Post #145 of 326
Oct 9, 2018 at 2:06 AM Post #146 of 326
Oct 9, 2018 at 3:38 AM Post #150 of 326
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back