CanJam NYC 2022 Impressions Thread (February 26-27, 2022)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 28, 2022 at 11:22 AM Post #197 of 489
I would like to know more about your impression on MEXT> Specifically the midrange timbre - is it distinctly BA, or DD naturality is somewhat present?
@Niyologist have you heard all the MEST versions? Would love a quick comparison

Feb 28, 2022 at 11:33 AM Post #198 of 489
You want to use eq in the music that the producer already equalized....

the producer don't know about your playback equipment. usually they use more neutral speakers/hp's during production.

if you would use same HP for playback there is no need for EQ to hear the music as intended by the producer.

if the HP it's not the same, there are usually differences in some areas, which can be mitigated by EQ, to get a sound/tonality closer to the original.

original HP tunes are a matter of personal taste and liking, which is absolutely fine for me. I didn't said you have to use EQ or it's always good.

i just had added some content to a one-dimensional statement ala "never, ever use eq, it's destroys the fidelity"

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2022 at 11:36 AM Post #199 of 489
@Niyologist have you heard all the MEST versions? Would love a quick comparison
I listened to all 3 plus the indigo. My ranking was indigo, mest 2, mest, then Mext. Really wanted to like the mext more but it's just missing a little of everything. Still a great set and I would have purchased it without hesitation if the other sets weren't there to compare. The mest 2 to my ears had a larger sound stage, improved detail and a cleaner low end transition into the mids. Taking to the guys at the both Mext is the only one that doesn't use in house bone conductor. It's how they got the cost down but to my ears the quality of the low end took a small hit.

Feb 28, 2022 at 11:37 AM Post #201 of 489
I listened to all 3 plus the indigo. My ranking was indigo, mest 2, mest, then Mext. Really wanted to like the mext more but it's just missing a little of everything. Still a great set and I would have purchased it without hesitation if the other sets weren't there to compare. The mest 2 to my ears had a larger sound stage, improved detail and a cleaner low end transition into the mids. Taking to the guys at the both Mext is the only one that doesn't use in house bone conductor. It's how they got the cost down but to my ears the quality of the low end took a small hit.
This was my impression of the Mext, too--I couldn't listen to them after hearing the Mest and Indigo.

Feb 28, 2022 at 11:41 AM Post #203 of 489
I've done all that...I have JRiver music player and Roon, DSP etc. It doesn't matter. I like sound just as the designers intended, WITH the original fidelity of the sound signature. If a piece of equipment does not give that to me, and I need to 'EQ' it, it's not for me. :)
if you like what you hear, all fine, enjoy your music. no need for Eq, broad statments or anything else. be happy! cheers

Feb 28, 2022 at 11:43 AM Post #204 of 489
I've done all that...I have JRiver music player and Roon, DSP etc. It doesn't matter. I like sound just as the designers intended, WITH the original fidelity of the sound signature. If a piece of equipment does not give that to me, and I need to 'EQ' it, it's not for me.
Ah but what if one is using EQ not to correct issues with the equipment but rather to correct for one's own hearing? As we age our ability to hear some frequencies often changes (aka decreases) and a bit of EQ can be very helpful in helping to correct these shortcomings. As stated earlier, EQ cannot turn lead into gold but it can help put the shine back on some tarnished gold.

Feb 28, 2022 at 11:50 AM Post #205 of 489
I'm still in the canjam impressions thread, right?

Feb 28, 2022 at 11:52 AM Post #207 of 489
I would like to know more about your impression on MEXT> Specifically the midrange timbre - is it distinctly BA, or DD naturality is somewhat present?

I wish I could remember. I do remember the mids being lively, but not extremely bright. It was more toned down than the MKII.

Feb 28, 2022 at 11:55 AM Post #208 of 489
Ah but what if one is using EQ not to correct issues with the equipment but rather to correct for one's own hearing? As we age our ability to hear some frequencies often changes (aka decreases) and a bit of EQ can be very helpful in helping to correct these shortcomings. As stated earlier, EQ cannot turn lead into gold but it can help put the shine back on some tarnished gold.
Right, but the 'fidelity' drops; dynamics become congested and there is a slight lack of clarity. Why not skip the EQ, keep the best sound, and buy something suited to your hearing and taste? For my money that would be a more satisfying audiophile experience. :)

Feb 28, 2022 at 11:56 AM Post #209 of 489
Right, but the 'fidelity' drops; dynamics become congested and there is a slight lack of clarity. Why not skip the EQ, keep the best sound, and buy something suited to your hearing and taste? For my money that would be a more satisfying audiophile experience. :)
I disagree with everything you wrote after the word “Right.”

Feb 28, 2022 at 11:59 AM Post #210 of 489
Yeah, It's my fault, let's stay on topic! Funny, I didn't see any graphic equalizers being sold at canjam this weekend...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back