CanJam NYC 2020 Impressions Thread (February 15-16, 2020)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 17, 2020 at 5:08 PM Post #226 of 400
Feb 17, 2020 at 5:44 PM Post #228 of 400
I really liked Fidelice’s table. Wish I could have spent more time there. Their headphone amplifier is quite good...then I ‘spoiled’ everything by listening to their DAC/Headphone amp, which was really, really nice, I thought.

Also, the new Spinfit new XL tips - quite good!

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2020 at 6:31 PM Post #230 of 400
Are Audio Technica flagship closed back headphones any special?

Which one? They had a new closed back wooden headphone for $1200 if I recall correctly. I didn't spend a lot of time with it, but it seemed like it followed the AT house sound of forward mids and treble with good detail retrieval. I think they may have been semi-open as the isolation was very minimal.

I got to hear what I think was the ATH-ADX5000. It was incredibly light. I didn't spend much time with it, but it sounded very detailed and a bit bright.

Feb 17, 2020 at 6:59 PM Post #231 of 400
Very interesting and you rate them the same way i do so am interested to know what you liked about the A64 K9? Haven't tried the Anole VX; is it really that great?

I liked the way they layered the bass on that unit and it hit more like a dynamic. I say that because they didnt provide any information about it. Only a psuedo name. The K9 has typical great upper-range presentation that a64 does very well. But, i think it was very similar to the 18s to be honest. So, if you listened to the 18t or 18s you'll have a good idea of the K9.

As for the Anole. I auditioned it last year on my Schiit Stack and it was a "wow" experience. My digital player isnt amazing so i may be missing some details when powering more hungry IEMs but i can still get a good sense of things. The VX is just an amazing all-around unit that actually does everything very well and not just good. It also didn't help that the 3 people i went with all fell in love with and even preferred the VX over my other favorites.

I am now torn between that and the A64 18s. They are so very close to one another. But, the 18s does bass extension and bass tonality better.

The Anole (to me) has an upfront presentation. Its aggressive in every bit of the word. The VX does miss a bit in the bass department as far as tonality and extension. But its the hardest hitting BA ive heard and it thumps or as the kids say, it slaps. The bass comes across as sitting more next to the music vs enveloping it as the 18s does so well. If that makes sense.

The low end of the 18s is lush. The overall presentation sits back a tad bit further than on the VX and not as aggressive. Perhaps, it was a little more air on the 18s that i was perceiving vs more thickness on VX.

We're talking like if the VX is a 9.1 the 18s is a 9.0 and vice versa.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2020 at 7:21 PM Post #232 of 400
Sometimes small, affordable things can make a big difference as well.

I for one really like the SpinFit eartips. I took my time to find which ones I liked, and they make my IEM listening experience much more enjoyable.

I spent time at the SpinFit table and will be ordering some of their tips from Amazon with week. Also, the two gents I talked with were very nice and very enthusiastic, so props to them.

I think perhaps the only thing that impressed me was the Hiby R8. Incredible sound stage and detail. Good air, and vocals and just overall natural. I also found it to be quite transparent. It’s full on Android and has 4G, you can run whatever streaming music player you like, which would fit my use case, This one I look forward to hearing more about. I think it sounded better than the Cayin N8. Heard chatters or a price range around 2 grand.

I listened to the Hiby R8 as well, and enjoyed it. I didn't give it a critical listen, so will refrain from sound impressions, but look forward to the final edition hitting the market and giving it a listen then. It is big and heavy, and I think heavier than the A&K SP2K. Was also told it will run full Android 9 and can do Google PlayStore. As far price, heard the same $2000 from the vendor.

Special shout out to AJ at the JH Audio table. He was kind enough to answer numerous inane questions, sat patiently while my daughter subjected me to a blind test of various JH IEMs, and went the extra mile to do my impressions (yes, my daughter has all the photographic evidence).

@buke9 and I spent time at the JH Audio table and they were great to talk with. Got to share those pics! :ksc75smile:

Feb 17, 2020 at 7:45 PM Post #233 of 400
4.4mm is indeed the latest version, being offered alongside (not replacing) the 2.5mm. The newer 4.4mm balanced headphone output version is slightly more powerful with 4200mW @ 16ohms and has allegedly has "improved circuit design for better sonics and stability." https://bloomaudio.com/collections/...c-solid-state-tube-headphone-amp-and-streamer

Thanks, but that is for the Pro iDSD, not the Pro iCAN. I'm from Canada and had a NYC friend purchase the Pro iCAN standard version for me. However, if the 4.4mm version is available at the same price, I'm considering asking that person to exchange the unit. I'm asking this because nowhere is there any information the Pro iCAN 4.4.

It's kind of suspicious that the Pro iDSD 4.4 costs $250 more, when a 2.5->4.4 adapter costs $20. That's why I'm wondering if the Pro iCAN 4.4 also has better specs.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2020 at 8:19 PM Post #234 of 400
ESL-1 said:
As usual I had some fun conversations from the crew at the Auris table who continue to offer some great sounding and very unique products. Fun, fun, fun. Their new portable @ $249 was killer sound and value.
Which portable is that?
----------------------------------------------------------------------
I don't have my stuff from the show handy but I thing it was something like "TR-1", may need to check their site. It is a DAC/amp with Pre-amp function available. Well built all metal, saw it in black and the red just knocked me out. Very solid natural sound, plenty of push available. Amazing value for such designed in quality. Quite compact in size, a little taller & bigger than the ALO Continental v5. I hope the fellow who purchased the black one can give some initial impressions.
ESL-1

Feb 17, 2020 at 8:33 PM Post #235 of 400
ESL-1 said:
As usual I had some fun conversations from the crew at the Auris table who continue to offer some great sounding and very unique products. Fun, fun, fun. Their new portable @ $249 was killer sound and value.
Which portable is that?
----------------------------------------------------------------------
I don't have my stuff from the show handy but I thing it was something like "TR-1", may need to check their site. It is a DAC/amp with Pre-amp function available. Well built all metal, saw it in black and the red just knocked me out. Very solid natural sound, plenty of push available. Amazing value for such designed in quality. Quite compact in size, a little taller & bigger than the ALO Continental v5. I hope the fellow who purchased the black one can give some initial impressions.
ESL-1

This?----> https://www.aurisaudio.shop/collections/digital/products/earmen-tr-amp

Feb 17, 2020 at 9:58 PM Post #237 of 400
Zmf verite closed or focal stellia for resolution, detail and imaging? Least bass?
I'd go for the Stellia on that one -- Verite was a little wider sounding to me, but not quite at the resolution and speed of the Stellia. I had a portable player with me so I was able to play the same music on both sets. I came home from the show with the Stellia's

Feb 17, 2020 at 10:04 PM Post #238 of 400
Here is the pic I took with card. However nothing on the card except name
28FBC7B6-F587-4FDE-8343-579D99786109.jpeg

I thought the tubes were 2A3 due to the previous photo showing Psvane CV181 (6SN7) which looks kind of like Psvane 2A3-T. It makes more sense now.
Seeing the relative size of 6SN7 to the amp, the amps appears to be on the smaller side compared to other 'stat amps, and if the reported $3600 price is correct, that's not bad at all given the current state of 'stat amp prices..

Feb 17, 2020 at 11:22 PM Post #239 of 400
I liked the way they layered the bass on that unit and it hit more like a dynamic. I say that because they didnt provide any information about it. Only a psuedo name. The K9 has typical great upper-range presentation that a64 does very well. But, i think it was very similar to the 18s to be honest. So, if you listened to the 18t or 18s you'll have a good idea of the K9.

As for the Anole. I auditioned it last year on my Schiit Stack and it was a "wow" experience. My digital player isnt amazing so i may be missing some details when powering more hungry IEMs but i can still get a good sense of things. The VX is just an amazing all-around unit that actually does everything very well and not just good. It also didn't help that the 3 people i went with all fell in love with and even preferred the VX over my other favorites.

I am now torn between that and the A64 18s. They are so very close to one another. But, the 18s does bass extension and bass tonality better.

The Anole (to me) has an upfront presentation. Its aggressive in every bit of the word. The VX does miss a bit in the bass department as far as tonality and extension. But its the hardest hitting BA ive heard and it thumps or as the kids say, it slaps. The bass comes across as sitting more next to the music vs enveloping it as the 18s does so well. If that makes sense.

The low end of the 18s is lush. The overall presentation sits back a tad bit further than on the VX and not as aggressive. Perhaps, it was a little more air on the 18s that i was perceiving vs more thickness on VX.

We're talking like if the VX is a 9.1 the 18s is a 9.0 and vice versa.
These got my interest from long time. Only thing is reverse polarity connectors..and also I am not a fan of switches. But if the sound is that super I can take these into consideration.
Thanks for the impressions.

Feb 18, 2020 at 12:10 AM Post #240 of 400
@ John L "I thought the tubes were 2A3 due to the previous photo showing Psvane CV181 (6SN7) which looks kind of like Psvane 2A3-T. It makes more sense now.
Seeing the relative size of 6SN7 to the amp, the amps appears to be on the smaller side compared to other 'stat amps, and if the reported $3600 price is correct, that's not bad at all given the current state of 'stat amp prices.."

The model name is called the kodachi, I think the website was still under construction but may be up now but email should work.

A disclaimer I am a friend of this vendor he is a long time member on HF as well. I have been following the development of this unit and will be buying one. You are right it is a tube/SS hybrid and they do use the 6SN7. I was actually actually hoping he made a small high quality amp as I do travel months to almost a year at a time across the Atlantic so its nice to have a pack-able estat amp. The amps on display was bead blasted and anodized but one of the lids was not yet anodized in time. There will be a logo and model name on the amp and PSU but that did not get done due to timing but will be on them later. The finish should have an even better finish when he finds a reliable anodize shop.

I agree John L the work to make it small while giving you a case made of a solid block of aluminum is a great value alone, obviously the sound matters to but as every one knows often its preference but at least for me this is exactly what i need for great performance in a small well built package. Think those cards also give you 10% off so its abit less than $3600.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back