CanJam NYC 2020 Impressions Thread (February 15-16, 2020)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 16, 2020 at 8:23 PM Post #151 of 400
I went in to this year's can jam expecting to like Aeon 2 Closed as someone who very much liked (and still owns) the original Aeon Closed. I did not expect to like the Aeon 2 Closed so much that I would leave with both my old Aeon Closed AND and Aeon 2 Closed in my backpack (with a Vivo cable due a very nice deal they were offering)... but I did. And now that I have them at home and listening through my Bifrost multibit and Asgard 2 I am VERY happy with my purchase. IMO they maintain the detail and clarity of the original but add in some much-needed punchiness. Not just in the low end. Seems like the headphone is more engaging across the spectrum but not fatiguing to my ears.

Feb 16, 2020 at 8:34 PM Post #153 of 400
Yup. It was quite enjoyable.
Ok, yeah, that had a nice visceral kick to it, and I think the sub-base was decent too, so it was a nice combo. Do you think it could get fatiguing, tho?

Feb 16, 2020 at 8:35 PM Post #154 of 400
I got a Dunu Hulk for my CL2 and it turns out my Valkyries sound better with the Hulk than the Cleopatra. I paired my Cleo with the CL2 and it sounds fantastic...

Feb 16, 2020 at 8:36 PM Post #155 of 400
kinda new to this
I left the show even more confused of what I like - I own an hd600/crackatwoa and had very brief encounters with lcd2 (too dark) and the he560 (not the bass slam I wanted from planars) - so I'm not familiar with how different systems can sound

Listened to the fostex dekoni blue - too v shaped, and a tad grainy for me

The focal elegia was a bit...congested?

The stax 009/bhse has that transparency/aireyness(?) that's to die for - so effortless - also slams way harder than I expected on the bass

The utopias at the focal booth were fun to check out on different systems - the Mytek Manhattan combo had amazing detail and was revealing, but the cymbals sounded different (?) from the spl and focal amp

Spent a lot of time hanging in the zmf going between the verite and auteur - the auteur sounded like it did nothing wrong (and I didn't find the bass slam any less than the eikon, maybe I wasn't listening to the right tracks) - but the verite (sounded a tad warmer?) has that extra something (more texture?) - not sure what songs showcase the speed of the driver

The first day I checked out the aeon 2 open on the ak khancube, I thought it sounded overly warm - but I tried it again today and it was a fun head phone to me - the planar bass slam is definitely addicting - hard for me to differentiate between the open and closed

The aeolus and Vali 2 combo was a bit too midbass heavy, so I guess I'm more of a subbass head

So which did you like more: the Auteur or Verite?

Feb 16, 2020 at 8:38 PM Post #156 of 400
I was most impressed by the Meze Empyrean which I had the opportunity to listen to for the first time.
I thought it sounded thick...

Feb 16, 2020 at 8:40 PM Post #157 of 400
Ok, yeah, that had a nice visceral kick to it, and I think the sub-base was decent too, so it was a nice combo. Do you think it could get fatiguing, tho?
Not really. It depends on the source being used I guess. Maybe for bass-heavy tracks.

Feb 16, 2020 at 8:55 PM Post #159 of 400
Spent some time with @Eric Chong at the Eletech booth. Tried both the Plato and the Iliad; the Plato sounded surprisingly well with my EE Zeus, I was afraid the combination was going to be too bright, but instead the cable increased the body of the presentation, especially thickening the treble, a great, unexpected paring.
The Iliad sounded good with the Zeus but not great, while it shined with the A18t.

AA0D0583-8065-48FA-9B26-8A84DAF82BBA.jpeg707B1F72-8FFB-4D2A-B202-B55129340372.jpeg

Feb 16, 2020 at 8:56 PM Post #160 of 400
It was my first CanJam, thank you to the sponsors, attendees, and to the Head-Fi team. I had a fun time, and ordered a nice set of custom IEMs from a great crew at Empire Ears. Really enjoyed my chat with the brilliant Jan Meier, the man is a huge credit to our hobby. Was also neat to run into Drew from Moon, and even Justin from Headamp.

A special shout out to the team at Schiit, and my friend GC335, who not only have awesome gear, but are a genuinely good group.

Thank you all!

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2020 at 8:57 PM Post #161 of 400
I also picked up a Dunu Hulk MMCX cable with the plug adapters that include 2.5mm, 3.5mm and 4.4mm. They had run out of the MMCX version at the show so they'll ship from California tomorrow. Show special was $249 instead of $299.
https://hifigo.com/products/dunu-hulk-upgrade-cable-for-hifi-earphone-ime-detachable-mmcx-2-pin

I got a Dunu Hulk for my CL2 and it turns out my Valkyries sound better with the Hulk than the Cleopatra. I paired my Cleo with the CL2 and it sounds fantastic...

Feb 16, 2020 at 9:02 PM Post #162 of 400
Spent some time with @Eric Chong at the Eletech booth. Tried both the Plato and the Iliad; the Plato sounded surprisingly well with my EE Zeus, I was afraid the combination was going to be too bright, but instead the cable increased the body of the presentation, especially thickening the treble, a great, unexpected paring.
The Iliad sounded good with the Zeus but not great, while it shined with the A18t.

AA0D0583-8065-48FA-9B26-8A84DAF82BBA.jpeg707B1F72-8FFB-4D2A-B202-B55129340372.jpeg
I really loved their first two cables. My CTM VS-2 sounded more refined and more dynamic from the Eletech Fortitude.

Feb 16, 2020 at 9:04 PM Post #163 of 400
Feb 16, 2020 at 9:28 PM Post #164 of 400
So which did you like more: the Auteur or Verite?
I honestly don't know - I went in to the show hoping one stood out more - probably my lack of experience - to me the auteur does nothing wrong, but the verite brought out the extra little details on certain instruments - but listening to the auteur alone on the zdt Jr and Glenn otl, I couldn't find anything to fault

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back