CanJam NYC 2020 Impressions Thread (February 15-16, 2020)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 15, 2020 at 8:40 PM Post #47 of 400
There's definitely a strong family resemblance, but Stellia have better extension and speed - particularly in the bass. Also there's significantly better detail retrieval with the Stellia. Imaging is much sharper too. I've lived with the Elegia for a year (bought at last year's show!) but really strongly prefer the Stellia. For example, in the recent Berlin Philharmonic Tchaikovsky 6 you can not only hear terrific instrumental separation and dynamics but you can hear the hall much better, in fact, I noticed the conductor breathing. Another recording was Joyce DiDonato's "Faust" - the articulation and speed is at a whole other level than the Elegia with vocals. Bass is tighter, faster, better and more tactile. The Elegia is a really great, underrated headphone, but the Stellia is better in every regard I can think of. Haven't taken them off in 3 hours now!
Thanks for the feedback. I have lived with the Elegia for about 6 months. My first 5 months with a THX 789. Sounded good together. Since getting my Pathos Aurium I view the Elegia from a completely different lens. Love em. First time I have loved a pair of Focal headphones. Made me want the Stellia. Now even more so...

Feb 15, 2020 at 8:53 PM Post #48 of 400
Thanks for the feedback. I have lived with the Elegia for about 6 months. My first 5 months with a THX 789. Sounded good together. Since getting my Pathos Aurium I view the Elegia from a completely different lens. Love em. First time I have loved a pair of Focal headphones. Made me want the Stellia. Now even more so...
Even after just a few hours, I think the Stellia's are improving... I really like the Elegia's also - I've used mine with a THX 789 for the most part, but really liked them with some hybrid tube amps too, such as the Vali 2. I added a little eq here and there to the Elegia's, but I after rolling through a lot of familiar music tonight, I don't really see any need to EQ the Stellia. I think it's going to be less fatiguing, it'll be interesting to see how that plays out. I have the Clear Pro's also... I think the Stellia's beat them in many regards also.

Haven't heard the Pathos Aurium, I'm thinking about the Hugo TT2 as the next step for me.

Feb 15, 2020 at 8:57 PM Post #49 of 400
Even after just a few hours, I think the Stellia's are improving... I really like the Elegia's also - I've used mine with a THX 789 for the most part, but really liked them with some hybrid tube amps too, such as the Vali 2. I added a little eq here and there to the Elegia's, but I after rolling through a lot of familiar music tonight, I don't really see any need to EQ the Stellia. I think it's going to be less fatiguing, it'll be interesting to see how that plays out. I have the Clear Pro's also... I think the Stellia's beat them in many regards also.
They sound fantastic. Any new amps or DACs at the show that excited you?

Feb 15, 2020 at 9:00 PM Post #51 of 400
Haven't heard the Pathos Aurium, I'm thinking about the Hugo TT2 as the next step for me.
I demoed the TT2 about a month ago. It is another level to the Aurium. The Aurium is a special amp, but the TT2 was a WOW! I didn't have the Aurium yet. I ran it side by side against my 789 and the difference was startling. I have a really good DAC, but the TT2 was way better.

Feb 15, 2020 at 9:03 PM Post #52 of 400
They sound fantastic. Any new amps or DACs at the show that excited you?
The Benchmark amps were probably the best I heard. The Neve was interesting also. I noticed a lot of Hugo TT2's - I tried that with the MScaler and really thought it sounded great. I tried, briefly, the Bifrost 2, but it was connected to a pair of very open ribbon headphones. Very hard to get a good sense of it at the show. The GSX amps I listened to were terrific also. IFI didn't have much new going on with their high end amps, but I was surprised how good the Zen DAC was, and I heard it driving a pair of HEDD phones.

I demoed the TT2 about a month ago. It is another level to the Aurium. The Aurium is a special amp, but the TT2 was a WOW! I didn't have the Aurium yet. I ran it side by side against my 789 and the difference was startling. I have a really good DAC, but the TT2 was way better.
What DACs are you using?

Feb 15, 2020 at 9:06 PM Post #53 of 400
Feb 15, 2020 at 9:10 PM Post #55 of 400
Vinshine R2R Reference. Based on a Soekris DAC board.
That's interesting, I ran into DMS and he recommended the Soekris DAC also. More affordable than the Chord for sure, but the TT2/MScaler did sound incredible to me.
-- listening now to some orchestral music, lol, bassoons sound FANTASTIC on the Stellias, and I usually don't really pick them out from the other woodwinds

Feb 15, 2020 at 9:15 PM Post #56 of 400
That's interesting, I ran into DMS and he recommended the Soekris DAC also. More affordable than the Chord for sure, but the TT2/MScaler did sound incredible to me.
-- listening now to some orchestral music, lol, bassoons sound FANTASTIC on the Stellias, and I usually don't really pick them out from the other woodwinds
I like the Vinshine more than the Soekris 1541, but they are more similar than not. TT2 blows em both away. At least that was my take-away. It made me realize I need to move from mid-fi to hi-fi at some point. The Fidelice Neve DAC sounds super interesting as well.

Feb 15, 2020 at 9:42 PM Post #58 of 400
ZMF - listed to the Vérité Open and Auteur Open. What really needs to be said, both are great headphones, and bring the bass when the track has it. One of these two will be my next headphone. @Zachik close today, but will need to wait until Chicago.
Have a listen to the Verite Closed. Tough call between it and the Verite Open...

IFI didn't have much new going on with their high end amps, but I was surprised how good the Zen DAC was
Did iFi have any show specials for the Zen DAC? (preferably discount code for ordering online?)

Feb 15, 2020 at 10:02 PM Post #60 of 400
Was 64 Audio there with the new 18s? Did anyone get to hear it that can offer an impression compared to the original 18?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back