CanJam NYC 2020 (February 15-16, 2020)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 13, 2020 at 6:19 PM Post #556 of 596
That's one of the things I like about it. I have limited myself to IEMs so far, but have been eyeing headphones for ages. The main thing that is keeping me back is that (as a good little head-fier) I tend to escalate things in terms of cost rather quickly. This setup (Drop CAN + HD6xx) looks like it might well be a very attractive setup to consider starting out with while I try to fend off my more expensive tube amp urges (that Euterpe looks so good). :D

I have the HD6xx running of a Schiit Jotunheim, my first real headphone setup, and love it. It's nice to be able to sit down at the computer to listen to music while working or browsing Head-Fi :) and not having to worry about inserting IEMs. I can just quickly put the HD6xx on and listen. With that said, I fully understand about the slippery slope in search of even better gear. CanJam NYC will be a true test this weekend to see if I don't make any major purchases. I'll probably get a mid-level cable to pair with my Solaris, but that's what I plan to limit my spending to. I will only listen to ZMF headphones after good recommendations from @Zachik and @buke9 at SoCal last year @Zachik good thing you won't be able to induce any peer pressure :sunglasses:

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2020 at 6:41 PM Post #558 of 596
I have the HD6xx running of a Schiit Jotunheim, my first real headphone setup, and love it. It's nice to be able to sit down at the computer to listen to music while working or browsing Head-Fi :) and not having to worry about inserting IEMs. I can just quickly put the HD6xx on and listen. With that said, I fully understand about the slippery slope in search of even better gear. CanJam NYC will be a true test this weekend to see if I don't make any major purchases. I'll probably get a mid-level cable to pair with my Solaris, but that's what I plan to limit my spending to. I will only listen to ZMF headphones after good recommendations from @Zachik and @buke9 at SoCal last year @Zachik good thing you won't be able to induce any peer pressure :sunglasses:

How do you like the Solaris? I am headed there first?

Feb 13, 2020 at 6:42 PM Post #559 of 596
Anyone know what discounts ZMF had last year?

Feb 13, 2020 at 6:47 PM Post #560 of 596
How do you like the Solaris? I am headed there first?

The soundstage is incredible and has great separation. When I listen to "live" tracks I tend to prefer the Solaris as depending on the track I can get an incredible sense of direction. With the DD, there's also great bass and rumble. The biggest downside is the size, so make sure the fit works.

Feb 13, 2020 at 7:06 PM Post #561 of 596
The soundstage is incredible and has great separation. When I listen to "live" tracks I tend to prefer the Solaris as depending on the track I can get an incredible sense of direction. With the DD, there's also great bass and rumble. The biggest downside is the size, so make sure the fit works.
Great thank you.... Fit is always an issue with me with IEMS.... too big or too small?

Feb 13, 2020 at 7:57 PM Post #562 of 596
Great thank you.... Fit is always an issue with me with IEMS.... too big or too small?

Most of the comments I've seen have the Solaris as too big, and the weight causes issues with ensuring a good fit and hence seal. When you see it in person at Campfire's booth and compare it to other IEMs, you will see the size difference. With that said, take plenty of time to try them out with the correct size tips.

Feb 13, 2020 at 8:03 PM Post #563 of 596
I'll probably get a mid-level cable to pair with my Solaris, but that's what I plan to limit my spending to.
I just got the DHC Clone Silver and OMG listening to them mainly the Solaris SE and WM1Z and the amount of additional details and increase in soundstage blew me away. The only downside is it's $800 and it took 10 weeks to arrive. I'll most likely be selling off my ALO Gold 16 now.

Feb 13, 2020 at 8:07 PM Post #564 of 596
I have created a playlist "CanJam Favorites" on our ROON server which includes the above music. Feel free to add suggestions and when you are at the Benchmark booth and you hear something that you feel others will appreciate add it to the playlist during the show!
Add Chocolate Chip Trip by Tool. It's a 4:48 drum solo that includes multiple panning effects for synthesizer effects. The drums are mic'ed naturally and it sounds like you are sitting in the middle of the drum kit with the right gear.

Feb 13, 2020 at 8:15 PM Post #565 of 596
I just got the DHC Clone Silver and OMG listening to them mainly the Solaris SE and WM1Z and the amount of additional details and increase in soundstage blew me away. The only downside is it's $800 and it took 10 weeks to arrive. I'll most likely be selling off my ALO Gold 16 now.

I have the EA Leonidas II with 2-pin connectors that I use with my EE IEMs, makes the EE Phantoms sound wonderful. I was lucky that I won that cable last year from EA. I'll be asking about adapters this weekend as well.

Feb 13, 2020 at 9:11 PM Post #566 of 596
I will only listen to ZMF headphones after good recommendations from @Zachik and @buke9 at SoCal last year @Zachik good thing you won't be able to induce any peer pressure :sunglasses:
No peer pressure needed - once you audition ZMF headphones, the ONLY question will be: which of them am I buying today, with the show specials... :smiling_imp:

Feb 14, 2020 at 9:57 AM Post #567 of 596
Good morning! It seems a number of people are already planning on visiting, so might just run into you guys there, but as a heads up, we'll be at @Audio46 between about Noon to 3 PM today.

DUNU It's a good time to go #PRO. Our next generation of in-ears powered by ECLIPSƎ are here! Learn more on our official website. Stay updated on DUNU at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/DUNU.FANS/ https://twitter.com/DUNU_Headphone https://www.instagram.com/dunu_topsound/ https://www.dunu-topsound.com/ https://m.me/DUNU.FANS int_ops@dunu-topsound.com, support@dunutopsound.com
Feb 14, 2020 at 10:14 AM Post #568 of 596
Nice video, as always. Great job guys :)

Dang, those Chord products look neat! Also, that Final A8000 looks awesome if its FR measurements were made on a standard 711 coupler. @jude, @AxelCloris, were these measurements made with GRAS' standard 711 coupler, or the 0401/0402 hi-res coupler?!?

Hi @csglinux, the measurements were made with the GRAS RA0401. In my post with the video, you'll see the entire measurement setup that was used. We'll soon also be incorporating measurements using the new Brüel & Kjær 5128. We've been doing a lot of measurements with that recently, too.

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2020 at 12:33 PM Post #570 of 596
Fast Headphones, Streaming Chords, Be IEMs, High-End DAPs, & More At CanJam NYC 2020 - Head-Fi TV

NOTE: If you can't see the embedded video above, please CLICK HERE to see the video.​

Kicking off the CanJam Season with new gear from Chord Electronics, Abyss, Cayin, final, Schiit, HEDD, iFi, HIFIMAN, DUNU, and more, with a lot of audio measurements. This year's will easily be the biggest CanJam New York to date, with MUCH more gear to hear than we could show you in this video. CanJam NYC 2020 happens February 15-16, 2020.

Fast Headphones, Streaming Chords, Be IEMs, High-End DAPs, & More At CanJam NYC 2020 - Head-Fi TV - produced by Brian Murphy, Joe Cwik, and Jude Mansilla​

The measurements in this video were made using:

It was cool seeing the TAEC housing in the Solaris SE at 0:27:52

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back