CanJam NYC 2019 Impressions Thread
Feb 19, 2019 at 7:52 AM Post #316 of 474
I went Saturday and that was my first CanJam. Man what a blast! I brought my lady with me (still debating whether it was a good idea or not lol, oh well). It was an amazing opportunity to experience gears coming from both ends of price spectrum. Saves me from buying blind.

Nice people from MusicTeck might remember my indecision between Cayin N8 and Lotoo Paw Gold Touch. End up buying a Lotoo Paw Gold Touch through MusicTeck's website, as my Fiio x7 mark ii's volume wheel starts failing on me.

What gear caught my interest? Obravo's ra c-cu. :ksc75smile:
I was told to listen to that very unaffordable inear, but I chose to hear their flagship over ear instead the Hamt-1 Signature. Which sounded badass btw.

Feb 19, 2019 at 9:50 AM Post #318 of 474
Nice people from MusicTeck might remember my indecision between Cayin N8 and Lotoo Paw Gold Touch. End up buying a Lotoo Paw Gold Touch through MusicTeck's website, as my Fiio x7 mark ii's volume wheel starts failing on me.
I had the same problem choosing between N8 and LPGT. In the end, I also chose LPGT for its sound signature and the responsiveness of its UI.

Feb 19, 2019 at 10:03 AM Post #320 of 474
I had the same problem choosing between N8 and LPGT. In the end, I also chose LPGT for its sound signature and the responsiveness of its UI.
Glad you like the Touch. It was pretty good but I prefer the N8 for one reason and that was the sound.

Feb 19, 2019 at 11:59 AM Post #324 of 474
My impressions. Heard so many headphones I already know well. Both new Focal closed were underwhelming, with the flagship closed being a little better. The show stoppers for me were the rare in-ear I tried (I generally am not into those) the Sennheiser Momentum True Wireless. Like Jude said, warm tilt I love. Totally flat with largest ear tips, they were comfortable (though tricky to get in so they don't fall out). A good contender for 3rd party tips if offered in the future. Great soundstage, as good as any in-ear I've heard & detailed but relaxed treble. Treble heads or analytics won't dig it, but for those of us who find 90% of IE's too bright - they're perfect. Sub bass was incredible, the best in class.

For closed the HD820 wins again. I got to finally test it with the bridge on Kelis "Weekend", and its 29 hz sub bass note many cans, speakers and even subs can miss. It was there with just a slight roll off under 30 hz. Played a classic on Tidal "Babylon Sisters" by Steely Dan. It was all I'd want it to be. The mix had nothing missing. No audible dips, despite frequency graph issues some notice. That song on a flat system is just below too bright in their hi-hats. Not with these, you hear everything with nothing near harsh in the highs. I just wish their headband allowed the earcups to extend farther, 1/2 inch on each side would be fine for me - but then, 90% of headphones don't fit me comfortably.

Best all around open pair, Diana Phi. The Abyss Phi edges it out but doesn't fit as comfortable being heavier and needing a bit more reach for the earcups. The Diana Phi was light, and extends far enough. Ear pads are better than older Diana but I still find if I push in against the bottom of the outer earcup I better seal them to my head as it just feels correct. I know they're designed for that but the slight space without doing that seems to thin the sound a bit. With or without that push the sub bass was incredible, even more than most closed cans, yet incredibly detailed and clean. No mid bass bloat. It gets the balance right, like the HD820 did. Soundstage and detail, still with no harshness either.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2019 at 12:23 PM Post #325 of 474
My impressions. Heard so many headphones I already know well. Both new Focal closed were underwhelming, with the flagship closed being a little better. The show stoppers for me were the rare in-ear I tried (I generally am not into those) the Sennheiser Momentum True Wireless. Like Jude said, warm tilt I love. Totally flat with largest ear tips, they were comfortable (though tricky to get in so they don't fall out). A good contender for 3rd party tips if offered in the future. Great soundstage, as good as any in-ear I'de heard & detailed but relaxed treble. Treble heads or analytics won't dig it, but for those of us who find 90% of IE's too bright - they're perfect. Sub bass was incredible, the best in class.

For closed the HD820 wins again. I got to finally test it with the bridge on Kelis "Weekend", and its 29 hz sub bass note many cans, speakers and even subs can miss. It was there with just a slight roll off under 30 hz. Played a classic on Tidal "Babylon Sisters" by Steely Dan. It was all I'd want it to be. The mix had nothing missing. No audible dips, despite a frequency plot issues some notice. That song on a flat system, is just below too bright in their hi-hats. Not with these, you hear everything with nothing near harsh in the highs. I just wish their headband allowed the earcups to extend farther, 1/2 inch on each side would be fine for me - but then, 90% of headphones don't fit me comfortably.

Best all around open pair, Diana Phi. The Abyss Phi edges it out but doesn't fit as comfortable being heavier and needing a bit more reach for the earcups. The Diana Phi was light, and extends far enough. Ear pads are better than older Diana, but I still find if I push in against the bottom of the outer earcup I better seal them to my had, as it just feels correct. I know they're designed for that but the slight space without doing that seems to thin the sound a bit. With or without that push the sub bass was incredible, even more than most closed cans, yet incredibly detailed and clean. No mid bass bloat. It gets the balance right, like the HD820 did. Soundstage and detail, still with no harshness either.

Hd820 was a disappointment, given that I love 800s. We all hear different though. I just couldn’t deal with the dip in the upper mid

For closed back headphones with more balanced signature, the Z7 M2 was excellent, and I thought the name Z7 M2 us confusing as it is nothing similar in sound signature in comparison to Z7 M1

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2019 at 12:39 PM Post #328 of 474
Hd820 was a disappointment, given that I love 800s. For closed back headphones with more balanced signature, the Z7 M2 was excellent, and I thought the name Z7 M2 us confusing as it is nothing similar in sound signature in comparison to Z7 M1

Other than ear buds, one of the more difficult kinds of headphone to get any consistent opinion about are large-size closed-back headphones -- and especially if those headphones have firmer earpads.

With closed headphones it's typically very important to get a good seal, and when you have such physically large earcups that cover a lot of area, you've got a greater chance of getting into head shape nooks and crannies and facial features that can break the seal. In such cases, if the earpads are more firm (less cushiony), then they're less likely to fill those physical gaps.

The HD820 is definitely one of these headphones. I've found the beyerdynamic Amiron wireless another one. Fortunately, I get a pretty good seal with both, but I can easily break the seal while chewing, for example (which is a generally unpleasant thing to do and listen to with closed headphones anyway).

Now, all that said, even if you get a perfect fit -- as with any other headphone -- you may or may not like them.

Feb 19, 2019 at 12:50 PM Post #329 of 474
Other than ear buds, one of the more difficult kinds of headphone to get any consistent opinion about are large-size closed-back headphones -- and especially if those headphones have firmer earpads.

With closed headphones it's typically very important to get a good seal, and when you have such physically large earcups that cover a lot of area, you've got a greater chance of getting into head shape nooks and crannies and facial features that can break the seal. In such cases, if the earpads are more firm (less cushiony), then they're less likely to fill those physical gaps.

The HD820 is definitely one of these headphones. I've found the beyerdynamic Amiron wireless another one. Fortunately, I get a pretty good seal with both, but I can easily break the seal while chewing, for example (which is a generally unpleasant thing to do and listen to with closed headphones anyway).

Now, all that said, even if you get a perfect fit -- as with any other headphone -- you may or may not like them.

I totally agree with everything you said. The thing that I couldn’t deal with the Dip in the upper mid somewhere in HD820. I don’t mind the boosted bass as it is a result of closed back (quiet enjoyable). However, both Stellia and Z7 M2 were tuned very well to keep the bass a little more balanced in my personal opinion.

I would pick up Stellia if high-end closed back is what I want, then next up would be Z7 M2 if affordable closed back is needed. I don’t know what to say, but the dip in the HD820 was weird, I didn’t have such issue with TH900 eventhough the 900 also has a dip in similar place but not as servere, so I think it must be the TH900 is still semi open where as 820 was a totally closed back

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2019 at 12:56 PM Post #330 of 474
Sony Z1R for closed back. FUN signature and more entertaining than the Stellia

For Focal - Utopia - the original and still the best

Users who are viewing this thread

Back