CanJam NYC 2017 Impressions Thread!
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 9, 2017 at 10:50 PM Post #241 of 323
I also really enjoyed CamJam.  While I heard a lot of great gear, amazingly, the product I ran home and bought immediately is the tiny $235 Sony Walkman (NW-A35).  The reps said it is not yet available in the USA, but I found it on Amazon (with Prime) and had it in one day.  This thing is a FANTASTIC transport!!!  I've searched for the perfect transport for a while, and I think this might actually be it.  This model only has 16GB of internal storage, but it takes a micro sd card, and the top model (the one not yet available in the USA) is only 64GB internal.  Sony says it can address a 256GB micro sd, but I only have a 128GB card right now, and it works great.  This thing is tiny, and the UI is good enough for me, but not as good as A&K.  It is working great with Hugo and Mojo.  I have not yet tried it with a "home" dac.

One thing, you need to buy a separate cable to output digital from the proprietary jack on the bottom.  The charger cable that comes with the Walkman does not transfer data (at least it didn't for me), but the digital output cable from Amazon that is made by Sony fits the bill.  I will also soon be testing a custom one that is also advertised on Amazon because the Sony cable is a little awkward in that it is USB female out, so it requires another cable to connect the Walkman to a dac.

I hope CanJam returns to NYC.

Feb 9, 2017 at 11:10 PM Post #242 of 323
  Thanks to the organizers for putting on this show!

I was only there on Saturday, but had a fine time.  I was lucky enough to get a time slot with the Smyth A-16 which is really fascinating and
a bargain for the spatial presentation it can create.  It was just excellent for movies, etc. 
I would have liked to see what it can do with 2 channel studio music and 2 channel live concert recordings since that is the vast majority of my listening.
This has tremendous potential and I really enjoyed my technical discussions with the creator.
It seems that a number of our local head-fiers, including some of the stax mafia, have ordered A-16 units so maybe we'll get to hear them at next
falls NY/NJ meet?

Fang's Shangri-la headphones are superb and in the same league as my 009/BHSE combo.
As usual, the 009/bhse sounded great, particularly since headamp is (finally!) putting a higher quality DAC into their demo.
I've felt for a long time that the DACs they have been using in the past did not allow the 009/bhse to show its stuff as brilliantly as it was capable of doing.
IMHO, an R2R DAC + 009/bhse is as good as it gets.
Unfortunately I didn't get around to hearing the Sennheiser TOL unit or the TOL Schiit DAC.

While there were many other good sounding iem on display, I was most impressed with the Katana which seemed to do everything well and nothing poorly or out of proportion.
It just sounded right.

Disagree on the Shangi-la.  I was not overly impressed and left thinking that your rig (009/BHSE) is still the tops and outperforms everything.  

Couldn't agree more on the DAC.  These headphone companies really should be using better DAC's.  No offense to the Mytec fans, but a $55,000 headphone system should not demo with a $2000 DAC.  There are better DAC's out there, and I think HiFiMan really missed it with the demo.  Plus, their crummy laptop setup stuck at the end of the table with minimal hires demo music was plain dumb marketing.

Feb 9, 2017 at 11:21 PM Post #243 of 323
Disagree on the Shangi-la.  I was not overly impressed and left thinking that your rig (009/BHSE) is still the tops and outperforms everything.  

Couldn't agree more on the DAC.  These headphone companies really should be using better DAC's.  No offense to the Mytec fans, but a $55,000 headphone system should not demo with a $2000 DAC.  There are better DAC's out there, and I think HiFiMan really missed it with the demo.  Plus, their crummy laptop setup stuck at the end of the table with minimal hires demo music was plain dumb marketing.
I've listened to a Stax 009 and BHSE set up at a smaller meet in Charlotte, NC and it was plenty quite there. I agree it still stands out in my mind and I too think it is a better set up than the Shangri-La.

Feb 9, 2017 at 11:24 PM Post #244 of 323
a $55,000 headphone system should not demo with a $2000 DAC.  There are better DAC's out there, and I think HiFiMan really missed it with the demo.

Just imagine the Shangri-La on their HM901S portable media player at RMAF. XD

In all fairness, I'll be getting a chance to hear it on a more proper rig (hopefully) right after the HE-1 later this month.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/807600/cavalli-audio-presents-the-source-av-s-summer-series-2016/405#post_13213021

Feb 10, 2017 at 2:57 AM Post #245 of 323
Here's a second batch of photos from NYC - this time bumming around Little Italy and Times Square with @MTMECraig@Evshrug and@moedawg140.

Feb 10, 2017 at 4:43 AM Post #246 of 323
Hey guys,
Posted some of my meet impressions on Mad Lust Envy's Surround gaming thread, here:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-3-18-2016-mrspeakers-ether-c-1-1-added/38160_30#post_13250036

I'm going to talk a bit about the VR seminar later, but right now my For Honor beta just finished downloading and I want to play once before falling asleep!

Feedback welcome :)

Feb 10, 2017 at 5:11 AM Post #247 of 323
  WOW, thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread so far! Just getting back into the swing of things after the very busy CanJam NYC weekend and special thanks to all of the volunteers that helped make this event such a great success. I'm very pleased to say that CanJam NYC was the biggest CanJam we have ever done with over 2000 people in attendance! Even more impressive was the great atmosphere and vibe during the event which was just so much fun. Below are links to photos from the event as well as press coverage. Can't wait to do this again next year, and yes, we will be doing CanJam NYC 2018! Stay tuned for more details!

CanJam NYC 2017 Press Coverage: http://www.canjamglobal.com/press
CanJam NYC 2017 Photos: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B6oCfj7iiOMZMFU1czRhM3hHeVE?usp=sharing

That carpet gives me the fear.

Feb 10, 2017 at 11:24 AM Post #248 of 323
My 3,000 word+ comprehensive CanJam show report is up!!

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/CanJam_NYC_2017/

Page 1: Full-Size Desktop Audio, Page 2: Portable Audio, Page 3: Ultra High-End and Best-In-Show.

Feb 10, 2017 at 11:36 AM Post #249 of 323
My 3,000 word+ comprehensive CanJam show report is up!!

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/CanJam_NYC_2017/

Page 1: Full-Size Desktop Audio, Page 2: Portable Audio, Page 3: Ultra High-End and Best-In-Show.

Call me ishmael.....3000 words!!  
eek.gif

Feb 10, 2017 at 1:08 PM Post #251 of 323
Hey guys,
Posted some of my meet impressions on Mad Lust Envy's Surround gaming thread, here:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-3-18-2016-mrspeakers-ether-c-1-1-added/38160_30#post_13250036

I'm going to talk a bit about the VR seminar later, but right now my For Honor beta just finished downloading and I want to play once before falling asleep!

Feedback welcome :)
Just read the part about Empire Ears, the switch on the Zeus-XR is changing the number of passive crossovers being used(7 vs. 8), not opening or closing the "port" on the ADEL module. The ADEL tech and the switch are competely independent of each other.

Feb 10, 2017 at 5:05 PM Post #252 of 323
  @ss5972 - I've placed a CanJam NYC badge on your profile!

@joe  - any idea why some badges have a text appear when mouse hovers over, whereas other badges do not?
Not everyone know which badge is from which CanJam...  
wink.gif

Feb 10, 2017 at 5:44 PM Post #254 of 323
I'll look into it!

Looks like some (the older ones) have hyperlinks that take you to the forums on the event and some don't, hence the difference. Cheers

Feb 10, 2017 at 5:45 PM Post #255 of 323
One last set of photos from exploring NYC. These are from our stop at the John Varvatos store on Bowery. Other than selling really expensive men's clothing, the store is absolutely packed with killer rock memorabilia, guitars, vintage receivers, etc. - so I thought you guys might like these. Here are a few shots:

Thanks for letting me share guys! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back