CanJam NYC 2017 Impressions Thread!
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 8, 2017 at 5:29 PM Post #212 of 323
Can you add for me, please.

Feb 8, 2017 at 6:50 PM Post #214 of 323
I would love a CanJam profile badge. :)

I really enjoyed NYC CanJam. It was really nice to finally meet so many people including customers and manufacturers. Everyone wanted to try our Violectric V281 with the Utopia and LCD-4. We also had ZMF's new headphones, actually I think everyone did! They were really good.

Feb 8, 2017 at 6:59 PM Post #215 of 323
  Tom I am listening now with the Dave and Elear. Look for my review in March on the Elear with the DAVE. It is excellent and the member who heard that combo in Philly meet also responded well to that combo.

I also thought that the combo of Dave and Elear was impressive.  I listened on Sunday morning for about 15-20 minutes. Looking forward to your review.

Feb 8, 2017 at 7:21 PM Post #216 of 323
I never tried the Elear yet. I'm really curious how it sounds compared to the Utopia. From what I have been told it's a nice step up for those still using HD650's. Similar sound signature with more detail I guess.

Feb 8, 2017 at 7:33 PM Post #217 of 323
Anyone other than me listen to the Empire Ears Zeus-XR ADEL on the DAVE?

Feb 8, 2017 at 7:45 PM Post #218 of 323
I thought the new Acoustic Research over ear headphones they were showing off were fantastic. Massive soundstage, great tonality, yet hard to drive.

crud. Just walked by them a few times.

Feb 8, 2017 at 8:09 PM Post #219 of 323
This was my first Cam Jam.  It was great to get to listen to some of the stuff we wish we could have.  I am not a reviewer, just love hearing great gear.

I did listen to the Focal Utopia and the Abyss Headphones.  They were awesome, just out of my price range.

Impressions:

ALO booth was excellent.
I even purchased the Lyra II on the spot.  Show special $599.00.  Ken Ball, CEO of ALO is a great guy and is honest.  I inadvertently overpaid the list price ($699.00) and Ken was kind enough to credit me the difference. 

WOW factor:  ALO Prototype closed tune-able headphones are a must have.  They sounded great.

Questyle amazing.

WOW factor:  Headphone amp and Dac are a must have.

ZMF Headphones.
I met Zach and he is passionate about his Headphones.

WOW factor:  ZMF Eikons - pound for pound one of the best sounding headphones at that price point.  Must have!

Mr. Speakers.
Ether C were great.

WOW factor:  Aeon sounded so smooth and were so comfortable.  Gotta get these.

Feb 8, 2017 at 8:25 PM Post #220 of 323
I have known Zach for a while now and he really stepped up his game with these new models.

Some more pictures I just uploaded from the show...

We took pics of all the exhibitors, but I'm waiting for an SD card delivery. I will post them soon.

Feb 8, 2017 at 9:15 PM Post #222 of 323
I did bro, with my Zeus-XRA G1 + Mars/Leonidas Bespoke. It makes me hate my AK380Cu+Amp Cu.

Actually, I was there right after you. lol.
Lol, just wondering did you happen to listen to the track that I was listening to? I wish every company had some sort of set up with Tidal, it just simplifies everything and allows anyone to listen to their own music.

Feb 8, 2017 at 11:09 PM Post #224 of 323
This was my first CanJam and my first headphone event, and I have to say it was amazing. I attended both days from open til close, volunteered for the second half of Saturday, and went to the bowling event. I had kind of expected people to be stuck up, but no, everyone I met, from attendees to Jude, third_eye, and the other organizers were gracious and kind. I had such a great time getting to know some of the other people and seeing the diversity of the community. Also winning two giveaways didn't hurt!

That being said, here are my (humble) impressions from the event.

For a first timer, I don't think the sound level was really an issue at all for me.

Mr. Speakers Aeon

Wow, these were perhaps the most comfortable cans that I tried out the whole time.
I kept coming across them at different vendors, and each time I loved the feel and the sound from them. 

Shiit Audio
Fulla 2 - I wasn't as impressed by this as I thought I would be. Not to say that it's bad, but I wasn't a fan of the sound I got in my cans

Magni 2 - This made it to the top of my list for my next amp purchase

Asgard 2 - Given more available funds, my favorite amp at their table. I listened to Ragnarok, but didn't like the clicking of the volume knob. also realized that I much prefer the sound of solid state amps over tubes.

Audeze
iSine - I loved these. I've wanted these since I saw them announced, but listening to them, I got the feeling of my el-8's (which I love) in a much more portable package. I don't remember if I listened to the 10's or 20's though.

cipher cable - Listened to this with the iSines and was very impressed. I'm very interested in getting one for my el-8's

Astell & Kern
I've never had a DAP that wasn't an apple device or a PC, and these were my favorite of the show. I preferred the interface of these to any of the others I saw at the show, though I'll admit I didn't try every single one.

AudioQuest NightOwl
I don't like the sound of the NightHawks, but the NightOwls left a very good impression with me. I was really hoping to win these in the giveaway, though I'm definitely happy with getting the dragonfly red as 2nd place.

CIEMs
Too many to review individually, but my favorites were the Noble Kaiser Encore, which I wish I had been able to listen to before I got my UE's, followed by 64 Audio A18 and Empire ears Zeus XR (which I couldn't tell a difference when flipping the switches on).

Campfire Audio
I liked the vega's, they had what I would describe as a more blended sound to them.

Periodic audio
I actually preferred the Mg's over the  Be's. Did not like the ti's

Meze 99 Classic
Wow, only got a quick listen to these, but do not discount these. They were really good.

Hifiman shangri-la
They really needed a separate room for these.

Smyth Realiser A16
Really powerful demo. I couldn't tell the difference between the headphones and a 12 speaker atmos setup. It was really cool. I just wish they had a better tracking system, because It was too narrow a range for me since I work a lot in VR and am used to 6dof tracking systems.

THX amps
They sounded really good to me. I can't wait to see some commercial products use their amp design.

Sennheiser HE 01
Had to save the best for last. I was lucky enough to get a listen at the end of Sunday, and wow. Absolutely the best headphones I've ever listened to. They were really comfortable too. Downside? 2yrs of my paychecks, so I won't ever be buying these. But if you ever have the chance to schedule a listening session - do it.

Feb 9, 2017 at 2:16 AM Post #225 of 323
CanJam NYC was super fun to me. I was working at the FiiO booth doing a lot of the English talking to people. It was a new experience for me being on the other side of the table, as opposed to an attendee. Since we were situated at the entrance, we had a lot of first-time visitors, as well as people being completely new to the hobby. Talking to newcomers was fun since we were all newcomers to the hobby at one point, and my first DAC/amp was a FiiO E7.

Being in New York City was likewise an experience for all of us at FiiO. It was FiiO's first time in NYC, and it was my first time back in NYC since my Eighth Grade school field trip.

I'll post a few photos that I took shortly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back