CanJam NYC 2017 Impressions Thread!
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 8, 2017 at 5:56 AM Post #196 of 323

CanJam in Orange County the last two years had alot of smaller rooms it was good spot.  I'm afraid LA will be like NY.

Good point, I was able to listen critically in the Woo Audio room and in the Sennheiser HE-1 room.

Feb 8, 2017 at 7:47 AM Post #197 of 323
  I tried the ME1... Lawrence did warn me that my Mojo might not be enough to drive them, and perhaps he was right. They sounded extremely cramped and flat to me. But that might not be a fair assessment since I didn't try them with another source.

That, on top of me being too excited and try out the Campfire Vega that I bought. They have transformed my music experience. Can't recommend them enough.

wow if mojo can not drive me1, then i guess this is not to be used as on the go iem

Feb 8, 2017 at 9:54 AM Post #198 of 323
True, it's hard to listen critically in the noisy show environment, but it's still fun to check all the stuff I haven't seen out.

For IEMs you can bring over ear shooting protection to be able to listen critically, not sure if they make anything that you could put over a headphone.  I see a market for an innovator!

Feb 8, 2017 at 9:56 AM Post #199 of 323
For IEMs you can bring over ear shooting protection to be able to listen critically, not sure if they make anything that you could put over a headphone.  I see a market for an innovator!

Great idea! Had never thought about that for some reason. Cheers

Feb 8, 2017 at 3:31 PM Post #203 of 323
All joking aside I do think that the noise is a very large issue at CanJam. Especially for newcomers to the industry such as myself, any attempt to try an open-back headphone will not do any one of them justice. I'd actually never heard an open-back headphone at all, and perhaps explicitly due to the noise levels, I fail to see all the praise heaped upon open-backs vs closed-backs.

This is especially important when demoing the pricier units such as the Z1R and the Utopia, as well as the Ethers which I had been wanting to demo for so long. They sounded great but differences were hard to discern and it's hard to ignore the outside noise. It becomes discouraging to see the value in these phones in such an environment. Which, sure, is not the ideal place but for many of us it's the only place.

It's fine for the closed-back ones and IEMs (love my new Campfire Vega even more and more with each day, just continues to amaze me), but the other ones will suffer.

It may be costly, but perhaps each vendor can have cheap cubicle-type booths to help with the noise, or maybe instead rent out the large area for the closed-back phones and IEMs only, then have all the open back stuff in separate rooms. May cost more but may end up in more sales.

EDIT: That being said, I would be 100% in for another CanJam in NYC next year! I also now know to use my same source for each headphone that I want to try, and use just one headphone for each source I want to try, otherwise it will be impossible for someone like me to know if how great a setup sounds is more because of the headphone or the source. And then I might be able to tell when it's due to specific pairings.

Feb 8, 2017 at 3:44 PM Post #204 of 323
  Great event,I expected no less from the organizers Job Well Done.

I had a mission  To talk to Vendors about attending the NY regional spring meet June 10th 2017 (link in my signature) & got a lot of interest.
I also Had my measurements done for the A16 which I ordered through the Kickstarter program.

Got to Hear The  Senn He1, Shangrli. & a bunch of others ,but mostly socialized with members.
 The one setup that surprised me was the Sony Zr1 system The system synergy was really Great.

I also wanted to hear the Chord Dave with all the hype around it,listened to it with Focal elear & was kind of disappointed

Tom I am listening now with the Dave and Elear. Look for my review in March on the Elear with the DAVE. It is excellent and the member who heard that combo in Philly meet also responded well to that combo.

Feb 8, 2017 at 3:44 PM Post #205 of 323
  All joking aside I do think that the noise is a very large issue at CanJam. Especially for newcomers to the industry such as myself, any attempt to try an open-back headphone will not do any one of them justice. I'd actually never heard an open-back headphone at all, and perhaps explicitly due to the noise levels, I fail to see all the praise heaped upon open-backs vs closed-backs.

This is especially important when demoing the pricier units such as the Z1R and the Utopia, as well as the Ethers which I had been wanting to demo for so long. They sounded great but differences were hard to discern and it's hard to ignore the outside noise. It becomes discouraging to see the value in these phones in such an environment. Which, sure, is not the ideal place but for many of us it's the only place.

It's fine for the closed-back ones and IEMs (love my new Campfire Vega even more and more with each day, just continues to amaze me), but the other ones will suffer.

It may be costly, but perhaps each vendor can have cheap cubicle-type booths to help with the noise, or maybe instead rent out the large area for the closed-back phones and IEMs only, then have all the open back stuff in separate rooms. May cost more but may end up in more sales.

EDIT: That being said, I would be 100% in for another CanJam in NYC next year! I also now know to use my same source for each headphone that I want to try, and use just one headphone for each source I want to try, otherwise it will be impossible for someone like me to know if how great a setup sounds is more because of the headphone or the source. And then I might be able to tell when it's due to specific pairings.

So would you recommend newcomers to arrive first thing in the morning, sample the products you are most interested in and socialize/sample other through the rest of the day?

Feb 8, 2017 at 4:32 PM Post #206 of 323

Tom I am listening now with the Dave and Elear. Look for my review in March on the Elear with the DAVE. It is excellent and the member who heard that combo in Philly meet also responded well to that combo.

I'm at least one of the folks who got to hear Frank's set up in Philly. Also not the quietest place to listen, but it sounded REALLY SWEET!

Feb 8, 2017 at 4:43 PM Post #207 of 323
  So would you recommend newcomers to arrive first thing in the morning, sample the products you are most interested in and socialize/sample other through the rest of the day?

Well as for the best time to arrive I may not be the best to answer, I heard Sunday morning was the quietest time. But for me, I:

A. Was afraid the headphones I wanted would be sold out by then, and they were indeed sold out shortly after I bought them, but of course you can order them online but I am both impatient and wanted to take advantage of show sales if there were any, and

B. I was limited by my schedule regardless, so I could only attend on Saturday after 1:00pm and not at all on Sunday.

I went straight for the Campfire booth since I was really interested in the Vega most of all, then tried other comparable and other top of the line IEMs just to be sure the Vega was my final choice, and indeed it was. My current needs dictate that I need an IEM instead of full-size headphones at the moment because of my commute, but after I bought the Vega I just went to try other headphones I had been interested in and/or heard about.

So short answer, I went straight for what I wanted then tried everything else I might be interested in later on, so that it wouldn't get sold out and I could get show pricing if any. Didn't get much time to socialize this time, unfortunately.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back