CanJam Music Appreciation Contest
Apr 3, 2015 at 2:24 AM Post #138 of 295
  You have totally awsome taste is electronic music, man!! Seems you mostly like synth-pop & minimal house styles. You just turned me onto a new group I really like. Haim. I just heard of them but it looks like they've been around a few years. Some other pretty good similar sounding synth-pop with female vocals is Chvrches. .. Blood Orange sounds good too and most of your trax seem mastered quite well.

Thanks for the kind words :wink:

It seems like there are so many new genres these days, but synth-pop and minimal house definitely describe my tastes real well. I absolutely LOVE Chvrches. I was going to include them and a handful of other groups, but I didn't want to go overboard, hehe. Jon Hopkins – We Disappear (ft. Lulu James) sounds impeccable on a nice system... the sub-bass is addicting. I usually play it at least every other day in my car, lol. Just ordered the Philips X2 and Oppo PM-3, and I can't wait to listen to them.

A few more, just because :p

Todd Terje - Johnny and Mary

Danger Mouse & Sparklehorse - Revenge

Future Islands - A Song For Our Grandfathers

Bat for Lashes - Lillies

Hundred Waters - Murmors

Pnau - Embrace

Broken Bells - Holding On for Life

Chromeo - Old 45's (real cheesy video, but I can't get enough of this song lol. Haim makes a guest appearance)

Apparat - Goodbye

Royksopp - Running to the Sea

Depeche Mode - Wrong

Apr 3, 2015 at 2:53 AM Post #140 of 295
Breath of life - Florence and the Machine.
Suicide Mission Theme - Mass Effect 2 OST.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - The Sword of Destiny E3 2014 Trailer

Elder Scrolls V Skyrim: Official Gameplay Trailer

As you might have guessed, I like gaming :D.

Come to think about it, Id actually pay money to listen to these songs with the HE-1000 :D.

Apr 3, 2015 at 2:54 AM Post #141 of 295
Angie - Rolling Stones
Get Lucky - Daft Punk
Peaches & Cream - John Butler Trio
Back on the Road Again - REO Speedwagon
Slash Feat. Andrew Stockdale -  By The Sword
Riders on the Storm - The Doors

Apr 3, 2015 at 3:00 AM Post #142 of 295
I would love to hear Bill Evans "waltz for Debbie", Bon iver "for Emma, forever ago", Miles Davis "58 sessions", Primus "sailing the seas of cheese". I want to put these cans throught the phases!

Apr 3, 2015 at 3:25 AM Post #144 of 295
There are few tracks I test out every equipment of mine with. Here is 5 of the 15 I generally use.

1. Diana Krall - Song: Boulevard of Broken Dreams - Album: All for you
Vocals are prime important to me and this song showcases that brilliantly. Also the interplay of Piano and Guitar is just awe inducing. I fell in love with my LE-5 listening to this and tearing up in the magic of music.

2. Pink Martini - Song: La Soledad - Album: Sympathique
The sheer beauty of the song and the voice makes this one a must listen. If the first two songs do not make me feel, then that is it, I do not buy that headphone.

3. Dire Straits - Song: Sultans of Swing - Album: The very best of Dire Straits
After hearing Hotel California for probably the millionth time to test equipment, I couldn't take it anymore. So this replaced Hotel California to test the strings. Fun song

4. Safri Duo - Song: Played Alive - Album: Played Alive Single
To test out percussions and the dynamics of the system

5. Koop - Song: Koop Island Blues - Album: Koop Islands
Another of my favorite songs to listen to and try on any new system

Apr 3, 2015 at 5:19 AM Post #147 of 295
I would name full albums, but I would imagine there won't be room, so I'll try to stick to songs (because picking albums isn't hard enough right?).  I'm terrible at picking favorites, so I'm just going to put down a lot.  Anyways, here goes.

John Frusciante - Former Red Hot Chili Peppers guitarist.  Mostly rock and experimental music.  Songs I recommend: Unreachable, Central, A Doubt, The World's Edge, Look On, Dissolve, Ratiug.

Fugazi - Pioneers of post-hardcore band.  Solid all-around, ending with The Argument, one of my personal favorite records (I often use "Cash Out" from it as a reference.  Songs: Cash Out, Sieve-Fisted Find, Shut the Door, Strangelight, KYEO

Pavement - Well-known indie rock band from the 90's.  Some music credits have gone as far as to say the best band of the 90's.  Songs: Father to a Sister of Thought, Grounded, Gold Soundz, Range Life

Stephen Malkmus & the Jicks - Stephen Malkmus of Pavement's current project.  Songs: Cold Son, Stick Figures in Love, Houston Hades

Sonic Youth - Well-known alternative rock band.  Songs: Teenage Riot, Mote, Kool Thing, Bull in the Heather

Pixies - Can you tell I like alternative/indie/punk rock?  Songs: Gigantic, Where is my Mind, Debaser, Is She Weird?, Velouria

The Breeders - Alternative rock band fronted by Kim Deal of the Pixies and her sister.  Most known for Cannonball.  Songs: No Aloha, Drivin' on 9, Divine Hammer, Cannonball

Nirvana - I always find Nevermind at audio shows, which is their most sucessful album, but it's also my least favorite (same goes for many friends of mine who are Nirvana friends), not that it's a bad album or anything.  Songs: Heart-Shaped Box, Dumb, All Apologies, About a Girl, Smells Like Teen Spirit (because everyone knows it)

The Replacements - Started as a hardcore punk band, and gradually shifted into one of the pioneers of alternative rock.  Songs: I Will Dare, Unsatisfied, Here Comes a Regular, Swingin' Party, Hold My Life, Bastards of Young, Alex Chilton, The Ledge

Wilco - Well-known alternative rock/country band.  Songs: At Least That's What You Said, Impossible Germany (one of my favorite guitar solos), Dawned on Me, Ashes of American Flags, Jesus Etc.

My Bloody Valentine - Pioneers of shoegaze.  Songs: Only Shallow, When You Sleep, I Only Said

Blonde Redhead - One of my favorite indie rock bands.  Songs: Elephant Woman, Misery is a Butterfly, Falling Man, Maddening Cloud, Melody of Certain Three, This is Not, SW, Bipolar

Radiohead - Everyone knows Radiohead.  What more needs to be said?  Songs: Fake Plastic Trees, My Iron Lung, Pyramid Song, You and Whose Army?, Paranoid Android, The National Anthem

Belle & Sebastian - Great indie pop band (though I found their last record boring).  Songs: The State I Am In, I Want the World to Stop, Asleep on a Sunbeam, Roy Walker, Stay Loose, We Are the Sleepyheads, I'm A Cucuo, Funny Little Frog

David Bowie - David Bowie = God.  It's that simple.  Songs: Modern Love, China Girl, Young Americans, Space Oddity, Five Years, Sould Love, Moonage Daydream, Starman, It Ain't Easy

Neil Young - No introduction necessary.  Songs: Hey Hey, Heart of Gold, After the Goldrush, Old Man, Helpless

Joni Mitchell - Another no introduction necessary.  Songs: All of Blue.  I can't pick from that album, the whole thing is perfect.  Coyote off of Heijira would be nice as well.

Deerhunter - Newer shoegaze band.  Songs: Desire Lines, Helicopter, He Would Have Lauged

St. Vincent - Art rock artist.  Probably my favorite guitarist of recent years.  All of her albums have been excellent.  Songs: Now. Now., Marry Me, Marrow, Cruel, Surgeon, Strange Mercy, Dilettante, Digital Witness, Birth in Reverse

Jeff Buckley - Alternative artist known mostly for his cover of Hallejujah.  Songs: Mojo Pin, Grace, Last Goodbye, Hallejujah, Lover You Should've Come Over, Dream Brother

Portishead - Pioneers of trip-hop, with heavy jazz influence.  Their live album Roseland NYC is one of my favorite live albums (I must've watched the DVD 50 times already).  Songs: Mysterions (live version from Roseland NYC), Glory Box (live version from Roseland NYC), Roads (live version from Roseland NYC), Strangers (live version from Roseland NYC), It Could Be Sweet, Wandering Star, Undenied, Only You, Western Eyes, The Rip, Small, Magic Doors, Threads

Broadcast - Really good indie electronic band whose singer died way too young of pneumonia.  Songs: Come on Let's Go, Pendulum, Black Cat

The Velvet Underground - No introduction necessary.  Songs: Sister Ray, Candy Says, I'm Waiting for the Man, Sweet Jane, Pale Blue Eyes, Rock and Roll

Kraftwerk - One of the earliest electronic acts.  Songs: The Robots

Dinosaur Jr. - Indie rock band with one of the best guitarists in the genre.  Songs: Feel the Pain, Watch the Corners, Start Choppin', Over It

Björk -  I don't even know what genre she is, but she's got all sorts of stuff.  Songs: Hyperballad, Jóga, Army of Me, Enjoy, Pagan Poetry, Hunter, Hidden Place, It's Not Up to You

Sleater-Kinney - One of the best bands to come out of the riot grrrl feminist punk movement.  Man am I glad they're back, after a decade, and their new album is great.  Songs: Dig Me Out, The Drama You've Been Craving, Start Together, Far Away, The Remainder, Light Rail Coyote, Sympathy, Jumpers, Entertain, No Cities to Love, No Anthems.

Outkast - No introduction necessary.  Songs: ATLiens, B.O.B., So Fresh, So Clean, Ms. Jackson, The Way You Move, Roses

A Tribe Called Quest - Jazz rap group.  Songs: Excursions, Verses from the Abstract

Killer Mike - Southern rapper, and a member of Run the Jewels.  Songs: Untitled, Reagan

Run The Jewels - Excellent hip-hop duo.  Songs: Get It, Oh My Darling Don't Cry, All My Life

Kanye West - No introduction necessary.  Songs: Bound 2, All Falls Down, Homecoming, All of the Lights, Slow Jamz

Kendrick Lamar - Possibly the best rapper in the game right now.  Last two albums have been insanely good.  Songs: m.A.A.d city, Compton, Wesley's Theory, King Kunta

Alright...that's it.  This has taken long enough.  I obviously would only expect a tiny fraction of this to be considered, but to anyone that actually reads through this, thanks!

Apr 3, 2015 at 5:43 AM Post #148 of 295
Here's a sorta diverse list of 10 of some of my favorite, well produced music I like. 

N) Artist - Song (album)

1) Love Is Blindness - Cassandra Wilson (New Moon Daughter) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7gomtA7c0A

2) Meu Fado Meu - Mariza (Trasnparente) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oP2xmmqgIqQ

3) Children of the Sun - Dead Can Dance (Anastasis) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VUJHXZ94VM

4) Disappear Here - Hybrid (Disappear Here) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4PX4SnTKXI

5) Midnight in a Perfect World - DJ Shadow (Endtroducing) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InFbBlpDTfQ

6) Even Deeper - Nine Inch Nails  (The Fragile) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hj6UNM8WANU

7) What the Future Hold - S.P.Y. / Ian Shaw (What the Future Holds) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1VV03tFd7g

8) In Binary - Lamb (Backspace Unwind) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mp7m5-e42RE

9) Relocate (Psychemagik Remix) - Kauf (As Much Again) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MuKqJuXYSCo

10) Normal - Porcupine Tree (Nil Recurring) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcpUO8K_rek

Apr 3, 2015 at 5:44 AM Post #149 of 295
After years of deciding which test tracks to use. I now have that tell me all I need to know about any equipment. All on LP

Muddy Waters - Folk Singer - Mobile Fidelity.
Best recorded vocal ever, Muddy should be in the room with you.

Dave Brubeck - Time Out - Classic Records 45rpm
The drum solo should take on a roller coaster, occasionally scare you and the cymbals should sound like angels.

The Doors- LA Woman - DCC
On Riders On the Storm, Jims doubled tracked whispers should really stand out, Rays keyboard should be sexy, but a bit dirty, a bit like that girl at number 42

Apr 3, 2015 at 6:47 AM Post #150 of 295
Apart from contest purpose, this thread has became a cool repository for good music! KUDOS HEAD-FI!!!!

My songs would be-

X-JAPAN- ART OF LIFE-  for the bass performance of the cans, as the cans are meant to be legendary in bass
LORDE- GLORY AND GORE- for the bass performance of the cans

ED SHEERAN- ONE (acoustic)- as its a acoustic version, i can appreciate the vocals and guitar strings, which i absolutely love

IVAN TORRENT- ICARUS- It's an orchestral composition, so the instrument imaging can be appreciated.

I know I am a new age pop guy, but i sure believe there is talent in new generation too!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back