CanJam London 2022 Impressions Thread (July 30-31, 2022)
Aug 5, 2022 at 6:44 AM Post #256 of 348
I am most interested in two tube amps from an English store that were shown. Since i got sick on Sunday, i couldn't listen to them. They were both clad in chrome and one was called "Blue Hawaii" or some such thing. 🙏😅

In case anyone knows what I'm talking about, please give me your impressions.
Headamps Blue Hawaii Special Edition electrostatic amp?

https://www.headamp.com/products/blue-hawaii-se

Aug 5, 2022 at 7:08 AM Post #258 of 348
Aug 5, 2022 at 7:21 AM Post #259 of 348
Yes!!!!! Thank you 🤟😊

How is it???
Never heard it, reviews list it constantly among the very best commrcially available estat amplifiers.

So I guess it's certainly a top performer.
I even read that someone preferred his Shangri La Sr. On the BHSE over the Shangri La Sr amp.

Aug 5, 2022 at 7:44 AM Post #260 of 348
Never heard it, reviews list it constantly among the very best commrcially available estat amplifiers.

So I guess it's certainly a top performer.
I even read that someone preferred his Shangri La Sr. On the BHSE over the Shangri La Sr amp.
Ohhh interesting 🧐

I liked it enough to buy that very unit you looked at, it's currently at home and will be set up over the weekend. You will see more in my impressions post here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/canjam-london-2022-impressions-thread.964309/page-14#post-17076543, but basically that's the best e-stat amp I've heard at the show when it comes to being paired with a variety of different headphones I tried on too.
Wow. Please share more impressions once you listen.🙏

Aug 5, 2022 at 7:47 AM Post #261 of 348
I liked it enough to buy that very unit you looked at, it's currently at home and will be set up over the weekend. You will see more in my impressions post here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/canjam-london-2022-impressions-thread.964309/page-14#post-17076543, but basically that's the best e-stat amp I've heard at the show when it comes to being paired with a variety of different headphones I tried on too.
You bought on impulse, a $7K amp at the show, to pair with your various headphones??
By powers invested in me I afford you Lord Elon !
Any scraps you could throw my way, ma' Lord? :smile:

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2022 at 9:34 AM Post #262 of 348
You bought on impulse, a $7K amp at the show, to pair with your various headphones??
By powers invested in me I afford you Lord Elon !
Any scraps you could throw my way, ma' Lord? :smile:
Actualy it's even more hilarious. It's the 8k version (admittedly I got it for a great deal) and I had never even heard any e-stat headphones until the weekend of the show, let alone having any to pair the BHSE with :D

But I took home the Shangri-La Sr (review loaner) along with the BHSE and have the Audeze CRBN on the way too. It was one of my goals for CanJam and I am really happy it worked out.

Aug 5, 2022 at 9:35 AM Post #263 of 348
Actualy it's even more hilarious. It's the 8k version (admittedly I got it for a great deal) and I had never even heard any e-stat headphones until the weekend of the show, let alone having any to pair the BHSE with :D

But I took home the Shangri-La Sr (review loaner) along with the BHSE and have the Audeze CRBN on the way too. It was one of my goals for CanJam and I am really happy it worked out.
Best head-fi title ever!

Aug 5, 2022 at 11:01 AM Post #264 of 348
Wow, what a great show! That was my first ever Jam and I have to say it was an exceptionally constructive use of my time given how few really good sets (I am strictly an IEM person) I've heard!

Big thanks to the organisers, exhibitors and attendees, everyone I interacted with was exceptionally chilled and friendly - didn't seem to be any focus on sales at all, just enthusiasm for sharing impressions - and not once did I feel under pressure to move on to another stand.

My biggest takeaway: 2 days are needed if you want to take it all in, I managed to fit about a dozen iems into 4 hours with one break for coffee.

Second biggest takeaway: you really need to apply some method to that many rapid comparisons, and mine was probably a bit lacking - only brought one source and one set of tips (in an attempt to be consistent), and couldn't really volume match (ended up listening to everything pretty loudly as that seemed to be the only way of levelling the playing field). I did take notes!

My hot take, with the disclaimer that I'm an unrepentant bass head that listens to dance music almost exclusively (the instrumental, orchestral kind, vocals aren't a big feature but have to be tonally pleasant when they do appear). Imaging, separation and dynamics are all dog whistles for me.

Tier 1:

64 Audio u12t (M20 module) for the subbass extension/precision (new level for me) and seriously vivid and separated upper mids and treble. Very aggressive tuning but in a good way. Put myself down for a discounted pair and will see if I still feel as strongly about them in a week or so when they follow up. Very good match to my library.

Elysian X: a bit more balanced than u12t and hyper detailed across the range as a result. Similarly aggressive tuning and nearly as dynamic/layered - pretty much unobtainable now as I understand it but glad I got the chance to experience them.

Both of these got multi track deep dives, and really made me buzz.

Tier 2:

Sony z1r: I brought this with me - a more relaxed midrange tuning than the above with really good bass texture slighty weighted towards midbass, layers similarly but doesn't provide the sheer level of detail the Tier 1s do. If discretion proves the better part of valour I will continue to love these as a "1 and done" TOTL.

Campfire Audio Supermoon: These were great - spacious, airy, noticeably smoother on the attack than anything else I heard; super lush, slightly stepped back mids that manage to preserve a lot of detail - imaging is great, very evenly weighted across the stereo field, great sense of dimension to them at the expense of some dynamics (more so than z1rs, which are also good in that respect). Would love to see these released as a universal so I can pick up a used set at some stage. They are not quite bassy enough to be a main set for me but if I listened to more classical I would be very happy with something like this tuning.

64 Audio Nio (M15 module): Dark, warm and rumbly. The bass head in me really got off on these - if you want a set that makes you feel like you're standing in front of a soundsystem these should definitely be a contender. They sound a bit congested/dense, and image as a flat wall, but very exhilarating. Another one I would like to pick up used - for Dub sessions.

Tier 2/3 (kind of a copout, stuff I really enjoyed but can't justify collecting)

Symphonium Helios:
This is probably Tier 3 but reminds me of the u12t enough to bump it up with bias scoring (price is a factor as well). Doesn't image / immerse quite as well as the others in T2 but still sounded pretty special (upper mid / lower treble energy was a tiny bit more uneven / unrefined). Insanely long nozzles, my single tip strategy failed here somewhat as they ended up floating in space several mm from my ears!

Elysian Diva:
Very slightly too biased towards upper mids and lower treble for my tastes but impressive all rounder with excellent details. Needed a power boost to get to test volumes.

Symphonium Triton: Nios with a shade less energy and slightly more coherent but less extended bass. I'm underselling them a bit - from a VFM perspective these were #1 out of what I listened to. Huge nozzle like the Helios.

Effect Audio Gaia (Collab with Elysian): prototype tuning with slightly boomy midbass and overly aggressive/gritty upper mids for my ears. If they can tone down those aspects it's more of a fit for my tastes than Diva and will match it for detail at a slightly lower price.

Tier 3 (everything else - had high hopes for some of these, but ended up a bit underwhelmed):

64 Audio Trio: listened to these straight after u12t and only gave them a couple of minutes. No idea why they sounded so flat - I'm sure others have had a totally different experience but the sub bass and general sense of energy were notable by their absence, and I stopped caring about the rest shortly thereafter.

Subtonic Storm: Probably Tier 2 but at those prices I was expecting fireworks and I didn't get them. Tries to go where the Elysian X does but can't quite get there, and was twice as hard to drive as anything else I heard. This is harsh and leaves out all the things it gets right but it should be a lot cheaper than it is. Possibly the curse of the start up trying to recover R&D.

Campfire Andromeda: Only thing I have against this is it doesn't work with my library, and my source was too high impedance so I wasn't getting quite the intended tuning. Tier 2 detail/imaging/immersion but missing too much low end extension to work with my tunes.

Campfire Trifecta: I am clearly not the intended market for this set - probably superb with some styles of music but not the ones I listen to - very full, textured bass with absolutely no slam at all - this might have been another source impedance/matching issue.

Effect Audio Axiom: wispy treble, recessed, thin mids (really not to my taste but may have some synergy with something out there). I didn't intend to listen to these, just wandered over to fondle their cables :wink:

Speaking of which, the Liquid Links Venom was the clear winner from a purely aesthetic/build quality perspective.

Looking forward to next year's show already!
Used set of legend x for the price of a new Nio will do the job :wink:.
I was about to get a U12t set and ended up with Verite closed haha. In the end, with the Andromeda Gold's, you've got to be married to the idea of an all BA set up and be willing to just sell off the rest of your collection otherwise the delta isn't enough to justify the additional unit; it's like having 80% cacao chocolate and 60% dark... try blind taste testing that without a pallet cleanser.

Aug 5, 2022 at 3:19 PM Post #265 of 348
Used set of legend x for the price of a new Nio will do the job :wink:.
I was about to get a U12t set and ended up with Verite closed haha. In the end, with the Andromeda Gold's, you've got to be married to the idea of an all BA set up and be willing to just sell off the rest of your collection otherwise the delta isn't enough to justify the additional unit; it's like having 80% cacao chocolate and 60% dark... try blind taste testing that without a pallet cleanser.
Just ordered the u12t :sunglasses:

See you all in next year's thread!

Aug 5, 2022 at 3:37 PM Post #266 of 348
Just some pictures from CanJam London...

1659727949973.png

1659727963483.png

1659727974513.png

1659727984481.png

1659727994745.png

1659728005118.png

1659728017631.png

1659728026607.png

1659728051354.png

But the real highlight for me was having a spontaneous dinner with exhibitors and visitors alike:

1659728147219.png

Thats the guys from Eletech, Effect Audio, Vision Ears, Wiking Weave Cables and a couple of fellow Head-Fiers. It was an unforgettable evening and I want to thank each and every one of you for your company. 😊👍

Aug 5, 2022 at 5:17 PM Post #267 of 348
Are you here? I wouldn't mind saying hi, I'm currently at the Rupert Neve stand and I'm about to go try the mems microspeaker

stand
Mate, I am so sorry I missed this. I was completely in the zone on Sunday so did not see this until I was on my way home.

In typical fashion, work issues started taking over my life from Sunday evening so I have not even been able to get back on Head-Fi until now as it has been a hellish week.

I hope you enjoyed yourself though?

Aug 5, 2022 at 6:34 PM Post #269 of 348
Just ordered the u12t :sunglasses:

See you all in next year's thread!
Heck yeah! All you need is the M20 and Mx modules and you've got two for 1! (The M15 is the goldilocks one but where's the fun *ahem* bass?)

Just some pictures from CanJam London...

But the real highlight for me was having a spontaneous dinner with exhibitors and visitors alike:

Thats the guys from Eletech, Effect Audio, Vision Ears, Wiking Weave Cables and a couple of fellow Head-Fiers. It was an unforgettable evening and I want to thank each and every one of you for your company. 😊👍
Did you manage to photograph convincemeaudio at the 64 Audio booth? Haha

Aug 5, 2022 at 10:01 PM Post #270 of 348
I listened on my own headphones. I wasn’t blown away like I was with the Dave/MScaler. Maybe I need better headphones (than my HD800S), but couldn’t find something that made me think it worth £18000 more than my current stack.
I was surprised that the clock changed the sound so much though. I wasn’t sure it would do anything.
I don't think you'll find better headphones than the HD800S, seriously - at least if classical is your interest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back