CanJam London 2019 Impressions thread
Jul 27, 2019 at 3:55 PM Post #46 of 277
According to FiiO Dual DAC AK4497 (I Think) + Built in THX AAA AMP

Hmm and what happens when it has a thx aaa amp ???

Does it sound better then dx220max or wm1z?

Jul 27, 2019 at 3:57 PM Post #47 of 277
Good show, Was a bit disappointed Astell&Kern diffident turn up, was looking forward to trying the cube. My big takeaways, I want a pair of Focal Stellia's. they pair so well with the DX220. Also loved the 64 Audio tia Fourte. So much I want and so little money :).

Couldn't get near the CA stand or the FIIO stand. But all in all a good day.

I purposely didn’t listen to the tia Fourte as I didn’t want to love them. But I’m probably going to go back tomorrow and get either the a6t or N8. So tried to not like anything today for my wallets sake!

Jul 27, 2019 at 4:02 PM Post #48 of 277
Good show, Was a bit disappointed Astell&Kern diffident turn up, was looking forward to trying the cube. My big takeaways, I want a pair of Focal Stellia's. they pair so well with the DX220. Also loved the 64 Audio tia Fourte. So much I want and so little money :).

Couldn't get near the CA stand or the FIIO stand. But all in all a good day.
I took the opportunity to listen to the Atlas and Equinox at CA given I haven't listened to their DD IEMs, and the stand was always busy whilst I was there lol

Jul 27, 2019 at 4:24 PM Post #49 of 277
I took the opportunity to listen to the Atlas and Equinox at CA given I haven't listened to their DD IEMs, and the stand was always busy whilst I was there lol

Been really tempted by the equinox due to it's form factor, however the plummeting pound really hasn't helped it's price :frowning2:

Jul 27, 2019 at 4:32 PM Post #50 of 277
Been really tempted by the equinox due to it's form factor, however the plummeting pound really hasn't helped it's price :frowning2:
I found that it sounded better than the Atlas, strong bass as you'd expect from a DD but with the rest not being ruined in the process. If you wanted a CA DD this would be the one pick in my opinion

Exchange rate definitely doesn't help, although I imagine it'll work out to be equivalent to if you had purchased it locally as I did with my Solaris :dizzy_face: (which were more expensive than directly importing from CA)

Jul 27, 2019 at 4:39 PM Post #51 of 277
I did ask Chord but was told they are not allowed to talk about future products.

they can talk about the next Dave because it's not started yet, however there is definitely something happening Mojo wise
@davidcotton it was busy ish, about as busy as normal. There are NO signs for it outside the hotel, which given than a zillion tourists
a minute walk past it, is crazy, but a reasonable turn out given the time of year.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2019 at 4:42 PM Post #53 of 277
I'm astonished at the gradual shift in the hobby in recent years towards transportable gear. Where are all the full size desktop fanboys around London? There's certainly no shortage of full size cans and rigs at your disposal there, even breakthrough technology - I heartily recommend any the IEM-only hobbyists to give some of them a try and you may discover something new...

Jul 27, 2019 at 4:46 PM Post #54 of 277
I'm astonished at the gradual shift in the hobby in recent years towards transportable gear. Where are all the full size desktop fanboys around London? There's certainly no shortage of full size cans and rigs at your disposal there, even breakthrough technology - I heartily recommend any the IEM-only hobbyists to give some of them a try and you may discover something new...
I think part of the answer is that historically desktop users, now want the same performance when they are in transportable mode.
Only by challenging manufacturers, will they ensure that gear evolves to meet their needs.

Jul 27, 2019 at 4:53 PM Post #55 of 277
I listened to a variety of things but I think the only new/recent items I tried were:

• Fiio btr5 and Shanling UP2
    I have a Fiio btr3, and I was really interested in how each of these compared to the btr3 when driving my target earphones, Etymotic ER4-SR. My experience is that Etymotics generally, and ER4-SR certainly, require a reasonably decent amp section to deliver the sound I expect. So here's my comparison:
    • Fiio btr3 (that I already have): just not up to the job of driving ER4-SR properly.

• Shanling UP2: a very significant improvement in driving power, and the ER4-SR sounds a lot better on it than it did on the btr3. It's still not at the level I want, but I'm ordering a UP2 anyway, for separate uses. It's a really nice little device too: small, simple, and the wheel does it all so there's no button layout to memorise. Nicely done! My only complaint is that the long press to power it on and off seems excessively long to me. But that's not the end of the world, and if enough of us ask nicely enough maybe we can get it shortened in a firmware update. Anyhow, I think this is a great product even if it's not all the way there for my personal choice of earphone.

• Fiio btr5: THIS IS IT. The Etys open up beautifully, with crisp highs and sturdy beats and good instrument separation and all the rest of it. An absolute winner. I loved it.
      Details: picture a larger (like maybe 50% wider?) btr3, with a slide-on clip case rather than a built-on clip. Button layout's just the same as the btr3.
      Availability: "next month" is the answer I got. When I asked if it was available on Chinese sites now, e.g. aliexpress, the answer again was "next month." So I guess it's next month. :) Price was quoted as 125.
  • Fiio EH3 NC noise canceling wireless over-ear headphones.
    The NC was very good. The comfort was very good. I think they too are coming next month. I neglected to ask the price, sorry.
    Sonically these were quite good for their category (IMO streets ahead of Sony), and I could easily recommend them to people whose tastes aren't as highs-influenced as mine are. For my tastes, though, the highs were too rolled off for really satisfactory listening. For example if I'm listening to acoustic guitar if the sharp attack of a string being plucked is muted and diffuse, it just doesn't sound right to me even if the body of the note itself is fine. But I really think the product is a very good offering even if it wasn't right for me.

• Focal Stellia
    Wow, wow, wow. These are proper, serious, excellent high-end headphones. For me, at least, it was easy to forget they're closed. It's not "they're excellent, for closed headphones." They're absolutely outstanding headphones that to me are absolutely competitive with top open headphones. What an accomplishment.
    I heard these at HeadAmp's booth, out of GS-X mini, with Chord Qutest. What a system.

Does the BTR5 have 2.5 or 4.4 balanced output?

Jul 27, 2019 at 4:59 PM Post #56 of 277
It’s all demographic preference. I remember earlier this year in Canjam Singapore there were more interest in IEMs as compared to full sized headphones.
I was in London for 6-7 months and I remember I used to travel in train and subways for close to 2-3 hrs every day and I would listen to music thru my IPod Touch.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2019 at 5:03 PM Post #57 of 277
I couldn’t make it as had to be out of town precisely this weekend
Hope all is going well

Does anyone know if they will be putting on sale any gear post show?
Keen to buy a new Dac/Amp for my office listening and any excuse is a great excuse...

Jul 27, 2019 at 5:04 PM Post #58 of 277
It’s all demographic preference. I remember earlier this year in Canjam Singapore there were more interest in IEMs as compared to full sized headphones.
I was in London for 6-7 months and I remember I used to travel in train and subways for close to 2-3 hrs every day and I would listen to music thru my IPod Touch.

The size of the Asian market is massive in comparison to the U.S. Its not even close % wise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back