CanJam London 2017 (July 15-16, 2017)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 30, 2017 at 3:49 PM Post #91 of 416
Week-End ticket ordered already :blush:

Apr 30, 2017 at 9:56 PM Post #93 of 416
For those that have experience with staying at hotels in or near the Park Plaza Westminster Bridge London hotel, Big Ben, Russell Square areas (all of Central London alternatively), are there any that you enjoy that are at the maximum $150/~£116 daily rate? A couple of nice hotels I've stayed at (that can be crossed off the list) are:
  • Hotel Russell (now called "The Principal London")
  • Royal National Hotel
I'll add any recommendations that I read in this thread to this post to assist others as well.

Thanks in advance for the recommendations!

Added recommendations:
  • hub by Premier London Westminster, St. James Park: Westminster, London - premierinn.com
  • Point A Hotel London, Westminster: Labeth, London - tunehotels.com

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2017 at 11:46 PM Post #94 of 416
For those that have experience with staying at hotels in or near the Park Plaza Westminster Bridge London hotel, Big Ben, Russell Square areas (all of Central London alternatively), are there any that you enjoy that are at the maximum $150/~£116 daily rate? A couple of nice hotels I've stayed at (that can be crossed off the list) are:
  • Hotel Russell (now called "The Principal London")
  • Royal National Hotel
I'll add any recommendations that I read in this thread to this post to assist others as well.

Thanks in advance for the recommendations!
Last year I stayed at the Westminster Tune Hotel, which was like 4min walk, right behind the Plaza. Very affordable for my tight budget. Was a really tiny room but super clean, with TV, wifi, a/c, power shower, staff was helpful and friendly. But the company changed hands, there are called Point A hotels now.

Was going to go there again this time around but then I found out that Hub by Premier Inn in St James/Westminster area had more spacious and quality rooms for a bit cheaper too! Cost me 300eur total for 3 nights (Friday->Sunday). But it is 10min walk from the Wesminster bridge and the Park Plaza. The plus side is that it's right next to the new Scotland Yard, so it has to be super safe location right ? :)

https://www.google.be/maps/place/hu...3af4f0285dd9232d!8m2!3d51.4989791!4d-0.132582

May 1, 2017 at 4:32 AM Post #95 of 416
Last year I stayed at the Westminster Tune Hotel, which was like 4min walk, right behind the Plaza. Very affordable for my tight budget. Was a really tiny room but super clean, with TV, wifi, a/c, power shower, staff was helpful and friendly. But the company changed hands, there are called Point A hotels now.

Was going to go there again this time around but then I found out that Hub by Premier Inn in St James/Westminster area had more spacious and quality rooms for a bit cheaper too! Cost me 300eur total for 3 nights (Friday->Sunday). But it is 10min walk from the Wesminster bridge and the Park Plaza. The plus side is that it's right next to the new Scotland Yard, so it has to be super safe location right ? :)

https://www.google.be/maps/place/hu...3af4f0285dd9232d!8m2!3d51.4989791!4d-0.132582
Thanks for the recommendations, my friend!

Checked them both out, and as long as I have a window, (the hub by Premier's reviews said some units didn't have windows), I would be good to go.

The walk isn't a concern since the Hub is much closer to Park Plaza than the Hotel Russell area - also, I'll probably be scooting around in my Swagtron so long walks should be a thing of the past for me in the U.K. now.

As for safe locations - I feel the areas in London are far, far more safe than some areas in Southern California and some places in the United States - never felt unsafe in London, so no worries in my personal regard. Hopefully I will get through customs without any issues this year - I applied for Global Entry (would have liked Registered Traveller instead [would have to travel to the U.K. at least four times every two years to qualify])...so I shall see how things go this trip.

Looking forward to seeing you there!

May 1, 2017 at 4:41 AM Post #96 of 416
I also stayed at the Tune Hotel Westminster when I visited London last summer. Very short walking distance to the river, clean rooms and affordable.

May 1, 2017 at 5:22 AM Post #97 of 416
May 1, 2017 at 5:48 AM Post #98 of 416
I also stayed at the Tune Hotel Westminster when I visited London last summer. Very short walking distance to the river, clean rooms and affordable.
Thanks for the recommendation of Point A Hotel London (new/current name of Tune Hotel Westminster)!

May 1, 2017 at 10:40 AM Post #99 of 416
Mo, so glad your awful Customs experience hasn't put you off, my friend. (I won't mention I worked in C&E for twenty years! IT side though, nowhere near Customs Entry side of things).

May 1, 2017 at 9:46 PM Post #101 of 416
Mo, so glad your awful Customs experience hasn't put you off, my friend. (I won't mention I worked in C&E for twenty years! IT side though, nowhere near Customs Entry side of things).

You worked in IT, so it's all good, haha! I've worked in IT for quite a while as well, so I'm sure we have a lot in common with many intricacies of the job (and have funny/crazy stories also)!

I'm staying positive that detainment (and other fun stuff like multiple picture-taking, fingerprinting, holding cell, interrogation), won't happen ever again in the U.K. :fingers_crossed::pray: (imagine brown-colored emoticons, hehe).

Hope to hang out with you again at CanJam (and play at Bounce as well)!

May 2, 2017 at 3:41 AM Post #102 of 416
Cannot Reply or 'Like' even on desktop site, using Edge, sure it be sorted soon.

Moe, when you know what night Bounce will be (know you do Karting as well one evening), let me know and I'll try to stay over. Bests, Andrew.

May 2, 2017 at 3:52 PM Post #103 of 416
Cannot Reply or 'Like' even on desktop site, using Edge, sure it be sorted soon.

Moe, when you know what night Bounce will be (know you do Karting as well one evening), let me know and I'll try to stay over. Bests, Andrew.

I can't do much on the mobile site on my iPhone, and I can't post with my favorite browser, Dolphin, via mobile or desktop, so I understand completely what you are going through. I can't quote/reply, etcetera via Safari in mobile site either (cleared all settings) currently, so hopefully that will be fixed soon. Try to reply or quote on Chrome, or on another computer, should work then (while in desktop mode).

Usually the CanJam Global staff will organize an outing, then I work around that schedule. For example, if there is Karting on a Saturday night, I'll more than likely organize Bounce for Sunday night. I'll keep you and others posted on the exact day and time. Last year was super fun, had a great turnout, and playing on real Olympic table tennis tables were bucket list checkoff worthy!

See you soon! :left_facing_fist: (Imagine a brown-colored fist bump, hehe)

May 3, 2017 at 12:20 PM Post #104 of 416
where do i get the awesome 2017 badge/medal

Got you sorted out!

So excited, will be coming for both days this time. Will there be another scavenger hunt like last time? :ksc75smile:

We won't be doing the Scavenger Hunt like last time, instead Exhibitors will each be running their own Show Specials and Promotions. We'll provide a handout at the Registration Desk with this info and will also update this thread as we get closer to the event dates.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back