CanJam Chicago 2022 Impressions Thread (June 18-19, 2022)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 21, 2022 at 6:08 PM Post #227 of 390
You can look at the graphs I don’t think it’s missing any.
Graphs can be misleading for numerous reasons - why don’t you find a copy and take a listen? I didn’t find lower mid when I tried them with different amps and sources perhaps you can.

Jun 21, 2022 at 6:11 PM Post #228 of 390
I recently have been doing recordings of a small orchestra using AEA ribbon mics, Focusrite ADC with Hugo 2 and Stealth as monitoring.

Although the digital OP via H2 and Stealth certainly was not the same as the live direct sound, the frequency aspect was actually warmer compared to live, with more lower mid and bass. Listening to the tracks at home, loudspeakers (which I tended to think as neutral with HP too bright) add a tremendous amount of false bloom and soft bass. The experience certainly has confirmed to me that headphones in frequency response terms are way more accurate than loudspeakers; and that DCA Stealth is a remarkable transducer.

One must temper any SQ impressions with some humility as we have no idea of the provenance of recordings, and no idea as to the real performance of the gear that we listen too - "neutral" in a context of a product category is often simply an average of SQ impressions from all the products of that type that you have listened too.
Great observation.

Seems like our reference points are shaped by whats we are used to. I thing that if I attended a concert and then listens to it’s recording on my headphones the next day, I will likely not remember how it sounded exactly that prior day, as much as I’ll remember how my headphones “ought to sound”… the psychology of audio is fascinating.

Jun 21, 2022 at 6:30 PM Post #230 of 390
Jun 21, 2022 at 6:33 PM Post #231 of 390
Okay. We don’t hear the same way in that case.
But you said it was as if it were a fact. The graphs, other people, and my ears don’t hear “missing frequencies”. Your ears do off your limiting demo of them. It would seem not to confidently declare something Is missing when nothing else indicates it is missing. I don’t hear above 15khz, but I’m not going to declare the headphones don’t produce those frequencies because they do.

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2022 at 6:39 PM Post #232 of 390
For the price point it doesn't look anything special and the build quality is nothing to write home about and also uses two ESS 9018K2M dac-chips but this thing sounds seriously impressive.

Extremely smooth and rich sounding with absolutely no hint of fatigue at all. This is hands down the most analogue sounding DAC I have heard so far.

It doesn't have the soundstage width of the holo may or Chord DAVE or DAVE's crazy detail and excitement but makes up in richness, body, warmth and sounds extremely liquid.

Weiss have just discontinued this dac unfortunately but a new one is coming later this year apparently.
Did you ever get around to a May vs Dave comparison?

Jun 21, 2022 at 6:40 PM Post #233 of 390
But you said it was as if it were a fact. The graphs, other people, and my ears don’t bear “missing frequencies”. Your ears do off your limiting demo of them. It would seem not to confidently declare something Is missing when nothing else indicates it is missing. I don’t hear above 15khz, but I’m not going to declare the headphones don’t produce those frequencies because they do.
I am fairly confident the lower mid is missing based on the few times I heard it. I don't think any TOTL-priced cans is missing that much lower mid. Again, people have different preferences - some may prefer recessed lower mid. I will give it another shot if I get a chance to demo one again. Also, I don't listen to graphs.

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2022 at 6:47 PM Post #235 of 390
Right...it's just headphones. I prefer the hotpot discussion much more.

Jun 21, 2022 at 6:58 PM Post #236 of 390
I am fairly confident the lower mid is missing based on the few times I heard it. I don't think any TOTL-priced cans is missing that much lower mid. Again, people have different preferences - some may prefer recessed lower mid. I will give it another shot if I get a chance to demo one again. Also, I don't listen to graphs.
Making claims that are definitively false and probable. Doing it so arrogantly as well. Just say you don’t hear it the same way. They aren’t missing. You are in the minority. It’s ok to not like how something sounds.

Jun 21, 2022 at 7:03 PM Post #237 of 390
Did you ever get around to a May vs Dave comparison?
I got to hear both the Dave and the May, but the set up was not optimal for either. The Dave was in the Chord booth and there was no external amp connected to it. So, I plugged into it with my Susvara and it sounded bad. The May was in the Audeze booth and I heard the MM-400 and LCD5 with it and I am not fond of those headphones. So I didn't really get sufficient impressions for those listens.

Jun 21, 2022 at 8:13 PM Post #238 of 390
Making claims that are definitively false and probable. Doing it so arrogantly as well. Just say you don’t hear it the same way. They aren’t missing. You are in the minority. It’s ok to not like how something sounds.
You are going to hate me for saying this but in addition to the missing lower mid I heard (or rather didn’t hear), I also heard Stealth having a 6-7k glare and some reflected sound, which smears spacial reproduction and annoys me. There are other issues that I noticed but they don’t bother me as much. There, now I’m done. :darthsmile:

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2022 at 10:18 PM Post #240 of 390
Guys guys guys kennerton Rognir planar bass tune is obviously the best closed back headphone money can buy and beautiful wood finish to boot.
Speaking of the Rögnir, I brought it to the show and tried it out on the Dave + Mscaler to mentally compare to my TT2+Mscaler rig. Certainly not optimal listening conditions but to me the Dave did make the bass even more noticeable. Not more bass per se but even easier to isolate out of the mix. Need to hear a Dave again in better listening conditions but for now my wallet is safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back