CanJam Chicago 2022 Impressions Thread (June 18-19, 2022)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 21, 2022 at 2:41 PM Post #196 of 390
Jun 21, 2022 at 2:48 PM Post #197 of 390
Great write up! Seems like you had a great time, makes me want to venture to other CanJams in the coming years. Also makes me wonder how Hot Pot is in other places besides Los Angeles :ksc75smile:

Jun 21, 2022 at 3:01 PM Post #198 of 390
Weiss 502 when I had it on tour made me want to just sell everything and buy it but I felt like my chain gave me more freedom can’t replace tube sound with a ss no matter how good.
I just had one of these on home demo. Absolutely loved it

Jun 21, 2022 at 3:08 PM Post #199 of 390
Also was able to pick a few things up while we were there.

These will be used with my Empire Ears after they come back from a little touch up, big thanks to @Jack Vang for assisting me with the issue.
E_A Cadmus.jpg

OF course a big thank you the ZMF, @zach915m, Bevin and crew, for this fine piece.
ZMF A_C.jpg
The matching foam behind the grilles really make those pop!

Jun 21, 2022 at 3:21 PM Post #200 of 390
Jun 21, 2022 at 3:27 PM Post #201 of 390
Also, this thread makes me wish there was a CanJam in the San Francisco Bay Area so bad!! :frowning2:

Interesting that you should mention that... back in the days before @third_eye and I began contributing to CanJams, we used to organize local/regional Head-Fi meets in Los Angeles and San Francisco.

5799868.png

6242432.jpg

They were smaller and more intimate one-day events, with only a third of the exhibitors typically showing at a fully-fledged CanJam, but they were still fun! :)

Jun 21, 2022 at 3:36 PM Post #203 of 390
Great write up! Seems like you had a great time, makes me want to venture to other CanJams in the coming years. Also makes me wonder how Hot Pot is in other places besides Los Angeles :ksc75smile:
Apparently, it’s great! :)

Jun 21, 2022 at 3:39 PM Post #204 of 390
Jun 21, 2022 at 3:40 PM Post #205 of 390
Apparently, it’s great! :)
Haidilao in Century City is probably a lot better than Chicago China Town Happy Lamb knockoff - just being perfectly objective here.

FYI, Chicago’s “Happy Lamb” is not the real Happy Lamb. There used to be a real Happy Lamb at the same location but they left Chicago a few years back.

Edit: okay, turns out Happy Lamb is a knock off of Little Sheep. Lol. So confusing.

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2022 at 3:44 PM Post #206 of 390
@chesebert
1. Resolution
2. PRAaT
3. Mid range purity / timbre / naturalness
4. Soundstage
5. Visceral Impact

I just saw this I have a playlist but I don’t have 5 songs that I’ve categorized like this. it would be great if you had a sample guide, hehe for next time.

Thank you for the tip !

Jun 21, 2022 at 3:45 PM Post #207 of 390
So what do you think?

For the price point it doesn't look anything special and the build quality is nothing to write home about and also uses two ESS 9018K2M dac-chips but this thing sounds seriously impressive.

Extremely smooth and rich sounding with absolutely no hint of fatigue at all. This is hands down the most analogue sounding DAC I have heard so far.

It doesn't have the soundstage width of the holo may or Chord DAVE or DAVE's crazy detail and excitement but makes up in richness, body, warmth and sounds extremely liquid.

Weiss have just discontinued this dac unfortunately but a new one is coming later this year apparently.

Jun 21, 2022 at 3:48 PM Post #208 of 390
Jun 21, 2022 at 3:50 PM Post #209 of 390
I remember the 2014 SoCal Head-Fi meet very well! One of my favorite experiences!

Haidilao in Century City is probably a lot better than Chicago China Town Happy Lamb knockoff - just being perfectly objective here.

FYI, Chicago’s “Happy Lamb” is not the real Happy Lamb. There used to be a real Happy Lamb at the same location but they left Chicago a few years back.

Edit: okay, turns out Happy Lamb is a knock off of Little Sheep. Lol. So confusing.

Haidilao is amazing! As was Jazz Cat in San Gabriel though I think Covid killed that one. Little Sheep is ok for a chain. I guess I could go on a CanJam tour and try Hot pot everywhere!

Jun 21, 2022 at 4:26 PM Post #210 of 390
For the price point it doesn't look anything special and the build quality is nothing to write home about and also uses two ESS 9018K2M dac-chips but this thing sounds seriously impressive.

Extremely smooth and rich sounding with absolutely no hint of fatigue at all. This is hands down the most analogue sounding DAC I have heard so far.

It doesn't have the soundstage width of the holo may or Chord DAVE or DAVE's crazy detail and excitement but makes up in richness, body, warmth and sounds extremely liquid.

Weiss have just discontinued this dac unfortunately but a new one is coming later this year apparently.
Wait wut they discontinued the Weiss 502 ?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back