CanJam at RMAF Denver CO October 2,3,4
Oct 3, 2009 at 1:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 209

jp11801

aka JP-nums or JP-numbers
Lead Organizer for Can Jam '09
Day one went by in a flash! Not enough beer was drank yet but we'll be solving that problem at 730 when we go out for pints and dinner.

Jerry Harvey and company have a drop dead gorgeous booth two couches with a balanced rig to jam out to the JH13s, you have to hear the JH13s balanced they are scary good.

Jude and I were joined by ASR, Sherwood, Velogreg, HPA and a few of the other local crew today. Great group of people thanks for coming fellas.

A few new surprises in store for us like the Audeze line now has a second headphone. If you liked the first one (and I did) you are going to love the second one. GR9 and ALO were exhibiting together and had some nice new stuff. Matt from GR9 has a box that takes the digital signal from your ipod direct and plays it back through a built in dac, it sounded great. The big suprise was the RX amp a joint product from ALO and GR9. This amp sounded magnificent, I will probably snag one and do a review I liked it that much. It is the same size as an IPOD classic but thinner maybe and uses a digital volume control. Once people hear this both Ken and Matt are going to be busy guys.

Heard the HD800s out of the Raptor in Jude's rig being source by the Luxman CDP, great sound and something I'd like to spend some more time with.

Thats all for now as beer awaits!

Oct 3, 2009 at 3:03 AM Post #2 of 209
Wait, the JH-13's now have a balanced cable? How are they terminated?
Enjoy your beer, and report back!

Oct 3, 2009 at 5:36 AM Post #3 of 209
We arrived about 5:30PM and set up, then checked in. Then I called Ray Samuels and got to have dinner at Texas Roadhouse with him, Audio Addict (Steve) and Ted from Cable Pro. Then we went back to the hotel and listened to some GamuT speakers on an analog rig because they were doing some tweaking and Ray knew the guy who let us go into the room and listen/pick music. Looking forward to tomorrow!

Oct 3, 2009 at 8:22 AM Post #4 of 209
Can not wait for pictures and impressions to show up.
Have a nice time everyone!
smile.gif

Oct 3, 2009 at 12:04 PM Post #6 of 209
Quote:

Originally Posted by Grahame /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wait, the JH-13's now have a balanced cable? How are they terminated?
Enjoy your beer, and report back!

Jerry had one he built using cable from his other line of headphones. Ray loaned them his Apache with the latest Revision C. I didn't listen so I can't comment, all I can do is say you should have seen the faces on Ray, Jerry and some of his assistants after listening. The picture seemed to suggest a very positive experience.

Oct 3, 2009 at 1:05 PM Post #7 of 209
I'm looking forward to the impressions of the balanced JH13Pro and the balanced ES3X. Just wonder if the balanced versions will increase or decrease their gap of performance.

Oct 3, 2009 at 5:01 PM Post #11 of 209
Balanced cables will look silly, as the connectors themselves will be larger than the ear pieces. A single 4 pin Neutrik would be better, but still. My biggest worry is the delicate pins and socket if the cables are swapped often.

Although the best solution would be to have another pair of JH13's.
biggrin.gif

Oct 3, 2009 at 5:41 PM Post #12 of 209
You know, it's statements like these from Harry Pearson at The Absolute Sound that makes me not want to go to shows like the RMAF where headphones are the red headed step child of High End Audio.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sterophile Blog
"If you listen on headphones all the time, you don't really hear the music. You need to feel the energy of the live concert experience."

Stereophile: HP Speaks!

Oct 3, 2009 at 5:50 PM Post #13 of 209
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Balanced cables will look silly, as the connectors themselves will be larger than the ear pieces. A single 4 pin Neutrik would be better, but still. My biggest worry is the delicate pins and socket if the cables are swapped often.

Although the best solution would be to have another pair of JH13's.
biggrin.gif

Maybe terminate the cable with a small 4 pin lemo connector, then you can have a set of 4 pin lemo connectors, connected to 3 pin SE 3.5mm jack, 3 pin 1/4" jack, 4 pin XLR, or 2 x 3pin XLR . This way you don't keep connecting/reconnecting the cables to the earpieces. The lemo connector takes care of that. The trick would be to get the cable length right, so that the weight of the connector is not transferred/pulling on the earpieces. Not that I have considered this, you understand
wink.gif

I can understand the convenience of having a "portable" (SE) , and a "Home" (Balanced) pair
very_evil_smiley.gif

Oct 3, 2009 at 6:12 PM Post #14 of 209
Quote:

You know, it's statements like these from Harry Pearson at The Absolute Sound that makes me not want to go to shows like the RMAF where headphones are the red headed step child of High End Audio.

I concur. It is unfortunate; however, we still have our devoted community and meets. Let's hope that Jp and crew can open some eyes.

Oct 3, 2009 at 7:22 PM Post #15 of 209
Quote:

Look Harry is ok and high end audio owes him much but at the end of the day he represents the past and we are the future. We were out to dinner last with Harry he was gracious and probably this is just an off quote as he does not know headfiers are avid music fans that see more live shows that most.

The crew here RMAF has been outstanding very welcoming and enthusiastic, thanks to Ray Kimber, Joe Renyolds, Roy Gregory and Macie and Marjorie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back