Cancelled
Jun 7, 2013 at 6:10 PM Post #3 of 7
Thanks for the help. The Audinst looks a bit pricey. Would you recommend anything specific from Audio-GD? The Aune T1 looks like a good Amp/DAC combo but the design puts me off for some reason. I really like the cleanliness of the Schiit.

Hopefully I'll get some more advice! 

Jun 7, 2013 at 6:17 PM Post #4 of 7
I've owned the NFB-12 in the past and liked it as a small all in one that can power anything short of an HE-6 or K1000. It's been replaced by the newer NFB-15, which has the Wolfson dac filters accessible from the front panel and an upgraded USB chip. There's also the NFB-11, which is the Sabre dac version of the unit. These are a little pricey as well, coming in at $250-$300 with shipping.

The Schiit is a great sounding stack, but it's for headphones only. The Audinst, Aune, and Audio GD units have preamp outs for speakers and some have multiple digital inputs as well.

Jun 8, 2013 at 12:02 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:
I've owned the NFB-12 in the past and liked it as a small all in one that can power anything short of an HE-6 or K1000. It's been replaced by the newer NFB-15, which has the Wolfson dac filters accessible from the front panel and an upgraded USB chip. There's also the NFB-11, which is the Sabre dac version of the unit. These are a little pricey as well, coming in at $250-$300 with shipping.

The Schiit is a great sounding stack, but it's for headphones only. The Audinst, Aune, and Audio GD units have preamp outs for speakers and some have multiple digital inputs as well.

To be honest, I haven't considered different outputs. I'm focusing on headphones now because thats all I really need this amp for. Speakers outputs is thinking pretty far ahead.

I'm kicking myself for selling my vintage audio/speaker set-up right now.

I'd like some more input on this. Maybe I should have posted this in the amp section of the forums. I'm especially curious about number 7 on my list. 

Jun 8, 2013 at 2:46 PM Post #6 of 7
CMOYs are good bang for the buck amps. The Grado RA-1 uses similar guts to a CMOY.

If you're in the US, try JDS Labs. They're a bit pricier, but they review well here. The rechargeable version looks really convenient.   

Jun 10, 2013 at 12:28 PM Post #7 of 7
Are you referring to the JDS Labs Cmoy or the ebay Cmoys I linked? 

Unfortunately I'm in Canada. The rechargeable JDS Cmoy starts at 64.99 and at that price I would probably just pull the trigger on an Objective2 or Magni. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back