canalphones or full sized
Apr 29, 2006 at 12:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

PYROphonez

Headphoneus Supremus
After purchasing my ATH-FC7's, I've been thinking of gettting another pair of headphones (thanks head-fi...) that are NO MORE than $30.

Would I get better sound quality out of the EP-630s over $30 full-sized cans? Bass is always good. If I get the EP-630's now, I'll be more likely to get full-sized cans later, maybe at a higher price.

Another thing is, I've never worn a pair of canalphones, so I have no clue how much I like them. The closest I've been to were a pair of Koss plugs. They looked extremely uncomfortable and as if it goes way too far in.

I don't know which I want more. A pair of full-sized for gaming and movies and some music, or the EP-630s for music on the go. (EP-630s would probably get more use)
Final question: How do the EP-630s go with gaming?

Apr 29, 2006 at 12:30 PM Post #3 of 8

PYROphonez

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm not in the mood for more clip-ons really. I have a pair already that sounds AMAZING for $2.99 at radioshack from their summer sale. They're normally about $15. Really good with gaming too!

Apr 29, 2006 at 12:51 PM Post #5 of 8

PYROphonez

Headphoneus Supremus
I don't want on the ear phones. That's what I have the ATH-FC7s for. I got those in place of other on the ears.
I just want to know if the EP-630s will sound better than $30 full sized cans.

Apr 29, 2006 at 6:10 PM Post #6 of 8

LaBreaHead

Headphoneus Supremus
Sounds like you need the Creative canal phones or maybe the Koss PortaPro's or PortaPro 2's. I've got both, and while I do use Shure and Etymotics IEMs, too, the Creatives have gotten used frequently since I got them in March.

The EP-630's would get a lot of use and would be very easy to carry around, obviously ... good sound for canal phones, although it won't be jaw-dropping -- but they will be a good everyday solution within your price range.

The PortaPro variations would give you the impressive Koss sound with a flexible, light metal headband that's more comfortable than I would have expected (and no ear clips, of course).

You asked: "Would I get better sound quality out of the EP-630s over $30 full-sized cans?" Probably not, if only due to the sliding scale of the performance of headphones vs. the performance of comparably priced in-ears. But with the Creatives you would get a fairly comfortable set of earphones that tend to stay put in the ear, that don't leak noise, and that isolate a little bit ... for all but the pickiest listeners, the Creatives would be a fine tool for listening to your audio.

Apr 29, 2006 at 7:25 PM Post #7 of 8

jagorev

Headphoneus Supremus
Quote:

Originally Posted by PYROphonez
I just want to know if the EP-630s will sound better than $30 full sized cans.

Compared to $30 Koss or Senn phones, they certainly won't sound better.

Apr 29, 2006 at 7:40 PM Post #8 of 8

PYROphonez

Headphoneus Supremus
Well, if I do end up getting these HP840s I found for an amazingly cheap price (its starting at $1 and it ends tomorrow. No bids yet) I will hold off on the ep-630s, although I really would like an extremely portable canalphone like the ep-630 for the gym and just everyday use on the bus, etc. The ATH-FC7's are great and portable, but they just aren't meant to be used in the gym IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread