Canalphone Carry Case
Jun 8, 2004 at 9:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

JB.

100+ Head-Fier
After searching for weeks for a case for my Ety's and Westone plugs, I checked out the Pelican #1010 Micro based on the recommendation from DJGeorgeT in this thread. I bought two so that I could conduct a few high-tech stress tests on one to see how it would hold up to the beating it would surely take from my chronic clumsiness. Test #1 consisted of placing the case on a hard surface and standing on it (I'm 200 lbs): Result = Pass. For test #2, I submerged the case in dirty sink water: Result = Pass (in fact it kept floating to the top). Verdict: this thing is a tank. In fact, its only real drawback is that it's overkill.

Ety_4s_Macro2.jpg

Pelican_Blk_Closed.jpg

(Above)The 1010 comes in four solid colors, I chose black. It's 4 1/2" X 3" X 1 3/4" on the interior.

Pelican_Blk_Open.jpg

(Above) I opted for the Pick N' Pluck foam insert (item #1012). VERY snug (post Pickin' N' Pluckin')
Pelican_Blk_Open_full.jpg

Pelican_Blk_Open_full_Macro.jpg

Pelican_Blue_Closed.jpg

(Above) Also comes in clear with choice of colored liner and hinge.

Pelican_Blue_full.jpg

Pelican_Blue_Insert_Out_Open.jpg

(Above) On the clear models, the rubber insert can be removed. The case will still shut tightly, but it is no longer waterproof.

The case lists for around $12.00 and B&H Photo has it for $6.81 plus shipping.

Jun 8, 2004 at 10:11 PM Post #3 of 8
Pelican cases are fantastic. Had no idea they made one that small. We use them all the time and I have one for my video camera at home that was given to me. I'm curious too... how much were the custom ear molds and would that be better than the standard silicon tips that I normally use?

Jun 8, 2004 at 10:16 PM Post #4 of 8
The main reason I got the mods was for comfort (the stock plugs really hurt!) and isolation. They succeeded in both.
I have a friend who's an audiologist who took molds for me, so I only had to pay for the actual plugs (< $100).
To me, there is no perceptible difference in sound quality with the configuration that I have. The Headroom sound-bores (also offered by Westone) are considered to negatively affect the sound, though I haven’t heard them myself.

I can't say enough about how much my listening experience has improved since I got the custom plugs, they were well worth the effort and cost.

Jun 9, 2004 at 2:12 AM Post #5 of 8
Can you remove the new molds and go back to stock tips or are you locked into only using the molds now?

Jun 9, 2004 at 3:26 AM Post #6 of 8
You can go back to stock tips after you've used the mods. The only issue is replacing the filters - you will likely damage the filters during the switch.
I was able to avoid having to replace the filters by using fine-point tweezers instead of the Ety filter removal tool - though it's not that big a concern given that 3 filter pairs are $15 through Etymotic.

Jun 9, 2004 at 7:16 AM Post #7 of 8
Wow, that case is awesome. I can't find the foam insert on B&H Photo Video, although I see the case. I can vouch for the site's service, I've used it for several thousand dollars of photo equipment without a problem.

Jun 9, 2004 at 10:48 PM Post #8 of 8
Hmmm, you seem to be right about the insert from B&H Photo.
I found another site (HERE) that carries the case for $7.35 and also sells the inserts (though I think any foam could work).

Anyone have experience casting custom foam inserts? I have seen a number of products on the market that could potentially work for this, but I have no idea about the cost or time required. I would love to give the Ety's the respect I think they deserve with a classy, well-designed place of rest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back