Canada has Cheaper CD's and DVD's
Nov 25, 2002 at 5:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

NotoriousBIG_PJ

Step 1: Plug power cable into wall. Step 2: Plug other end of power cable into....umm.... Step 0.5: Order something to power with power cable.
Nov 25, 2002 at 4:04 PM Post #3 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by kelly
On the other hand, they do have to live in Canada.

heh.

who cares? just because it's amazon doesn't mean it's the exact same store and price in every nation on the globe. ever been to mcdonald's in the ghetto and then stop off at the mcdonald's at the rest area? get the same thing and your bill costs about three or four dollars different.

i wish i was so naive i didn't realize the world was slightly different in other places.

Nov 25, 2002 at 7:14 PM Post #4 of 18
And despite grinch's uninformed statement, music is cheaper in Canadia than in the US, two countries that otherwise widely enjoy purchasing price parity. ...

kerely

Nov 25, 2002 at 8:20 PM Post #5 of 18
BTW, we Americans can shop at Amazon.ca -- I just bought the Back to the Future box set as a Christmas gift for a friend there: $25 including shipping to the U.S.

Nov 25, 2002 at 8:38 PM Post #6 of 18
Oh I thought Grinch was saying Canada is the U.S's ghetto haha.

j/k

I haven't noticed price differences in anything but CD's and DVD's. Video games work out to the same price in either country...

Biggie.

Nov 25, 2002 at 9:37 PM Post #7 of 18
Yeah, that's why region codes are so useful to the companies, it helps them maintain their price gouging situation. DVDs often cost the SAME in AU dollars as they do in US, and that's taking into account the fact that the US dollar is worth about twice ours.

Nov 26, 2002 at 4:07 AM Post #8 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by elipsis
Yeah, that's why region codes are so useful to the companies, it helps them maintain their price gouging situation. DVDs often cost the SAME in AU dollars as they do in US, and that's taking into account the fact that the US dollar is worth about twice ours.

And that is why region-free firmware patches are so nice.

Nov 26, 2002 at 4:13 AM Post #9 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by CaptBubba
And that is why region-free firmware patches are so nice.

Or cheapo Chinese DVD players. mp3, CDR, CDRW, VCD, SVCD and DVD, with no region locking, for US $90 or so? Sounds good!

Nov 26, 2002 at 6:01 AM Post #10 of 18
i dunno a whole lot about the differences in prices for media, but last time i was in seattle, i noticed that prices at Starbucks were the same as in Canada, only in American dollars.

interesting...actually now that i think of it, i think CD's are slightly cheaper in Canada...but i still bitch about having to pay $15+ CAD for a CD. oh well...

Nov 26, 2002 at 3:36 PM Post #11 of 18
We have the lowest prices on digital media (excluding video & PC games) anywere in the free world.

It's all due to fierce price gouging competition amongst the big three (Futureshop, HMV, and A&B Sound). They set the pace for everyone else to follow. In the case of mom & pop stores, that's a tough pill to swallow.

Nov 26, 2002 at 11:26 PM Post #12 of 18
ya i noticed the cheaper CD's too.

I really have no idea why. Is it because music companies see that americans will pay more, while canadians might choose not to purchase a CD if its too expensive?

btw Chewmanji: I like ur avatar
biggrin.gif
...have to admit tho, it looks a lot different in color and then in B&W...can't decide yet which one looks better tho
biggrin.gif

Nov 26, 2002 at 11:42 PM Post #13 of 18
Hmm, I take it Canada is region 1 too, for dvds?
very_evil_smiley.gif

Also, how's shipping from the US to canada?

edit2: Wow, this is very nice! Very, very nice! If I ever need to order lots of cds or dvds, amazon canada it is! Band of brothers, was $100 shipped, canadian, saving $15 over the US price. Buying mutliple items, the savings should add up!

Nov 27, 2002 at 12:13 AM Post #14 of 18
Canadians can also get a $10 rebate if they are a first time user and know the coupon name. So far I've used it, my mom has used it and my Dad is about to use it.
smily_headphones1.gif

Free shipping helps too!

Biggie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back