Can Your Earphones Be Shocked / Blown Out? (Excessive volume, current shocks)
Jul 16, 2011 at 11:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Pepper

100+ Head-Fier
Dear Head-Fi,

I had a pair of Shure SE530s that have been rendered quite useless since they were "shocked," or so I believe. I plugged them into an old Macbook Pro, and the volume was set exceedingly high, and the current where I was was pretty unstable. The power went in and out (it was in Vietnam, so the outlet was 240V, but it went through the laptop's transformer, and then through the standard computer headphone jack).

Anyway, the earphones experienced some serious trauma (either from the electricity / exceedingly high volume). I quickly unplugged the headphones, but probably two seconds of this absolutely terrifying blaring had already played through the earphones. Since then, the sound on the SE530s has been noticeably bad. I acclimated myself to the destroyed sound after awhile, but when I purchased my UM3Xs, I instantly noticed the huge difference in sound quality (jokes about the SE530's price:sound quality aside). The SE530s sounded—and continue to sound—like a pair of $20 headphones; everything is quite murky, and the sound is quite scratchy at some points of the spectrum. Also, they are not sensitive at all anymore; they need to be pulled up to maximum volume for them to even sound like they're at half, now.

With this in mind, I am wondering if this all is even possible, or if it is simply a signal problem because of damage or corrosion on the wire.

Thanks,
Pepper

(Maybe I just do not know the right keywords or terminology, but I have not been able to find anything on Google. It keeps giving me results of people receiving static shocks through their headphones.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back