Can you work with headphones?
Mar 5, 2006 at 9:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

warnsey

100+ Head-Fier
For some reason i really can't cocentrate with headphones on. I seem to just drift off with the music and end up writing things that don't make sense. Anyone else have this problem or am i just weird?

Mar 5, 2006 at 9:10 AM Post #2 of 29
Nope, I spend all day at work blasting my ears off. I think you need to listen to something that doesn't lend itself to drifting off though. I choose Rammstein
icon10.gif

Mar 5, 2006 at 9:46 AM Post #3 of 29
The lab I work in operates a "no headphones" policy whilst inside. Therefore I have little sympathy. But seriously, I ALWAYS work to music when at home, whether headphoned or speakered. Maybe your music is just better than mine.

Mar 5, 2006 at 9:50 AM Post #4 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by warnsey
For some reason i really can't cocentrate with headphones on. I seem to just drift off with the music and end up writing things that don't make sense. Anyone else have this problem or am i just weird?

same here, and that with budget headphones as well
biggrin.gif
(SHP-895)

Mar 5, 2006 at 9:58 AM Post #5 of 29
I guess some of it may be the type of work you do. I usually end up so focussed I frequently get through whole albums without even registering what I'm listening to. It's even happened on occasion where I'll be sitting there for the best part of an hour wearing my cans before realising I don't even have any music playing.
rolleyes.gif

Mar 5, 2006 at 10:22 AM Post #6 of 29
I have no problem with music and work unless its new music I don't know very well. Other than that, I can listen to chill or punk rock or aynthing really, without getting distracted.

Mar 5, 2006 at 10:49 AM Post #7 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by stewtheking
The lab I work in operates a "no headphones" policy whilst inside. Therefore I have little sympathy. But seriously, I ALWAYS work to music when at home, whether headphoned or speakered. Maybe your music is just better than mine.

Haha. Maybe.. I do tend to listen to pretty laid back acoustic music though or orchestral music. I have found that if i listen to orchestral music or music without words it is a little easier to work because it gives one less thing to concentrate on.

Mar 5, 2006 at 11:05 AM Post #8 of 29
In the past, I had the same problem like warnsey but nowadays I work with music and I like it.
biggrin.gif
You should try to work with music and try again and again and again... Just let those headphones on your head while working and you'll see, in a few weeks (maybe months) you're working and browsing head-fi with those high-end cans on your head.
eggosmile.gif
Try to concentrate you.
tongue.gif

Foolproof-Jean
580smile.gif

Mar 5, 2006 at 3:33 PM Post #10 of 29
I guess you could say I have the opposite problem.

I wear my headphones at work and find that I have no problem concentrating on the task at hand, but often realize that I never really heard the song I just listened to. In other words, the work distracts me from the music.

Mar 5, 2006 at 3:35 PM Post #11 of 29
I have no problem working while listening, either with headphones or speakers. Other than the fact that I rarely get through a whole song without having the phone ring
mad.gif

Mar 5, 2006 at 3:57 PM Post #12 of 29
It depends what you mean by work. I can't do homework with headphones blasting because they just distract me. I have never actually had a job so I wouldn't know whether I'd be able to do my job and listen to music at the same time.

Mar 5, 2006 at 4:10 PM Post #13 of 29
My job involves everything from programming to swinging pipe wrenches, so it really depends on the task at hand.

If I'm working alone, pulling wire, or piping; I really like to wear headphones, anything will do. I usually shuffle the whole 40gig player and let it ride.

If I'm programming, I like music because it keeps me from being distracted by the environment, whether that be co-workers or loud noises. Angry music is best.

But when I'm troubleshooting a problem, I usually turn the music off and try to go with the lightest earplug that still protects my hearing. Often I need those subtle audio cues to really understand what the system is doing.

All that said, my boss really doesn't understand how I get anything done when I'm listening to music. He says it's distracting and looks unprofessional. I find this most hipocritical as the radio never gets turned off in his office, even when entertaining clients. I really like my job however, and never point this out to him.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 5, 2006 at 4:21 PM Post #14 of 29
My current job does not allow me to listen to music while I work, but while I was a student, I used to do all my homework with headphones on. I could concentrate on the task at hand better with music, since it blocked the sounds of activity around me, and also it gave me something to enjoy while I was doing the work.

After a while I found that I was better at math while I listened to classical music. I think it was just 'all in my head,' but really I wished I could use my headphones during the exam!

Mar 5, 2006 at 4:32 PM Post #15 of 29
I actually listen to about 50% music at work, and the other 50% podcasts. Interestingly enough, I seem to work the best when listening to podcasts. This is quite opposite of what I would expect, but hey, it works.

P.S. Anyone going to do a Head-Fi related podcast?
etysmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back