Can you use a sound card AND a USB DAC on the same PC but NOT at the same time?
Oct 24, 2021 at 3:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

bust3r

100+ Head-Fier
I didn't think about this earlier, but I'm in a little predicament here, not only do I like to listen to premier audio, but I like to game out a little as well and since I got the DX7 pro, I see that it doesnt have a mic input like on a normal soundcard. Not surprised, totally expected, but didn't think about it beforehand.

Can I have a sound card in the PC and have an external DAC/AMP at the same time? Use the sound card for when I need a mic and the DX7 pro for music listening?

Has anyone tried this?

I'd think its possible to do with a bi-directional audio switch? Line outs from both devices to the switch and select between the 2?

Oct 25, 2021 at 11:59 AM Post #3 of 12
You don't need an external switch. You can switch between the two in the windows sound settings. You may also have to set it in your audio/game software.
EDIT: you will have to switch the plug for the headphones probably.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2021 at 12:45 PM Post #4 of 12
Ok, thanks guys, excellent! But the RCA out on the topping is confusing me as I'm thinking it still needs to be in use for some reason but the audio is going thru the USB.....
Normally, RCA out from sound card to amp but since the DX7 is a combo unit that won't work and that part is sending my feeble brain sideways.

Oct 25, 2021 at 12:58 PM Post #5 of 12
Are you trying to use the DAC in the Topping combo? If so, try using usb out of the computer to the usb input on the combo. If not you have bought the wrong thing. After hooking up the usb, select usb output in windows.

Oct 25, 2021 at 1:17 PM Post #6 of 12
Are you trying to use the DAC in the Topping combo? If so, try using usb out of the computer to the usb input on the combo. If not you have bought the wrong thing. After hooking up the usb, select usb output in windows.
Yes, the DAC to use for headphone and desktop use but need to switch to the sound card for when I need a mic. That's the only reason I still need the card in use.

The USB is connected to the PC and the sound card is inside the PC as well.

I don't think this will work the way I was hoping, like another poster said, I'll probably have to swap cables when needing to use the sound card.

Oct 25, 2021 at 1:43 PM Post #7 of 12
Yes unless you have two sets of headphones, you will need to swap out the headphones from one device to another each time you switch. There might be a work around, but it eludes me at the moment.

Oct 25, 2021 at 2:31 PM Post #10 of 12
It's a modmic, it's connected to the headphones but there's no mic built into the headphones, they are HD650's. It just magnetically clips on the side.

In that case you shouldn't need swap cables. Keep the modmic plugged into the sound card, keep the headphones plugged into the DX7 and simply set the sound card as the input device and the DX7 as the output device in your sound settings

Nov 5, 2021 at 6:06 AM Post #12 of 12
I didn't think about this earlier, but I'm in a little predicament here, not only do I like to listen to premier audio, but I like to game out a little as well and since I got the DX7 pro, I see that it doesnt have a mic input like on a normal soundcard. Not surprised, totally expected, but didn't think about it beforehand.

Can I have a sound card in the PC and have an external DAC/AMP at the same time? Use the sound card for when I need a mic and the DX7 pro for music listening?

Has anyone tried this?

I'd think its possible to do with a bi-directional audio switch? Line outs from both devices to the switch and select between the 2?
The solution I went with is to run a stack, and then run an extension cable and mic or headset jack to the onboard sound. I disable everything in Windows except the mic portion. If you do it just get the 3 ring extension, not the standard stereo one so it supports a mic. I got a nice black matte desk mic on Amazon for $12.99 and it came with a USB dongle as well as the 3.5mm it comes with. The cord on it is so long it'll reach the back of any computer (it must be 12 feet). It's listed as the PoP voice USB Microphone and sounds good too. The extension cord for the headset mic jack was like $4 on eBay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back