Can you recommend a portable/desktop amp
Feb 26, 2015 at 6:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

mrflabby

New Head-Fier
I'd like to connect my Galaxy S4 phone to my hifi system.

The volume I get using a cable is very low so I wanted to use an amp to improve sound. 

Would you recommend using an amp for that? Desktop or portable? I'm looking for decent sound  from flac files and I have a restricted budget. 

Thanks!!

Feb 26, 2015 at 7:33 AM Post #2 of 7
Fiio E17 DAC/AMP is pretty decent for both portable and desktop.

But I think a more important question is how exactly are you connecting your phone to the hifi?

Feb 26, 2015 at 9:29 AM Post #4 of 7
With a phone I can't think of any.

I think I had an amp once that had quite different volumes on one or two inputs.
Have you tried using another RCA input?

Feb 26, 2015 at 11:42 AM Post #5 of 7
If all you want to do is connect your phone to your hifi system, you don't have to have a headphone amp. Just a DAC that works with USB audio out. Although, a combined headphone amp/dac that has a line out would work well, too. Note that not all DACs work well with USB audio out on a phone. You would also need a USB OTG cable. I suggest looking through this thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/667838/samsung-galaxy-s4-compatible-portable-dac-amps

What is your budget for this? What make/model hifi setup do you have?

Also, what will you use it for? Playing music files? Spotify?

Feb 27, 2015 at 12:49 AM Post #6 of 7
I use an Ibasso D-Zero with my SGS3 for my transportable set-up; for my reference set-up it used to be just the Meier Cantate.2 but now I use the D-Zero's line out hooked up to the analog inputs on the Cantate.2.

Here's the D-Zero with my active speakers, but in that photo I was using my laptop instead of my SGS3.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back