Can you enjoy lossy (compressed) music through your favorite headphones?
Jun 24, 2009 at 7:51 PM Post #167 of 234
I cannot enjoy compressed music at all - whatever it is played back on.

Jun 24, 2009 at 8:08 PM Post #168 of 234
Given how difficult it is to tell 256kbps+ recordings from lossless without training, I listen to the mp3 or (recently) aac encoded version and keep the few bits of lossless I have for storage purposes. That way itunes tags the same tracks as "listened to" on my desktop, appletv, and iphone.

Jun 24, 2009 at 11:31 PM Post #169 of 234
Before getting into better audio equipment 128kbs seemed fine and was a space saver as well. The music is still enjoyable to me but reripping my audio cds to 320kbs is much more enjoyable. But either way it's the music I like and I can enjoy it anytime of the day.

Jun 24, 2009 at 11:40 PM Post #170 of 234
If the music is good, you'll enjoy it. People used to listen to music through equipment that's 1000x more horrible than today's low-fi headphones and I betcha they enjoyed it all the same.

Jun 25, 2009 at 1:10 AM Post #171 of 234
I never listen to anything other than lossless. I buy all my music on CD's and rip them with the highest quality possible. Some recordings it makes a huge difference, others not so much. However, I want to err on the side of having more quality than needed given either the recording or my gear. In the second scenario I will one day upgrade and then be able to discern the differences. As it stands more often than not I'm in audio bliss and thank the stars that I am!

Jun 25, 2009 at 3:59 AM Post #173 of 234
Ive only been able to acquire the soundtrack for Sword of the Stranger as 128kbps mp3 but its still an amazing sounding OST with my set up (which, granted, isnt astounding by any means).

Jun 25, 2009 at 4:05 AM Post #174 of 234
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bad quality is bad quality!

Not if it is impossible to hear the bad quality. Who cares if the tree made a sound when it fell in the forest if you can't hear it anyway?

Jun 25, 2009 at 4:36 AM Post #175 of 234
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkweg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not if it is impossible to hear the bad quality. Who cares if the tree made a sound when it fell in the forest if you can't hear it anyway?

I care, because I can hear the bad quality. I hope you still have a choice.

Jun 25, 2009 at 6:05 AM Post #178 of 234
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkweg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You just think you can, it's all psychological because you know you are listening to compressed sound so automatically assume it sounds bad. I bet you would fail my DBT.

lol, now you tell me what I can hear? why you think they call them lossy and compressed?

Jun 25, 2009 at 6:08 AM Post #179 of 234
To my ears? Honestly I can't tell the difference between a good lossy compressed encoding (including a good variable bitrate mp3) and a true CD. No way I'd pass a blind test. Both are unlistenable compared to good vinyl (or open reel tape). I'm not a huge fan of the recent vinyl pressings either - I much prefer records pressed from the late 50s to the late 80s. Sure, some of the early stereo rock recordings were terrible, but other genres of music from that era (and earlier) I'd still consider state of the art today.

Yeah - not a fan of digital anywhere in the chain, here. But if it has to be digital, then compressed is generally fine with me. Next, just figure me out a good way to reliably archive that digital crap with truly low cost & maintenance...

Jun 25, 2009 at 6:31 AM Post #180 of 234
Quote:

Originally Posted by John Willett /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I cannot enjoy compressed music at all - whatever it is played back on.

So, you cant even enjoy flacs then?
Well there goes my remaining respect for sennheiser.
I sincerely hope you arent involved with anything other than customer service.
What a joke.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back