Can you dudes recommend me audiophile speakers?
Mar 13, 2014 at 4:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

TheChosen0ne

100+ Head-Fier
I haven't used speakers in a decade and a half and at that time I didn't even know the word audiophile existed so I didn't know how amazing music can sound.  Right now I have the Asgard 2 and Uber Bifrost with the HE 500 and been using that combination for months now but feel like going back to speakers and changing things up when I don't feel like using my phones.  Can you guys recommend me audiophile speakers that are 6" wide or less?  My table is super small.  I could only fit one 6" or less speaker, monitor and case on it. And when I get my speakers I will be forced to put one of them on top of my case and the other right next to my monitor.  Budget is $500 or less.  Also would I need any other equipment like amp for the speakers to make them better or can I just plug it in and be set?  Not familiar with speakers

Mar 13, 2014 at 7:37 AM Post #2 of 22
A very good, small foot print, speaker is Emotiva airmotiv 4s.
It's only 6.25" wide so might fit your size requirements.
These are active speakers, so they have built in amplifiers. You can connect them straight to the preamp amp out of your Asgard 2.
They go for around 400$ and have been very well praised.

Passive speakers + an integrated amp is another option, but most of the excellent entry-level bookshelves are closer to 7" in width. 
The other downside of this route is you'll need to share the output of your Bitfrost between the Asgard and the speaker amplifier.

Mar 13, 2014 at 9:34 AM Post #3 of 22
Not to knock the Emotiva in any way. (They are a continental US only product so I've never heard them).

However they are rear ported so are unlikely to be suitable for the OP has he has very limited space.

It is probably overkill in this situation but the ADAM A3X is the design which inspired the Emotiva but they are front ported and 6" wide.

http://www.adam-audio.com/en/pro-audio/products/a3x/technical-data.

Mar 13, 2014 at 10:01 AM Post #4 of 22
True, but A3x are 200$ over his 500$ or less budget.
In terms of placement he didn't mention anything proximity to the rear walls.
But for such a small speaker if he can put them 8-10" away from the rear wall he'll be fine.

I'm more worried about the actual arrangement of the speakers, as the OP said he'll place one on the desk and one on the PC case. 

Mar 13, 2014 at 10:53 AM Post #5 of 22
I don't seriously think the OP would be well advised to spend so much in such circumstances.

I didn't want to seem to be posting knocking copy without anything relevant. The A3X are the only < 6" wide front ported speakers I know well.

I also didn't realise how much more proportionally they cost once imported into the US. £340 or E410 shouldn't be $700,

Under the circs the OP might want to consider one of the better reviewed 2.1 systems from someone like Corsair? 2" or 3" satellites  on the desk and a sub for a bit of weight.

ed : gmr

Mar 13, 2014 at 10:59 AM Post #6 of 22
I have a pair of Swans M50w 2.1, they sound excellent. I run them through the WA7 RCA outputs. I think they're only like $250? they are more fun to listen to then my studio monitors which i payed $300 per speaker. so if your budget calls for $500,  maybe something higher up in the swans line would be great for you.

Mar 14, 2014 at 2:24 AM Post #7 of 22
I think I might get the ADAM A3X even though it's $359 each at Amazon which I prefer to buy it from.  Is there a better place to get them for a better price online?  Can I use the Asgard 2/Bifrost with it?  How would I connect the speakers to my comp?  USB?  I don't know anything about anything related to audio stuff.  Also putting speakers behind my monitor isn't an option since there's no space there too and also the audio might be kinda bad since it's getting blocked by my computer and monitor.  And I think with how I will put my speakers, one next to my monitor and the other on top of my case, it would give me surround sound :)  Anyways I would like more recommendations before making my final decision

Mar 14, 2014 at 7:15 AM Post #9 of 22
Another solution, if you can get them - Q Acoustics do a 2.1 systen where the speakers attach to your monitor. http://www.qacoustics.co.uk/q-tv-speakers-soundbar.htm

I don't know how good they are, but they are a very compact system, using BMR.drivers for the L&R channels.

Mar 15, 2014 at 1:08 AM Post #10 of 22
If you are considering the Adam A3X, I would recommend you taking a look at the Eve sc204. The designs are similar, as the CEO of Eve was the CEO and cofounder of Adam. I tried both and chose the Eve's. 

Mar 15, 2014 at 12:16 PM Post #11 of 22
I think I might get the ADAM A3X even though it's $359 each at Amazon which I prefer to buy it from.  Is there a better place to get them for a better price online?  Can I use the Asgard 2/Bifrost with it?  How would I connect the speakers to my comp? 

You don't plug the speakers into the computer. The Asgard 2 has a built in pre-amp. Use RCA cables to hook the speakers to the output on the back of it. Then, when your headphones are not plugged in, you'll be able to control the volume on your speakers using the Asgard 2.

Mar 16, 2014 at 3:05 AM Post #12 of 22
You don't plug the speakers into the computer. The Asgard 2 has a built in pre-amp. Use RCA cables to hook the speakers to the output on the back of it. Then, when your headphones are not plugged in, you'll be able to control the volume on your speakers using the Asgard 2.

Right now my rca cables are hooked to the Bifrost.  So take out the other end from Bifrost and hook it up to the speakers?  Right now my current RCA cables is like 6 inches.  I gotta find one that's at least 5 to 6 feet because as you all read, my table and room is super small.  I have my Asgard 2 and Uber Bifrost on my bed.  Can you guys recommend me the best/right cables for me on Amazon?  Also basically any speakers with a pre amp can do that right?  Sorry if I sound like a retard.  And keep the recommendations comming guys

Mar 16, 2014 at 9:41 AM Post #13 of 22

Right now my rca cables are hooked to the Bifrost.  So take out the other end from Bifrost and hook it up to the speakers?  Right now my current RCA cables is like 6 inches.  I gotta find one that's at least 5 to 6 feet because as you all read, my table and room is super small.  I have my Asgard 2 and Uber Bifrost on my bed.  Can you guys recommend me the best/right cables for me on Amazon?  Also basically any speakers with a pre amp can do that right?  Sorry if I sound like a retard.  And keep the recommendations comming guys

Yes, any active speakers (speakers with an amp) will work. If you want to use a passive speaker, you will need an amp for it. For RCA cables, if you are on a budget, I would recommend you looking at places that will take mogami or canare cables and will terminate with a specified length and specified connectors. Also are you are still considering the Adam A3X? How much has your budget increased by? And how much room do you have behind your desk? 

Mar 16, 2014 at 10:18 AM Post #14 of 22

No. Look at the back of the Asgard 2. It has pre-amp outs as well. Read your manual.

And you need to wait until you pick out the speakers to see what cables you need.

Mar 17, 2014 at 3:51 AM Post #15 of 22
  Yes, any active speakers (speakers with an amp) will work. If you want to use a passive speaker, you will need an amp for it. For RCA cables, if you are on a budget, I would recommend you looking at places that will take mogami or canare cables and will terminate with a specified length and specified connectors. Also are you are still considering the Adam A3X? How much has your budget increased by? And how much room do you have behind your desk? 

I changed my mind about my budget.  If it goes under or over $500 it doesn't matter as long as it's worth spending over $500 then I'll do it.  Right now I am just looking for speakers that will last me a decade or three like with my current set up with Asgard 2, Uber Bifrost and HE 500s.  I know there are more expensive, better phones, dac and amp but I am very satisfied with what I have.  Now I just need speakers so I can switch back and forth from speakers to headphones.  I got like 5 inches from the back of my monitor to the wall/ac outlet but I don't want to put them there since it would most likely muffle the sound

Users who are viewing this thread

Back