can you damage open cans by covering them?
Dec 27, 2007 at 6:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

jean_neige

New Head-Fier
This is a pretty paranoid but I have been afraid for a while now to listen to my SR60s with, say, my head on a pillow, because I know they are not designed to have the backing blocked off. Can you damage open headphones by using them while the backing is covered? I've heard drivers are sensitive and I don't know what the effects of air pressure etc. could be. Anybody have experience with this?

Dec 27, 2007 at 6:31 AM Post #2 of 4
it won't sound better homes; open cans are better because closed cans cause the sound to echo and such; have fun with your electrical tape but there's no way it'll sound better

Dec 27, 2007 at 6:35 AM Post #3 of 4
Haha, well what I meant by "crazy" is that I was concerned they might already be damaged, just by my having accidentally covered them (with my hands, a pillow I lie on, etc.) Of course I wasn't going to buy Grado and then cover them to improve the sound.

Dec 27, 2007 at 7:03 AM Post #4 of 4
You can damage closed cans, if you push both cups toward your head to strong and quick-the air will have no way to go out and it can crumple the membrane. Happened to me once. Unlikely to do that with open cans, because you just can't fully cover the cups with your palms and cut off the airflow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back