Can you connect a tube amp to an A/V receiver?
Apr 17, 2020 at 8:23 AM Post #2 of 20
You should be able to connect the tube amp to the line-outputs (RCA?) on the A/V receiver.

Apr 17, 2020 at 3:48 PM Post #5 of 20
Iif it has the word "output" next to the RCA's on your receiver, then use can you a external amp with it.

If your receiver only has "input" RCA, then you can't.
The receiver has pre-outs next to the sub connection. Please forgive me I am a noob in this realm. Just to be clear, I am trying to tube up my a/v receiver, not have my A/v receiver out to my tube amp. Maybe it's counterintuitive.

Apr 17, 2020 at 9:16 PM Post #6 of 20
The receiver has pre-outs next to the sub connection. Please forgive me I am a noob in this realm. Just to be clear, I am trying to tube up my a/v receiver, not have my A/v receiver out to my tube amp. Maybe it's counterintuitive.
What is the make and model of your A/V receiver?
Pre-outs, like a line-output, but usually can also boost the signal, so the A/V receiver's volume knob would affect the signal strength (loudness) of the pre-out.

Apr 17, 2020 at 9:24 PM Post #7 of 20
What is the make and model of your A/V receiver?
Pre-outs, like a line-output, but usually can also boost the signal, so the A/V receiver's volume knob would affect the signal strength (loudness) of the pre-out.
I connected my tube amp to the pre-out of my marantz nr1403, nothing happened. I plugged the tube amp into my "cd" rcas ( which is a no no) and it sounded like crap

Apr 24, 2020 at 6:18 PM Post #9 of 20
I want to connect a tube amp to my a/v receiver. I want to give my a/v receiver " tube sound". I connected my receiver ( rca pre-outs) to the "3.5 in" on my little bear b4 amp. Nothing happened. I also ( out of desperation) connected the 3.5 output of my tube amp into the "cd" rcas" of my a/v receiver. I know this was a no no. But I did get some terrible sound.

Apr 25, 2020 at 11:31 AM Post #10 of 20
Last edited:
Apr 25, 2020 at 4:00 PM Post #11 of 20
Apr 25, 2020 at 4:47 PM Post #13 of 20
You did that and you say the sound is distorted. Probably because it's a headphone output with a strong signal. Try to reduce the gain onto B4, there may be no distortion.
I will try again , forgive me I'm a noob . would a tube amp with dedicated rca outs on the back work better?

Apr 25, 2020 at 5:18 PM Post #14 of 20
I took your advice and it worked somewhat. The volume needs to be about half way on the amp. I guess it worked, the problem is the receiver sounds way better on its own. Oh well

Users who are viewing this thread

Back